5W/30 oil in a Leon Cupra ?

andy15star

Apr 17, 2005
Durham
I've just done a "What's the best oil for me" on the castrol website, put my registration plate in and it came up with :

EDGE 5W-30

Engine EDGE 5W-30 (d) 3.5
Manual Transmission TAF-X 2.0
Automatic Transmission -
Differential From Gearbox
Coolant REFER TO MAIN DEALER (e) 7.0
Brake Fluid RESPONSE SUPER DOT 4
Grease Points LM GREASE
Constant Velocity Joints MOLY GREASE
Power Steering (where fitted) REFER TO MAIN DEALER

So am i reading into this correctly that the Magnatec 5W/30 would be fine for my car, even though they recommend 5W/30 EDGE ?

Regards,
Andy

MEXCUPRAR

Mar 15, 2006
I use 5w40 Mobil 1, expensive, hard to find but can handle hotter temps and has that 5 for a bit of thickness when cold. 10 is too thick for the pump i've been told... I have an LCR

Just one more thing 0w40 is reccomended by Mobil for 1.8T although 5w30 and 0w30 are fine too

Last edited:

vwbassett

Joined the Dark Side
Aug 13, 2007
Surrey
As its a turbo car i would go the fully synthetic route like it recommends that the castrol edge is as it will take more abuse than semi synthetic like the magnatec

ChrisGTL

'Awesome' LCR225
Nov 17, 2007
Huddersfield
I've just done a "What's the best oil for me" on the castrol website, put my registration plate in and it came up with :

EDGE 5W-30

Engine EDGE 5W-30 (d) 3.5
Manual Transmission TAF-X 2.0
Automatic Transmission -
Differential From Gearbox
Coolant REFER TO MAIN DEALER (e) 7.0
Brake Fluid RESPONSE SUPER DOT 4
Grease Points LM GREASE
Constant Velocity Joints MOLY GREASE
Power Steering (where fitted) REFER TO MAIN DEALER

So am i reading into this correctly that the Magnatec 5W/30 would be fine for my car, even though they recommend 5W/30 EDGE ?

Regards,
Andy

Magnatec does not meet any VW specifications. Magnatec is no good for VAG engines!! Edge is for the VAG group......

Castrol Edge 5/30

Last edited:

ChrisGTL

'Awesome' LCR225
Nov 17, 2007
Huddersfield
And just to show you how close Castrol and Millers are in terms of data:-

oilcomp.jpg

Viscosity - Higher the number = more resistance to flow

Viscosity Index - Higher the number is better = Calculation between viscosity at 40 and 100, how well the oil can change flowing resistance when operating over a wide temperature window.

Cold Crank - Lower number is better = Ability to allow 'cranking' at low temperatures.

Total Base Number - Higher number is better = The measurment of a lubricants reserve alkalinity, to counteract the acids from combustion.

Millers XF Longlife 5/30 TBN is 6.1mg KOH/g.

Last edited:

andy15star

Apr 17, 2005
Durham
hmm, wonder why at least 2 SEAT dealers recommend Magnatec then ?. If it's not fully synthetic you would have thought they wouldn't use it on their services, since a lot of cars are under 3 years old and therefore if the oil knackers the engine then SEAT pay !!

Andy

smithygcupra

Cymru am Byth
May 25, 2008
Newport
I wouldnt mess about with oil if i was you.... if you use the wrong grade oil you could do some serious internal damage to your engine over time and it will cost you £££ to get stuff put right, say if you fry the piston rings, lifters, valve guides etc etc etc etc.....Ive just serviced my LC .... and i went to my local VW dealer.... they gave me the oil which they put in 1.8T engines themselves whenever they service cars etc.... so its the VAG 502.000... or wateva it is grade oil.... it cost me £25 quid... but that really aint alot when you consider the damage you could cause with wrong spec oil... cheap oil is cheap for a reason.

andy15star

Apr 17, 2005
Durham
Aye true i suppose, but i've used Magnatec for 5 years now without any bother, and SEAT use it on all their services, so it cannot be causing any bother to car engines, surely !

