Tyre Choices

kevlpool24

apr tuned
Mar 15, 2008
liverpool
does anyone use yokahama parada spec 2s i want these bit unsure as my tyres are 225 45 17s an they only make them 215 40 17s would these fit ok

DannyC87

Rubbing is Racing :-)
Mar 4, 2008
apparently they are pants in the wet. i was quite interested in them too; they do look very cool! i think the 45-40 aspect ratio would make a noticable difference to the rolling radius and therefore put your speedo out.

WaveyDaveyGravy

But I'm so tasty
Jan 3, 2006
Shipley
I just got a pair of Eagle F1's for the back of mine for 180.

Quick question on eagle F1's. I got some in November and the front pair seem pretty close to the wear indicator bands across the tyres.

This seems a little extreme as I wouldnt of even done 10k on them yet. My comute is about 9 miles motorway the rest dual carriage way. They seem to have warn down quickly tho!!

I've got 21k out of mine on the front and they need replacing. I'm not a hooligan but there's not much motorway on that. I'm quite smooth and sympathetic on cars though.

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
ive got 4 barnd new pirelli pzeros on mine and mine handles mint doesnt wheel spin or anything never had any problems with them. suppose its down to personal chice

Having tried Toyo T1-R, Goodyears and Pirelli's I'd rank the Goodyears as the best in all aspects
Price, wear, wet performance, dry performance etc

Toyo's were second best and a good alternative

The issue used to be with Pirellis that;-
A - they were poor in the wet
B - Whatever air pressure you put in the weak side wall would distort at speed and the Centre of the tyres wears way before the edges, leaving 3mm+ on the edges and bald in the centre. Slightly annoying to say the least

stevei'D

Jul 22, 2008
just to throw a spanner in the works i got bridgestone potenzas all round on mine and never had a problem wet or dry and i got a stage 1 custom code

I'll add a hammer to the works and say I too have the potenza's and I think there are an excellent tyre. Not the cheapest or expensive and i'm gona get around 12K on the fronts in an FR+. A few miles under them and they grip superbly

Someone mentioned vederstrain tyres, heard these are excellent for motorway miles as there are hard wearing but suffer a little lack of grip but all depends on what you need.

The Pirelli's for some reason (when i've had them) always wear very quickly on the rear more so than i'd expect, only got 20k on the rear of an S40D 17K for the fronts. Odd!

The goodyear GDS3 now superseeded as such are an excellent tyre, I know a certain police force use these and the F1 for all there vehicles.

stevie steve

Nov 27, 2006
Clevedon
I did have Continental Conti Contact sport 2's. (or something like that)

They seem to last ages. My Eagle F1s on the front are swear are near wearing out. Only got them in Nov last year. that just seems really short for a tyres life span. I prob do about 600 miles a month.

Jonny

slightly insane monkey
Jul 5, 2005
South Wales
just to throw a spanner in the works i got bridgestone potenzas all round on mine and never had a problem wet or dry and i got a stage 1 custom code

I also have Potenza RE050A on my phase 2 LCR :) Wet & dry grip I'd say is definately as good as the GSD3's I had previously, and slightly better than the Sport Maxx I've also had. Being an asymmetric tread pattern, I find tram lining is reduced, and straight line stability is improved also.

I'd definately have them again, specially as they were less than £90 per corner (fitted), although I am very tempted to try the new Goodyear F1 asymmetrics.

Saying that though, I had a leaflet from Costco (members only :p) saying they're doing 25% off Michellin tyres... that makes their PS2's only £112 which includes: Mounting, Balancing, Lifetime Services, Nitrogen Inflation, New Rubber Valve Stem, Environmental Tyre Disposal, and the Costco Road Hazard Warranty. :funk: Unfortunately for me, I don't need tyres just yet & the promotion ends at the end of the month :doh:

stewbie55

No longer a Newbie
Aug 12, 2006
I also have Potenza RE050A on my phase 2 LCR :) Wet & dry grip I'd say is definately as good as the GSD3's I had previously, and slightly better than the Sport Maxx I've also had. Being an asymmetric tread pattern, I find tram lining is reduced, and straight line stability is improved also.

