Tyre Choices

jjay

I thought id just add a little slice from another site regards this expensive corner rubber thing could shine some light on tyre engineering.

Asymmetrical tread: A pattern in which one side does not correspond to the other side.

The tread of a tire which has different shapes/patterns and sizes of grooves in the same tire. Often they are divided into three distinct patterns: The outside shoulder, the center zone, and the inside shoulder. The outside shoulder tread will have larger shoulder elements with very few sipes to provide increased cornering stability. The center tread zone enhances steering control. The inside shoulder tread zone provides additional traction because the shape of the tread elements, sipes and larger shoulder slots help disperse water and slush. Obviously these tires must be mounted only one way so that the outside pattern is actually on the outside of the wheel.

Directional tire: Directional designs are recognized by the grooves in the tread that swipe away in a backward angle from the center of the tread face and rotate in only one direction. A direction of rotation arrow is located on both sidewalls of the tire. Directional tires enhance straight-line acceleration, provide maximum dry traction, better wet performance which helps to reduce rolling resistance as well as providing shorter stopping distances.

It really comes down to a give and take scenario. A directional tread design will offer better wet traction. An asymmetrical tire will give better dry traction and dry handling.

Please keep in mind that the above information is speculative and the final comparative outcome is dependant on the specific tires that you are trying to compare.
------------------------------------

Asymmetric pattern: Tread patterns which differ on either side of the tire -

• Asymmetric tires have been designed to optimize the opposing requirements of dry grip and water dispersal. They are good for high speed cornering due to the greater contact area which helps reduce tread wear on the outside shoulder.
• Application: High performance and Motorsport tires.

Directional pattern: Tread patterns characterized by lateral grooves on both sides of the tire which point in the same direction.
• Advantages of directional tread patterns are good driving force and braking performance. In particular directional patterns provide good water dispersal for greater stability on wet roads.
• Directional tires must be mounted in the direction of the tread pattern.
• Applications: Passenger car tire for high-speed use.

-----------------------------------

Designing a tyre tread which will operate equally well rotating in either direction inevitably involves compromises which limit ultimate performance in some respects.

An asymmetric tyre has different tread patterns on its inner and outer sides, giving it a distinct performance advantage over a tyre with a symmetrical or directional tread.
• The tread pattern on the inner side of a typical asymmetric tyre has more grooves giving better grip on wet roads
• The outer side has a higher plain surface area, the benefit of which becomes apparent when cornering at speed on a dry road

Directional tyres, on the other hand, are designed to rotate in one direction only (indicated by a conspicuous arrow pointing in the direction of rotation on the sidewall along with the word "rotation"); so performance - wet grip, directional stability and handling - far from being compromised, is optimised.

THE ABOVE IS A QUOTE FROM ANOTHER FORUM :whistle:

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
So, we're saying out of the two go for the Goodyear Eagle F1's all round and avoid the P-Zeros (not good in the wet?).

So, they have the GSD3's and Asymetrics - same price for both - anybody know which are best?

had gsd3 now on asymetrics all round. feel very similar...

Timberwolf

w1ickeds1ck
Dec 31, 2006
Berkshire!
I am in the process of changing mine too, It needs front two changing, rear tyres are fine, front two are nearly ilegal. I have Michelin PS2's all round now. I think I might stick with them and get them replaced with 2 new PS2's. 1 thing this tyre does does better than others is give good level of grip in wet. I have had PZERO'S before and the Michelins are much better.

I could get Toyo's at trade price since My friend works for an import tuner company. Should I bother?

conroe

Hello i had pzero's and found them to be near to awfull in the wet getting any kind of power down in the wet was a nightmare so i replaced them with F1 assymetrics, and i would say it is the best thing i have done, i no longer struggle to keep up with cyclists of the lights in the wet [B)]

cap r 225

the need for speed!
Feb 24, 2008
nantwich
www.seatcupra.net
i'm just looking for two new tyres now, i'm a beleiver that a car is designed to run on the tyre it was produced with. although p-zero's seem to get such a slating all the time?!
i think my car holds the road really well in the dry (i have p-zero's). granted it is poor in the wet but what car isn't, wet=slippy! i neva push my car when it's rainning anyway as it clearly is more risky:drive2:
i'm now thinking though could it be even better?

if anybody has any recommendations and reasons for choice i'd be very intrested to hear your opinion, otherwise i think i'll just stick with me p-zero's.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
One of my mates was at a 1/4 mile sprint day yesterday in his 330 BHP ish MK2 Leon Cupra.
On one of the races hes was up against a ITR with R888's. My mate has F1 Assymetrics and got better starts than the ITR did, Oh and beat it considerably;)

Matt85

Feb 6, 2007
Bucks
Goodyear Assymetrics for me. Gradually changed from the original P-Zeros 2 at a time. Noticable difference afterwards - better streering, more grip and better ride over bumps.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
i pressume "itr" means integra type R, surely this is more down to the car than the tyres. what's an integra...240bh????
I take it you don't know much about the Integra Type R?