Regards,
Andy

ChrisGTL

'Awesome' LCR225
Nov 17, 2007
Huddersfield
hmm, wonder why at least 2 SEAT dealers recommend Magnatec then ?. If it's not fully synthetic you would have thought they wouldn't use it on their services, since a lot of cars are under 3 years old and therefore if the oil knackers the engine then SEAT pay !!

Andy

I quote from my handbook:-

when topping up or replacing the oil use only those oils that conform to the requirements of VW standards.

If it is not possible to find oil conforming to the VW standards then oil conforming to the ACEA or API standards with the appropriate viscosity at atmospheric temperature should be used instead.

So you can use an alternative if you wish, but it does point out that VW spec oils will give the best life of the engine, best emissions and best economy.

*505.01 (TDI) people must only use 505.01 or above oils.

smithygcupra

Cymru am Byth
May 25, 2008
Newport
Aye true i suppose, but i've used Magnatec for 5 years now without any bother, and SEAT use it on all their services, so it cannot be causing any bother to car engines, surely !

Regards,
Andy

Some oils may have the same viscosity properties etc of recommended VAG stuff and if it works for you without any problems then why not??

but if andy here says that hes used magnatec for 5 years and that his local seat use it then should be just fine. if your still unsure(there are some mixed opinions on here) then just go to your local vw,audi,seat or skoda dealer and buy whateva they use themselves. i will always buy vag recomended oil..... dont use cheap oil

G

BCM

Keyboard Gangster
Feb 1, 2005
Wishaw, North Lanarkshire
I always try to use Millers XF 5w/30 but have used Edge in the past - I NEVER by a Supermarket or unbranded "Oil", always stick with an Oil with max R&D and reviews, as said you won't go wrong with Millers or Edge, but be sure you get the right edge, there is cheaper stuiff thats not the XF stuff!

vee_dub_modder

Volkswagen racing tech-pt
Feb 19, 2008
Midlands
you can mix upto 1ltr of another grade of oil for topping up but should your engine require more than 1 ltr then you need to match the oil grade (least thats what the manufacturer i work for states) i run my cupra on 5w30 - that grade will be perfect for your motor but if its a cheapy brand etc then check the numbers and make sure they conform the necessary spec (or higher) for your engine. vw/audi do run a 2 year service schedual for their motors but i wouldnt personally for mine! 6 months or 6k
(i like spoil her + the oil is free ;p )

andy15star

Apr 17, 2005
Durham
Yep, i'm thinking of going and getting the Magnatec 5W/30. I mean i have used the Magnatec 10W/40 for 5 years now without one bit of bother and the car has 79k on it, so the fact that i'm going to change to 5W/30 (but it's still Magnatec), shouldn't make much difference. (or should it ?)

Regards,
Andy

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Yep, i'm thinking of going and getting the Magnatec 5W/30. I mean i have used the Magnatec 10W/40 for 5 years now without one bit of bother and the car has 79k on it, so the fact that i'm going to change to 5W/30 (but it's still Magnatec), shouldn't make much difference. (or should it ?)

Regards,
Andy
Andy

Chris REALLY know his stuff about oils, I mean REALLY. He studies them for a living
He works for Millers but is very impartial when it comes to his recommendations

I would and have followed his recommendation long before Ill follow what a Seat garage do.
But its your engine and your call

andy15star

Apr 17, 2005
Durham
I agree with what you're saying Junior Senior, but i've used the Magnatec for 5 years now and it's been spot on. My car is using a lot of oil, i mean i probably half a tank in 6 weeks (but i do about 270 miles a week). I simply cannot afford a pricey oil when the magnatec has always done the job perfectly well over 5 years. The SEAT garage cannot have had any problems with the oil in the cupras they service under warranty, otherwise they simply wouldn't use it, and they service a lot of cupras / cupra R's !.

The oil useage has been checked out by 2 garages and they say there are definitely no leaks, there are no puddles on the garage floor etc, so it's simply using more because of the turbo, it has always used loads of oil for years. It was in for an 80k service about 6 weeks ago and the other day the oil warning light came on, that's how much it uses ! (unless they never topped it up much on the service, that could well be the case! :( )

I don't flog the car either ! (well, not much)

Regards,
Andy

Last edited:

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Fair enough
My cars been filled with Millers oil since 20,000 mile service.
It uses little or no oil, has done 88,000 miles and is driven hard often

ChrisGTL

'Awesome' LCR225
Nov 17, 2007
Huddersfield
I agree with what you're saying Junior Senior, but i've used the Magnatec for 5 years now and it's been spot on. My car is using a lot of oil, i mean i probably half a tank in 6 weeks (but i do about 270 miles a week). I simply cannot afford a pricey oil when the magnatec has always done the job perfectly well over 5 years. The SEAT garage cannot have had any problems with the oil in the cupras they service under warranty, otherwise they simply wouldn't use it, and they service a lot of cupras / cupra R's !.

The oil useage has been checked out by 2 garages and they say there are definitely no leaks, there are no puddles on the garage floor etc, so it's simply using more because of the turbo, it has always used loads of oil for years. It was in for an 80k service about 6 weeks ago and the other day the oil warning light came on, that's how much it uses ! (unless they never topped it up much on the service, that could well be the case! :( )

I don't flog the car either ! (well, not much)

Regards,
Andy

I bet your rings are gummed up and sticking partialy closed. Classic sign of using a oil thats too thick for your engine.

My old Focus was using loads of oil, about 100-200ml in 80miles, because the garage I had been using were putting a crap 10w/40 in, combine that with lots of short journeys and risk the piston rings getting cruded up.

One easy way to tell:-

Find a steep hill (as steep as you can find) - get someone to follow you up in a car behind you and really rag the car up the hill using high RPM's, don't change up to 4th (get engine oil hot before doing this!!) if the person behind see's smoke out of exhaust then piston rings are sticking....

Then come back down the hill using 2nd or 3rd letting the revs do the braking.....if there is smoke coming out of exhaust then its the valve guides.

I never realised mine was spitting smoke out of the exhaust until I did this with a engine inspector following me and he said there was a nice steady stream of smoke out of exhaust when going up the hill, but no smoke coming down the hill.

I did a emissions test out of interest and it failed, so sold the car quickly.

smithygcupra

Cymru am Byth
May 25, 2008
Newport
I bet your rings are gummed up and sticking partialy closed. Classic sign of using a oil thats too thick for your engine.

My old Focus was using loads of oil, about 100-200ml in 80miles, because the garage I had been using were putting a crap 10w/40 in, combine that with lots of short journeys and risk the piston rings getting cruded up.

One easy way to tell:-

Find a steep hill (as steep as you can find) - get someone to follow you up in a car behind you and really rag the car up the hill using high RPM's, don't change up to 4th (get engine oil hot before doing this!!) if the person behind see's smoke out of exhaust then piston rings are sticking....

Then come back down the hill using 2nd or 3rd letting the revs do the braking.....if there is smoke coming out of exhaust then its the valve guides.

I never realised mine was spitting smoke out of the exhaust until I did this with a engine inspector following me and he said there was a nice steady stream of smoke out of exhaust when going up the hill, but no smoke coming down the hill.

I did a emissions test out of interest and it failed, so sold the car quickly.

not being funny but if you rag your car and theres alot of thick smoke comin out the back then it may be that the valve seal guides are nackerd and are leaking oil into the combustion chamber.... and with the piston rings ''sticking'' .... sticking to what exactly? the piston rings are attatched to the pistons, in grooves and form a tight seal between the pistons an cylinders... they are there to prevent oil entering the combustion chamber and being burned along with the air/fuel mixture. if your piston rings are badly worn, which could be due to lack of or incorrect oil etc, then there no longer is that tight seal so oil will enter the combustion chamber(s) on every stroke....

sory... just had to clear that up

G

andy15star

Apr 17, 2005
Durham
So you're saying that my oil (10W40) is (possibly) too thick, and the car is using too much ?, then putting 5W/30 in would surely be thicker, wouldn't it ??

Regards,
Andy

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.