I'd definately have them again, specially as they were less than £90 per corner (fitted), although I am very tempted to try the new Goodyear F1 asymmetrics.

I currently have GSD3's all round and planning to fit a pair of F1 asymmetrics to the front next week. I know the wisdom is to put the new tyres on the rear but from what you say above about tram lining/straight line stability I'm wondering/hoping they may reduce torque steer too which would be more of an advantage to me?

The GSD's on the front have over 13k miles on them now which isn't too bad I think, as that's included 2 track days and 2 1/4 mile days :whistle:

NickT

Mar 29, 2004
LB, Beds
10k seems a bit crap to me hmmmmm

Thanks for the pointer about Falkens, I was close to choosing them.

I wouldn't write them off on the strength of that, your F1's have lasted about as long haven't they? Plus I think UncleFesters back yard is 'roundabout central' of the UK or at least Bucks.
IMO the Falkens are good but in the company of the other tyres being mentioned in this thread, Toyos, Conti 2's, Eagle F1's/Assyms, Vredestein Ultrac, Potenzas etc they're probably punching a bit above their weight on performance but for the money they're a good compromise.
Of course for a performance tyre it's got to grip and to achieve that they're gonna be soft so I wouldn't expect mega mileage.

I've got 21k out of mine on the front and they need replacing. I'm not a hooligan but there's not much motorway on that. I'm quite smooth and sympathetic on cars though.

How the feck have you managed that?:blink:
I've had Toyo T1s, Michelin PS2's and lastly Falken FK452's and they've all lasted about 10k on average, I'd love to get 15-20k out of a set.
My commute is 9 miles each way, fairly fast but twisty so I can only assume that's what's killing them. It's not like i'm lighting them up at every set of lights etc. cos I'm past all that.

Mar 3, 2008
sunny Devon
falken fk 452 mate!!!!!!! so good i would bet my life on them!!

cheers................

i get 6k out of falkens if i hammer them,20k on the rear and drive nice 9k on the front!

everyone has there own idea whats best... take your pick...................................!

WaveyDaveyGravy

But I'm so tasty
Jan 3, 2006
Shipley
How the feck have you managed that?:blink:
I've had Toyo T1s, Michelin PS2's and lastly Falken FK452's and they've all lasted about 10k on average, I'd love to get 15-20k out of a set.
My commute is 9 miles each way, fairly fast but twisty so I can only assume that's what's killing them. It's not like i'm lighting them up at every set of lights etc. cos I'm past all that.

Well I don't really slide it about alot and I have a smooth driving style, so I don't really ask a lot of the tyres round corners - most of the hard work is done leading up to them. Plus I pop a PSI or two extra in to sharpen up the steering response. What will wear tyres out is strong braking rather than acceleration and hard cornering.

NickT

Mar 29, 2004
LB, Beds
Well I don't really slide it about alot and I have a smooth driving style, so I don't really ask a lot of the tyres round corners - most of the hard work is done leading up to them. Plus I pop a PSI or two extra in to sharpen up the steering response. What will wear tyres out is strong braking rather than acceleration and hard cornering.

I don't slide mine about either and generally avoid heavy braking too, I'll have to book myself in to the Wavey school of motoring!

Nabraxas

Feb 11, 2007
Well, I have 4 new Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrics on my car - not really had chance to see what they're like yet as I need to run them in for a bit, though the steering feels better straight away.

Pottsy-1981

the main stealer put 4 new tyres on before i picked the car up.

They put Federal's on in place of the pirelli's

I have been using federals for a while now on my last motor, they aint too bad. Only thing is they are a soft compound so they do turn sticky when they warmed up but they do wear quicker than usual...

I'll second that! I've got over 22k out of 2 separate sets of GSD3's. I don't drive slow but I agree smoothness is the key......works for me!