This is the new Ibiza Cupra!

Tom B

Apr 2, 2002
Northampton
To be honest, from experience, there isn't that much difference between the TT brakes and the AP 4 pots. ABS makes the pad grip the disc with the same friction regardless of the size of your brakes.

I think you've hit the nail on the head there Poverty, that would make the most sense. I would've thought they would've called it FR though, but then again the Cupra name may sell better overseas.

chris285

leon mk1 fr tdi
Nov 26, 2004
lincoln, uk
the more i think about this the weirder it seems, as what will the fr be then as there has been no mention of it yet and its supposed to be out before the cupra

Poverty

Im thinking that maybe SEAT will still release a FR model, as a gap model fill in between the cupra and the 1.6.

This could lead to there being 3 performance ibiza's, and the trend could possibly follow with the SEAT Leon as there might be a even faster model than the LEON CUPRA.

Skisbp

I'm thinking that maybe SEAT will still release a FR model, as a gap model fill in between the Cupra and the 1.6.

This could lead to there being 3 performance Ibiza's, and the trend could possibly follow with the SEAT Leon as there might be a even faster model than the LEON CUPRA.

Following this line of thought, it would seem reasonable to believe that the FR could be powered by the 150hp version of the 1.4TSI found in the Tiguan... I still have to believe that the 1.4TfSI 125hp will be offered. Yet that seems more like a Sportier sport rather than an FR. :whistle:

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
Either SEAT are getting rid of the FR, and gonna bring back the cupra R name or something similiar, or this is one big wind up.

The cupra as far as my sources have been saying would have a 200hp 2.0T.

Also why would the cupra debut before a FR version. Totally against tradition. And finally the supposed "cupra" looks like crap, and 180hp from that weezy 1.4 is crap.

If my sources are indeed wrong and this is the top of the range ibiza then all the best SEAT, cause I will either get a Leon Cupra of leave SEAT all together. If this is real what a let down.

Think your sources are miles off mate.

VAG will only be using the 2.0T engines on family segment ,perfomance car or high end perfomance standalones like the scirocco and TT.

The supermini's (if you can call the mk5 ibiza that now) is all about small capacity to lower the C02.

You only have to look at peugeot and Fiat. Fiat are pushing 180 bhp out of a 1.4 to keep emissions down and peugeot are putting the Mini turbo engine in virtually everything they have, even The new RC-Z is going to have the John Cooper works tuned version of the 1.6 Turbo lump in it.

have to say i have reserved judgment on the mk5 hoping it may get better, but it looks to me like thats your lot, an ugly car indeed. If i was a mk4 owner i would be holding on to my mk4 cupra for a while longer as there is no alternative apart from a Marque change

Poverty

Faster model than the Leon Cupra? When's that out then?

If it does happen not till after the facelift. Basically, Audi are developing a RS TT, and they are thinking about making a RS3 with that same engine but slightly less powerful than the RS TT.

This basically means there will be enough of a gap for SEAT to offer a even faster leon than the cupra, and VW is basically going to be selling a S3 with a VW badge soon also which bodes well with the constant rumours of a faster leon cupra. We can do nothing but hope :D

Think your sources are miles off mate.

VAG will only be using the 2.0T engines on family segment ,perfomance car or high end perfomance standalones like the scirocco and TT.

The supermini's (if you can call the mk5 ibiza that now) is all about small capacity to lower the C02.

You only have to look at peugeot and Fiat. Fiat are pushing 180 bhp out of a 1.4 to keep emissions down and peugeot are putting the Mini turbo engine in virtually everything they have, even The new RC-Z is going to have the John Cooper works tuned version of the 1.6 Turbo lump in it.

have to say i have reserved judgment on the mk5 hoping it may get better, but it looks to me like thats your lot, an ugly car indeed. If i was a mk4 owner i would be holding on to my mk4 cupra for a while longer as there is no alternative apart from a Marque change

Well I totally disagree and this is why.

Firstly the audi A1 will be utilising the 2.0TFSI.

Secondly the new EA888 series design 2.0TFSI kicks out 20g/km less co2 and has much better MPG whilst giving a extra 40hp than the 1.4 Twincharger. It is also a extremely reliable and compact engine, and cheap to produce, something the 1.4 twincharger isnt so much. Therefore I shall stick with what my sources suggest. The 2.0TFSI is a phenomanal engine and would be perfect in the hothatches and no other hothatch has a engine fitted that can boast the power, flexibility and great CO2 and mpg ratings of the 2.0TFSI.