This is supposed to be the best FWD handling car built. Coupled with R888's you'd expect this to get off the line like a 4WD

It was more the handling I was getting at rather than the fact my mate beat it

kevlpool24

apr tuned
Mar 15, 2008
liverpool
depends which integra a dc2 is 190bhp an a dc5 is 220bhp bear in mind the dc5 supposed to be run on 100ron fuel so most are down on power abit still rapid as thou

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
i'm just looking for two new tyres now, i'm a beleiver that a car is designed to run on the tyre it was produced with. although p-zero's seem to get such a slating all the time?!
i think my car holds the road really well in the dry (i have p-zero's). granted it is poor in the wet but what car isn't, wet=slippy! i neva push my car when it's rainning anyway as it clearly is more risky:drive2:
i'm now thinking though could it be even better?

if anybody has any recommendations and reasons for choice i'd be very intrested to hear your opinion, otherwise i think i'll just stick with me p-zero's.

nice theory but i dont agree. i think its cost amongst other things. some rubber is stickier and stays stickier for longer. it costs more to produce but on some cars makes a huge difference.

our cars are prone to wheelspin, understeer. in the wet the car is much more of a handful even at low speeds with p-zeros than with gsds. its not so much how much faster you can take a corner in bad conditions... more how comfortable and sure footed the car feels.. easier and more pleasurable to drive.

we also have a passat tdi estate which is great on p-zeros.... mind you the body roll gets cracking long before they tyres get warm:lol:

if you can ... get 4 new awesome tyres. your car should feel "better" all over.

Pat J

Detailing obsessive
Jun 12, 2008
North Lincolnshire
Mine has got Dunlops on which were on it when I got it. I have done 10K in it since I got it and there still looks to be plenty of life in them. Don't seem that bad although I have to say I have had varied results with dunlops on my other cars. I had been told to try Hankook tyres on it when I change them by the tyre fitters. But I don't know which to choose as I need a compromise tyre really want good handling and good mileage have a 100 mile round trip to work everyday so don't want to be changing tyres every month :(
Went through a set of Yokahama A008r's in a day at the ring when I had my Mk.1 MR2:whistle:

cap r 225

the need for speed!
Feb 24, 2008
nantwich
www.seatcupra.net

This is supposed to be the best FWD handling car built. Coupled with R888's you'd expect this to get off the line like a 4WD

don't do jap crap, always been a ford man until now! sorry i misunderstood what you meant!

mad-for-tar

De-boosting
Oct 30, 2007
Essex...
Had F1 Assymmetrics on my B5 S4 before I sold it...great tyre, limits of adhesion I would say almost byond physical perception! :-o

Currently running F1 GSD3's upfront, had to get tyres in a hurry and was all that was available to me.
Have Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas on the rear, cant fault them, if anything, tad less grip than the F1's but barely noticeable.

Overall very happy with the rubber setup on my Leon so far...:)

Avant4me

Oct 13, 2005
Bristol
Great tyre debate

And the great tyre debate wheel takes another turn!!!!!!:whistle:

TO summarise the above then
Goodyear - OK
Falkens- OK
Toyo - OK
Dunlop - OK

Pirelli - Bad
Budgets - Worse
Cheap ass remoulds - Very bad go to the head master office!

WaveyDaveyGravy

But I'm so tasty
Jan 3, 2006
Shipley
And the great tyre debate wheel takes another turn!!!!!!:whistle:

TO summarise the above then
Goodyear - OK
Falkens- OK
Toyo - OK
Dunlop - OK

Pirelli - Bad
Budgets - Worse
Cheap ass remoulds - Very bad go to the head master office!

That is a very good summary. Have a gold star! Just got a set of 4 GSD3s yesterday, I'd expect them to last till I get rid of the car. When that is is another question....

Mr OCD

May 1, 2008
Manchester, UK

No you wouldnt as the R888's are track tyres and require sufficient heat to generate grip which it wont do on the drag strip hence would have less grip. ;)

I've used alot of tyres and dont mind trying out new stuff... currently have Hankook EVO V12 (just released) and they are superb - also wiping the floor with all competitors in german tyre tests :)

Bogwoppit

Aug 30, 2005
Lincs
MR OCD,

I am going to be getting 4 Hankook EVO V12's fitted to mine in the near future after reading various German tyre tests. Glad to hear someone's opinion on them, I take it you are impressed then? Camskill has the Hankooks for a really good price too.

Mr OCD

May 1, 2008
Manchester, UK
MR OCD,

I am going to be getting 4 Hankook EVO V12's fitted to mine in the near future after reading various German tyre tests. Glad to hear someone's opinion on them, I take it you are impressed then? Camskill has the Hankooks for a really good price too.

Very ... wet weather performance is awesome :D

I got mine for £60 a tyre fitted... ;)

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise