Cupra pic back of evo mag 4 pots?

INSIDER

DYSLEXICS UNTIE!
Oct 17, 2006
It was a very early press release shot with brembos however they are not available on the production cupra:think:

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
It doesn't need them. Having come from a Cupra R with Brembo's the Cupra's brakes are even better. And if you really must have multi-pot brakes, there are far better alternatives to the Brembo's.

Fast_Eddie

BMW 1series M please!
May 16, 2004
Bradford West Yorkshire
iirc 'they' did a similar thing with the first Vrs skoda Octavia.
BMW's are always slated for running sliding calipers on their M cars even the new ones(new M3 still to proven!),so I hope SEAT have not done themselves wrong by going that way.
I did fade my Cupra R's brakes once or twice after a spirited drive on the road, never took it on track so I cant compare, but surely its wrong to picture the car with different calipers to what is being offered for sale.
On the same note, is it possible that 'somebody' has thus far tested 'their' new cupras brakes to melting point yet-I dont think so?:shrug:

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
I was trying pretty hard to get them hot on the media test. The brembo's were very good, but it took a different pad, grooved discs and a braided lines with a quality racing fluid running through them to get them very very good.

I just got the sense the Cupra's brakes didn't really require that much fettling with, but time will reveal how good they remain as they bed in. I think its praise indeed that a standard brake setup on the Cupra, gave me as much if not more confidence than the brembos did on my Cupra R. And i did take that on the track on a few occasions and got them to fade.

They are huge brakes too, almost 14" diameter, some road cars don't have wheels that big :D

Fast_Eddie

BMW 1series M please!
May 16, 2004
Bradford West Yorkshire
ok correct me if i am wrong but we are only talking around 10mm difference in diameter over the Cupra R's discs.
I used to drive my Cupra R very hard on the road with a set of pads lasting about 8/10 thousand miles. People generally drive their cars differently to each other and especially when its new and their own.
Having rallied for 3 years in fords and hill climbed and track day'd Peugeot's for a few years I can honestly say that the R's brakes were very good(bar careless mechanic brake fluid spillage and seizing pad pins) for a heavy car, apart from the cars rearward instability under very heavy braking.
As you said ZBOYD, time will tell-I am sure its far too early to confidently say that the brakes on the new Cupra are as good if not better that the old ones. New car hysteria and well wishes often takes over during road test only to be re-written once familiarity has settled in.
On a plus point-it would be very good if the new Cupra's set up is better than the old one;)

Fishy

May 16, 2005
Guys we need to remember that a stock brake setup is designed for ROAD use. If you're going to track it then you make the required changes.

Fish

warren_cox

Back from the dead
If the Cupra's brakes are the same as the S3's (and I'd be suprised if they are not), they are perfectly acceptable. Can't say they are any better or worse than the LCR's Brembo's. Seem to kick off similar amounts of brake dust. Pedal feel if far improved but the ABS does seem a little eager to kick in if you go over a small bump in the road when you're braking.

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
If the Cupra's brakes are the same as the S3's (and I'd be suprised if they are not), they are perfectly acceptable. Can't say they are any better or worse than the LCR's Brembo's. Seem to kick off similar amounts of brake dust. Pedal feel if far improved but the ABS does seem a little eager to kick in if you go over a small bump in the road when you're braking.

brakes should be seeing as the engines are the same.......... ;) You know thats true even if Audi are too proud to admit it.

Actually i thought the Cupra brakes were Mk5 R32 ones which were bigger than the mk4 R32's.

Tam

Santa in disguise :)
Feb 10, 2005
Near Reevo :)
Exactly right. However, my origional point was that SEAT are advertising the new Cupra with 4 pots on yet they are not fitting them to the car?

Now I'm no car expert, but how in the hell can you tell they are 4 pots from that photo?? (we are talking the yellow cupra on the back cover of the actual mag aint we?)

Fast_Eddie

BMW 1series M please!
May 16, 2004
Bradford West Yorkshire
Yes we are fella. If you look at the caliper you can make out that it is of monoblock(albeit in two halves) design and not a sliding(single-sometimes double piston) caliper with cut outs and keyways, as per fitment to 95% of cars.
As posted above, sometimes sliding calipers do work well especially with big disks but back to my origional point-Why show the car with a different set up to what is being sold.
It happened on the first Vrs skoda too--that was advertised as having green brembos on and when it arrived it had green sliding calipers. Must be a VAG thing?

Cupra R

Dec 5, 2001
UK.
Visit site
I heard that the Brembo's were going to be fitted, but on testing Seat found that they weren't quite up to the job and giving diffculties in stopping the new Cupra, so the set up that is now on them was sourced.

I was told from an Audi set-up.

Fast_Eddie

BMW 1series M please!
May 16, 2004
Bradford West Yorkshire
Ah ok that could explain it--I am sure we will have reports back soon enough of how the new set up copes..I really do hope it is better as to completely get rid of the brembos fade whilst on the road would be great:D

Cupra R

Dec 5, 2001
UK.
Visit site
Ah ok that could explain it--I am sure we will have reports back soon enough of how the new set up copes..I really do hope it is better as to completely get rid of the brembos fade whilst on the road would be great:D

I experienced fade on my LCR brakes once, at a time that I really didn't need it either lol. So I too hope the new setup is better.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.