Also going by past SEAT trends there has always been a gap of about 45hp between the fastest leon and fastest ibiza, therefore based on the assumption that this will continue SEAT will offer a ibiza with about 210hp to keep this balance. Also it is extremly unusual for a manufacturer to release their fastest model so quickly after a model launch!

seatcuprarkc1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

xJib

Just to point out that the engine in the Cupra is a brand new Twin Turbo and is not the same engine as the 1.4 Twincharger found in the Golf.

I can't see them bringing out a faster Ibiza in the future. You have to remember 180bhp is a lot in what is still a small car, and I think people get blaise about power numbers. This sounds like an excellent compromise, you've got a fuel sipping 1.4 for when your stuck in traffic or nipping to Tesco (other super markets are available) and you've got 180 stampeding horses the 3 times a year you find yourself on an open road in Wales. You have to remember manufactures have no interest in you modifying their cars so they're not going to design it in.

turkish

Mar 14, 2003
Kent
Visit site
Just to point out that the engine in the Cupra is a brand new Twin Turbo and is not the same engine as the 1.4 Twincharger found in the Golf.

I can't see them bringing out a faster Ibiza in the future. You have to remember 180bhp is a lot in what is still a small car, and I think people get blaise about power numbers. This sounds like an excellent compromise, you've got a fuel sipping 1.4 for when your stuck in traffic or nipping to Tesco (other super markets are available) and you've got 180 stampeding horses the 3 times a year you find yourself on an open road in Wales. You have to remember manufactures have no interest in you modifying their cars so they're not going to design it in.

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/News/Search-Results/First-Official-Pictures/Seat-Ibiza-Cupra-and-Ecomotion-first-photos/

According to CAR it is the same twin compressor set up with just a few more ponies. They might be wrong though, it might indeed be a new engine with two turbos.

xJib

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/News/Search-Results/First-Official-Pictures/Seat-Ibiza-Cupra-and-Ecomotion-first-photos/

According to CAR it is the same twin compressor set up with just a few more ponies. They might be wrong though, it might indeed be a new engine with two turbos.

From the Seat Media center

Making its debut on the new Ibiza CUPRA is a brand-new version of the powerful, efficient 1.4 TSI engine. This twin-turbo engine now delivers 180 hp and is mated to a seven speed DSG gearbox with steering wheel shift-paddles.

turkish

Mar 14, 2003
Kent
Visit site
From the Seat Media center

Sounds promising then...... I don't get VW/Audi the new 3.0 audi engines are going to be Supercharged and not turbocharged to match BMW - yet they release a brand new Twin Turbo 1.4 engine, when all along they have a twin compressor engine. All seems very odd.

dancupra

i thought it held such good hopes, looking at how good the mk5 5 door looked, and the new 3 door sc too, but if thats the way seat are doing the cupra then ill be keeping my monies me thinks

Poverty

I believe that to be wrong, there was no press release or any news or leaked news from my usual sources that would have mentioned such a engine being in development. This is a twincharger engine, the only reason why they probably touted it as being "new" is due to it having 180hp!

All the info I have seen on the A1 has suggested it will use the 1.4 VW family engines.

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Secret-...i-A1-revealed/

Every manufacture is cutting down engine sizes to benefit greater emmision and fuel economy.

Audi S1 will have a 2.0TFSI. Also as I previously mentioned 2.0TFSI drinks less petrol and kicks out less emissions than the 1.4 TSI with 170hp.

Sounds promising then...... I don't get VW/Audi the new 3.0 audi engines are going to be Supercharged and not turbocharged to match BMW

My sources said its because audi had difficulties in making a 3.0 twin turbo compact enough to fit in all the different range of vehicles they wanted that engine to be fitted in, without having to destroy weight distribution. The 3.0 supercharged engined is phenomanal in its design as to just how compact a engine it is!

Last edited by a moderator:

xJib

I believe that to be wrong, there was no press release or any news or leaked news from my usual sources that would have mentioned such a engine being in development. This is a twincharger engine, the only reason why they probably touted it as being "new" is due to it having 180hp!

Ok if you say so. :shrug:

Here's the email address of the Seat press centre as they've obviously got it wrong.

[email protected]

Poverty

Ok if you say so. :shrug:

Here's the email address of the Seat press centre as they've obviously got it wrong.

[email protected]

it wouldnt be the first time ;)

Also why would VAG have 3 different 1.4 forced induction engines all doing relatively the same power etc?

There is a:

1.4 Turbo
1.4 twincharger (turbo and supercharger)
And now you reckon there is a 1.4 twinturbo? Doesnt make sense.

blackturbo

Apr 3, 2006
Fleet, Hants
It looks cr*p, period. The mk3 was the best Cupra, mk4 was ok but only marginally quicker if at all and too high as standard, (altho the diesel was an inspired idea) this just looks naff full stop, too under powered, too boring to look at, to high and boring.