Purchasing a Mk4 Ibiza 130 TDi Sport

rfjames

Hello chaps,

Well the time has come to get a diesel and I've got my heart set on a Mk4 Ibiza 130 TDi Sport. From what I've read and seen they tick all the boxes with plenty of performance, decent fuel economy and good looks. Now, having searched high and low I can't seem to find many of examples for sale in standard (or modified) fettle. Ideally I'm after one in 3dr with under 80k; is this asking too much? I forgot to say, I've got a budget of £4300.

Also, what key things should I be looking out for on the Seat. I've had a few VW's in the past and am looking forward to getting back behind the wheel of one of the VAG. What are the CD players/sound system like as standard? Is there an AUX adapter? Anything I should look out for engine/'box wise? I heard whispers of an immobiliser problem on the earlier models, is this a major issue? Searching through SeatCupra.net, I've noticed quite a few mentions of a hard/crashy ride, is it really harsh? I'm used to hard suspension setups as I have a track car which I sometimes use on the road, but is it really that intrusive for a daily hack?

Many thanks,

James

Ps. Lastly, how does the car wear as regards to mileage? I take it the interior plastics are pretty hard wearing?

rfjames

Thank you, that is fantastic. I've seen on some posts that people are regularly seeing 50+mpg, which is fantastic, is the road tax particularly much on one of these? One other rather random question but do the MK4 Ibiza 130 TDi Sports allow you to check mpg figures, ambient temperature and so forth?

I've been checking the likes of AutoTrader and PistonHeads, but where is worth looking for a TDi 130? Listings on eBay?

Thanks in advance.

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Thank you, that is fantastic. I've seen on some posts that people are regularly seeing 50+mpg, which is fantastic, is the road tax particularly much on one of these? One other rather random question but do the MK4 Ibiza 130 TDi Sports allow you to check mpg figures, ambient temperature and so forth?

I've been checking the likes of AutoTrader and PistonHeads, but where is worth looking for a TDi 130? Listings on eBay?

Thanks in advance.

Wont be the cheapest place but look on the SEAT UK used cars site.

If it hasn't been done to the one your looking at - get the cupra front wishbone rear bushes fitted and have the tracking sorted.

Road tax this year was £115 (12 months) for my 2003 TDi Sport

Yes the trip computer has the main functions of instant MPG, Average MPG, clock , temp, miles left on fuel in tank etc

MadFaz

New(ish)bee
Sep 28, 2008
Bradford
I tend to see more crop up on ebay, theres a few on there now, one that might fit your criteria and is also advertised in the Classified sections of this site!

rfjames

Wont be the cheapest place but look on the SEAT UK used cars site.

If it hasn't been done to the one your looking at - get the cupra front wishbone rear bushes fitted and have the tracking sorted.

Road tax this year was £115 (12 months) for my 2003 TDi Sport

Yes the trip computer has the main functions of instant MPG, Average MPG, clock , temp, miles left on fuel in tank etc

£115 is very reasonable, but a very random question - how large is the fuel tank on the Ibiza?!

Great news over the trip computer. Does the stereo come with an AUX socket as standard?

Why opt for the Cupra front wishbones and rear bushes? Does it improve the ride, when paired to the correct tracking?

MPG figures sound fantastic - 60mpg, astonishing. I'm hoping the Seat will offer ample performance, whilst retaining cheap running costs. Can anyone point me in the direction of a few interior shots, along with under-bonnet?

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
£115 is very reasonable, but a very random question - how large is the fuel tank on the Ibiza?!

Great news over the trip computer. Does the stereo come with an AUX socket as standard?

Why opt for the Cupra front wishbones and rear bushes? Does it improve the ride, when paired to the correct tracking?

MPG figures sound fantastic - 60mpg, astonishing. I'm hoping the Seat will offer ample performance, whilst retaining cheap running costs. Can anyone point me in the direction of a few interior shots, along with under-bonnet?

Fuel tank is officially 45 litres - however many people VENT the tank and can get around 52 litres in to it. ( do a search on venting the tank )

No simple aux input like an 1/8" jack plug but you can get an adaptor for the back of the stareo to feed an aux input in to it. You can then bring a lead to somewhere in the car to plug in to

The cupra bushes dont improve the ride - they keep the wishbones in the correct place to reduce tyre wear - have a look at the video i posted in the "Uneven tyre wear" thread

petercastleton

I've just bought an 03 mk4 tdi 130, 42k miles, standard, no faults as yet, lovin the torque hard ride and looks

Deleted member 13581

Interior and under bonnet pictures:

DSC00439.jpg

DSC00438.jpg

rfjames

I've just bought an 03 mk4 tdi 130, 42k miles, standard, no faults as yet, lovin the torque hard ride and looks

If you don't mind me asking; could you give me a rough idea of how much you paid?! I'm interested in finding a similar example.

That's handy over plugging in an adapter to the back of the sound system, as I'm keen to run my iPod in the car. I've had enough of CD's now, haha! I take this is pretty simple to do, and I think I'll run the cable into the glove box. A 45-litre tank is size-able, especially with cracking fuel economy. Brilliant.

Those pictures look fantastic, I do like the interior too! A nice place to be, but my only problem is finding a decent car. I'm having all sorts of problems getting on to the Seat Approved Used website and there aren't many low-mileage ones knocking about! Well, if there are, I can't find them!

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
That's handy over plugging in an adapter to the back of the sound system, as I'm keen to run my iPod in the car. I've had enough of CD's now, haha! I take this is pretty simple to do, and I think I'll run the cable into the glove box.

Can't find the link at the mo but the plug for the back of the head unit uses the 6 cd changer input connections and converts them to an 1/8" jack plug lead. All you do is push the cd changer button to listen to your iPod - MP3 player etc. unfortunately there will be no control over the iPod with this system

EDIT - found it - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GOLD-SMART-CA...Kits?hash=item56335b6a76&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

I know it says it's for a SMART car but the connector is the same - This will allow aux input to the alana head unit but will not allow control of the iPod etc.

If head unit has "AUX" button - just plug lead in

If head unit has "CD6" button - you need to earth pin 14 on the head unit to fool it in to thinking there is a CD player attached

In both cases - just press the "AUX or "CD6" button to listen to the MP3/iPOD

Last edited:

pete34a

Jan 9, 2009
There are loads of ipod adaptors available. My car came with an ipod dock which charges it and allows ipod control with the head unit buttons. Works very well. I think they cost about £100 fitted or less if you install it yourself.

Note: If you use on of the very latest ipods/iphones you'll need a dock which supports USB connection. Older Apple products supported Firewire, and most products (chargers, speakers carkits etc) used a Firewire connection. My car adaptor won't work with my iphone because of this - I had to buy an adaptor.... grrr I hate Apple sometimes!

platofan

Oct 12, 2009
Yeah I need a mk4 tdi sport too lol, looks like i'm going to end up with an 100PD SE the way things are going. All the 130s i've seen so far have been either too expensive or have something wrong with them. :(

Torquemonster

Nov 20, 2007
:( Sold my old 130 Sport about a month ago.Quite a few things needing done,so i punted it.
Still miss it's raw power.Wasn't refined or anything.But that surge.Truly addictive.:happy:

rfjames

I waited a while for the right car, paid £5k

That's interesting to know - proves they are out there, you just need to know where to look. Thank you.

I won't give up the search for a fairly low-mileage example, as one things for sure I can't wait for the MPG and running costs.

I see quite a few people chip the 130, does it have an adverse affects, say with the engine or 'box?