Front Brake Upgrade for Leon MkII FR.

GREY 225

Jim R
Oct 15, 2006
I thought new cuprra brakes were powerfull at first but this is just an impression caused by them being over servo'd and i think they lack feel.I think the reason seat, no matter what they say didnt fit brembos is because of the cost and the group branding,it wouldnt do to have cupra on brembos while s3 and r32 are using the parts bin for there brakes,i would think that vag saved alot of money by not going to brembo for its brakes.There is no way single piston calipers are better than multi piston.

Jan 18, 2007
West Of London
The cupra brakes were put to damn good use at Snetterton by 2 Cupras a few weeks ago and they suffered no fade. Agree that the pad, disc, tyre and brake line upgrade would be worth considering BEFORE changing the setup. You will be very silly if you are the braking limit in most cars and only in an emergency will they really make the difference. As for the upgrade, if you are able to take advantage of the US dollar exchange rate, have you considered the Porsche Cayenne 352mm brake upgrade?

Mr.SeZ

Jan 18, 2007
whats a good upgraded disk/pad and brake fluid setup 4 a FR as a cheaper option? will sum of the aftermarket golf gti disks/pads fit?

Last edited:

Mr.SeZ

Jan 18, 2007
sorry, i ment like if u just changed the standard disks and pads for maybe e.g. black diamond 1's.

sewercyde

Updates?

I've requested the Upgrade options from VW here in SA. I asked for theR32 Upgrade an Cupra upgrade to fit my FR....just interested in seeing the price difference:p

Mar 30, 2008
Edinburgh
i'm tempted to got for R32 caliper upgrade, ditch the oem discs for tarox R32 upgrade discs (there are several to choose from) with EBC green stuff pads.

Also a set of goodrich stainless steel braided lines.

Hurdy

Yorkshire - born and bred
Oct 7, 2008
South Yorkshire
Who mentioned deep pockets?:D

I wouldn't go back to my OEM set-up now. The GTI brakes are very poor for a car with such abilities. The Cupra brakes are better, but still could benefit aftermarket pads with a higher coefficient of friction.

As for mine, they are about as good as you can get...pricey though!

Eddy Gein

Jan 23, 2007
Iv got an FR tdi and about to get the dpf delete so im looking at the cupra brakes. My question is, is there any point in getting front and rears or just go for the fronts?

Might be a stupid question but dont know that much about brakes.

Cheers.

LeonFR07DSG

Aug 15, 2008
Hertfordshire
Iv got an FR tdi and about to get the dpf delete so im looking at the cupra brakes. My question is, is there any point in getting front and rears or just go for the fronts?

Might be a stupid question but dont know that much about brakes.

Cheers.

i upgraded my pads to ferodo ds2500's and also upgraded the fluid to 5.1 .... made a massive difference on standard discs.

Eddy Gein

Jan 23, 2007
My pads are nearing the end of the life now anyway so I will atleast be getting better pads soon. The thing is I want to upgrade to bigger brakes and calipers for the looks just as much as the extra stopping power. Iv got 19" wheels and the standard discs look to small and the calipers aint the prettiest ones around either.

owen lcr

orvil
Oct 10, 2006
montrose, scotland
there are loads of big brake choices out there most ranging from £1500 to £2000. you can pick up a set of RS4 calipers from ebay now and again for about 6-800 with discs, if you get that option you can mate them with RS6 discs to fill your wheels a bit and also have immense stopping power. they are a direct fit and should cost you under £1000.

trust me they are good

Chris4125

Leon FR
Apr 15, 2010
herts
the cupra upgrade costs about 800$ a lot less than any kit i have all the part numbers for the upgrade

the caliper is 1 pot ( the number of pistons only determine the brake feel you get) and if you are going to upgrade instead of buying the original rubber lines get metal ones to improve fade, get hawk pads and you are done.

there is also a good cheap option K sport, they come 6 pot and 8 pot

could you give me the part numbers and do you have prices and part numbers for the rear aswell?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.