Front Brake Upgrade for Leon MkII FR.

johnvx220

May 10, 2007
Plymouth
Yes I did, thanks so I will wait and see if I get a reply. Sent a email to Toyo tyres 3 weeks ago and didnt bother to reply :(.

johnvx220

May 10, 2007
Plymouth
Spoke to Minterx today. They are not as yet doing a 1144 pads for the MK2 leon / golf but another which is still under test. Asked the guy to email me with details. He recons about a 15% upgrade from standard with a lot of install bit. Will let you know as soon as get any details.

chippenhamwilts

Mar 31, 2007
Are you guys upgrading your brake fluids. Personnaly I would suggest keeping the standard calipers, changing the fluid for an improved spec, change the pads as well for a MUCH better spec and get good quality drilled and grooved discs (as opposed to the extremely mass produced....throw a few more old bean and beer cans in the mix type discs currently fitted. It would save you a few quid and you'd still get a good improvement.

Most brake fade is down to a hot pad giving of gas as the glues which hold it together melt, this traps between pad and disc preventing contact..'oh my god no brakes' syndrome follows. By have drilled holes and grooves the gas has somewhere to escape and hey presto we have contact.

For better results, get some better tyres first. You can improve braking by 15-20% with these alone and its still cheaper than a new brake setup.

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
The current setup isnt all that bad, its made by ATE so a solid setup.
Off course chaging pads and discs will improve quite alot. I dont think many people on here will actually ever see the limitation on the standard brakes.

I used them on the track alot, they were pretty flawless really, as a standard setup. (312mm)

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
I agree with DanGB. The standard set-up from what I tested seems pretty good, only thing I would say is SEAT don't put the best pads on the market on so a pad upgrade should yield pretty good results. Maybe keeping same size disc but with a drilled and groove setup will be good as well...

k4ith

Goodson!
Sep 3, 2006
West Lothian
what companies do a good replacement discs & pads at the moment, as when i quiereed a co for the MK5 set up they advised it wouldn't fit the mk2 leon plus most websites dont list the new leon.

jonnyash

fr 170 tdi
Jun 6, 2007
north somerset
The current setup isnt all that bad, its made by ATE so a solid setup.
Off course chaging pads and discs will improve quite alot. I dont think many people on here will actually ever see the limitation on the standard brakes.

I used them on the track alot, they were pretty flawless really, as a standard setup. (312mm)

get you!

CupraSport

Mar 8, 2004
Bolton
Visit site

RCS2K4

Aug 28, 2007
Milton Keynes
www.xrct.co.uk
Cupra brakes would be a sound upgrade. I drive my car pretty fast, and brake hard for all of the roundabouts that Milton Keynes is saddled with.

No brake fade to hear of, and the initial bite from cold or hot is exceptional. I'm even more shocked now learning that they are single piston only!!! I've had the company of a Nissan 350Z GT for the past 10 days (It has 4-pot Brembo), and getting back in the Cupra almost sees me being launched out the windscreen - They really are that good compared to the Brembo set-up of the so called "sport's car".

Oh yeah, did I also mention that in 14500 miles of driving the pads only look about 40-50% worn? Either I drive like my auntie (not likley!), or they are very hard wearing.

Probably the best value option IMO. Not that im biased or anything... ;)

Last edited:

CupraSport

Mar 8, 2004
Bolton
Visit site
Just get someone with a car to get the parts using there chassis number :) and jobs a good un.

What you will neeed is carriers, back plates, calipers I cannot think of anything else. One this to think about is the ABS my need recalibrating as well.

Last edited:

leviathan18

Jan 30, 2007
Venezuela, Caracas
the cupra upgrade costs about 800$ a lot less than any kit i have all the part numbers for the upgrade

the caliper is 1 pot ( the number of pistons only determine the brake feel you get) and if you are going to upgrade instead of buying the original rubber lines get metal ones to improve fade, get hawk pads and you are done.

there is also a good cheap option K sport, they come 6 pot and 8 pot

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.