Yet another coilpack issue

MARRA

What you talkin' 'bout ?
Dec 3, 2002
West Cumbria
Visit site
Hi folks,

The wifes 1.2 Ibiza was in the dealers last week for misfire and engine diagnostic light on dash. They said they had replaced a coilpack and "to keep an eye on it". They also said that if it did happen again then it was a problem with the wiring.

The same problems returned last night and I was wondering whether it could be another coil or whether it is wiring as the dealer suggested?

Also as the car is not quite 4 years old am I correct to believe that the coilpacks are covered under guarantee but any connented wiring problem wouldn't.

Many thanks

Guinness

Finally got the BMW
Nov 29, 2006
Newcastle
Im sure that coilpacks have been known to go together. but yes I do think they would be coverd under a limited warantee

DFMM

Hi folks,

The wifes 1.2 Ibiza was in the dealers last week for misfire and engine diagnostic light on dash. They said they had replaced a coilpack and "to keep an eye on it". They also said that if it did happen again then it was a problem with the wiring.

The same problems returned last night and I was wondering whether it could be another coil or whether it is wiring as the dealer suggested?

Also as the car is not quite 4 years old am I correct to believe that the coilpacks are covered under guarantee but any connented wiring problem wouldn't.

Many thanks

SEAT increased the warranty on coil-packs to 5 years, as the original supplier was found to be wanting. Several revisions have been made, the latest in 2007. Those have 2 years warranty even if you buy them yourself, beyond the car's 5th birthday. They are easy enough to fit yourself, but the error code needs deleting by VAG. After one pack has failed, the others follow soon after. I fitted 2 new ones for my son, after he had forked out £70 to a SEAT dealer for replacing the first one to fail, at 5 years and 2 months. The pair cost me £54, and the tool for pulling out the old packs was made from a length of fence wire, an "L" shaped hook with a finger-ring on the other end.
Because of warranty still being in force, get the SEAT dealer to do it, at least they know which one is new, but the clean top face and the updated part code told me which to renew.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Fence wire - good man, it was meant to be welding rod - but each to their own! I was one of these lucky people (?) that bought a new coil, same version/issue as that fitted to my wife's Polo, from Ebay! A couple of months later "cars running roughly and engine light on" - I grabbed my VAG-COM and new coil - VAG-COM told me which one was misfiring, I grabbed a couple of smallish screw drivers and eased that one out (not possible with all of them - better to use the L bit of wire), fitted new one, cleared fault code - and the car has been okay since. I did however cruise Ebay and bought the next one - just in case. I could not be bothered with messing about with VW as we use our cars all the time (by I did not know the coils would still be covered by warranty as the car was only 4.5 years old!).

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise