Yellow gunk on oil filler cap

Pistol Pete

Hi all

I've got a 2002 1.6 16v with 40,000 on the clock.

I opened the engine oil filler cap last week and was shocked to see a yellow gunk and water droplets on the underside and on the filler lip. :(

Car was last serviced in December, so pretty confident it wasn't there before then. Should I be fearing the worst about the head gasket? Coolant level doesn't seem to have dropped, and temperature gauge does not move above 90 deg!

Anyone experienced anything similar? :blink:

Thanks
Peter.

CupraSteve

Feb 3, 2006
theres always a bit of condensation that causes a trace of white, especailly if the cars been left standing for a while, dont worry when you gasket goes you oil will be pure toffee

Tallpaul

Jul 2, 2005
do you ever do any short journeys? if so, it'll just be condensation emmulsifying with the oil.

If you only ever do decent length journeys (ie more than 5 miles) it *could* indicate a problem - clean it off and see if it comes back, if it does then it might be worth having it checked out.

Does the 1.6 employ some sort of oil breather hose from the rocker cover? If so, make sure it's not blocked. Also worth checking your coolant for the smell of petrol/oil.

Probably nothing but better to be safe than sorry.

FASTER

Feb 18, 2005
Nottingham
me too! ive got leon 1.6 16v azd engine! i do all sorts of journeys long short etc... the gunks still there! going to do engine flush and oil change soon it may help a little! check your sump breather pipe (the pipe you disconect from airbox) mines junked up solid (not good) clean it best you can if its like it! Ive got k+n filter and ecotech valve if you have any of them it may be problem too??? hope it helps

RikH

Texas Cowboy
Oct 17, 2005
Yorkshire
from what ive learnt from having jap turbos
mustard/mayo under your oil cap means failing headgasket

maybe im wrong in thinking VAG is the same

CupraSteve

Feb 3, 2006
all cars the oil goes white if theres water in it, japanese cars dont run on special oil lol

but in most cases small traces of mayo are just caused by condensation from not doing many miles

Tallpaul

Jul 2, 2005
RikH said:
from what ive learnt from having jap turbos
mustard/mayo under your oil cap means failing headgasket

maybe im wrong in thinking VAG is the same

Mayo under the oil-cap is emulsified water/oil and that is the same no matter what country the car comes from.

The source of the water that forms the emulsion is commonly from one of two places:

1) Water from the coolant getting in to the oil from a failed headgasket - This would usually be accompanied by any or all of the following:
- white smoke from the exhaust
- low coolant levels
- emulsion in the coolant (if water can get in the oil then oil can get into the water)
- smell of petrol/oil in the coolant
- erratic idling
- surging in the level of the coolant expansion tank due to the pressure effect of the piston stroke (only while the engine is running)

2) and much more commonly, water vapour drawn in to the engine is not properly evaporated and expelled with the exhaust gases as the engine has not reached and maintained operating temperature for a sufficient time. When the engine is shut off, this water condenses and collects in the oil. The next time the engine is switched on the oil pump blends the water and oil in to a nice emulsion that collects in places like the filler cap. One a multitude of reasons why short journeys are bad for your car.

Pistol Pete

Thanks for all your replies. Not sure if I'm reassured or not! Car has been used more frequently since mid- Feb as the wife is now using it for work (approx 12 miles on dual carriageway each way). Also each lunchtime (probably just a couple of miles). I'll check the hoses and coolant on Saturday.
Cheers.

RikH

Texas Cowboy
Oct 17, 2005
Yorkshire
****s sake steve mate
did i say jap cars run on different oil?

pete,
nevermind, you have the answer from tallpaul

CupraSteve

Feb 3, 2006
the way you worded it sounded like you were saying that white in the oil came about because they were jap turbos tallpaul thought so too

Mayo under the oil-cap is emulsified water/oil and that is the same no matter what country the car comes from.

paul h

Dec 22, 2005
Lincoln
both my LCR and missus ibiza had mayo under the caps this weekend i just put it down to the cold weather and short journeys as steve mentioned.has been fine since the weather got warmer

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members