Mirror Cover Removal Guide

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Hi All

Anybody got a removal and fitting guide for MK2 Leon Mirror covers?

Ive used search and carnt find

Basically picked up me car yesterday ive had the front bumper sprayed like a cupra , got black wheels and Silver mirrors , So wanna fit me Black mirrors today

dannychapman10

K04 Time ;)
Mar 30, 2009
Grimsby, UK
No guide as such but they are easy enough to get off, use an old credit card or something to prize them off around the join near the glass and then get your fingers in there and they pull off straight froward, took me about 10 mins to do both :)

Danny.

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
I managed to it get me nails under them and pull them off

Ive also managed get the cupra grill on , Broke one of the clips off in process luckily tho the grill is still solidly fitted so its all ok

Pics on readers ride

Feb 12, 2006
North Lincolnshire.
Still aint got mine off after trying with old credit card that snapped and with a plastic knife.
Got no nails either,well got some but they well bitten.
Be handy if someone made a guide with pics of one actually coming off and new one going on,for example where to lever from etc.

Last edited:

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Still aint got mine off after trying with old credit card that snapped and with a plastic knife.
Got no nails either,well got some but they well bitten.
Be handy if someone made a guide with pics of one actually coming off and new one going on,for example where to lever from etc.

I pulled mine off from bottom first and pulled upwards , Just need get some nails under them

try a standard metal knife ( no need to be sharp, just thin) the second time I did I used one and it was easier. if you trial and error a few spots you'll notice some parts are a bit more resistant, chances are these are where clips are so work on those spots.

Feels like you're going to snap them in half if you try to hard, but they won't.

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
try a standard metal knife ( no need to be sharp, just thin) the second time I did I used one and it was easier. if you trial and error a few spots you'll notice some parts are a bit more resistant, chances are these are where clips are so work on those spots.

Feels like you're going to snap them in half if you try to hard, but they won't.

They might do in these temperatures ;) better when its warmer

daz_pd

Apr 15, 2007
N.Ireland
I just swapped these on my ladies car, what you need to do is go up n under at the seams, I was trying to go straight in but you must get behind the the cover rather than around it.

Bedlam

Feb 26, 2009
North Yorkshire
This is the "proper" method of removing the mirror housing for Pre Facelift

Detach the wing mirror glass -1- from the wing mirror unit -2- using the lever -T20043--arrow-.. I used a wooden spatula out of the kitchen, lowering the window helps

E66-10016.jpg

Whilst unnecessary, you may also want to remove the glass by disconnecting the electrical connectors, which are quite tight, as this gives better access for the next step.

Undo the mirror casing tabs -2- using a flat screwdriver.
Some of these are quite hard to see through the mirror adjusting mechanism

Remove the mirror casing -1- from the wing mirror unit -3- using the lever -U-30800-.
If no lever use a small blade or credit card

E66-10018.jpg

Replacement is a reversal of above except the casing should just snap on

Last edited:

jcp

Dec 18, 2008
Herts
I've seen it done with a dessert spoon! I certainly don't think the full on glass removal method is necessary and it seems to provide plenty of scope for additional problems.

Bedlam

Feb 26, 2009
North Yorkshire
I've seen it done with a dessert spoon! I certainly don't think the full on glass removal method is necessary and it seems to provide plenty of scope for additional problems.

OP asked for a Guide, so Seat one reproduced above.

What additonal problems?
Perhaps breaking off a positional lug as I did by using brute force to remove the cover?

jcp

Dec 18, 2008
Herts
I am just a little apprehensive about the dismounting of the glass probably based on my ham-fistedness! I wasn't intending to diss your effort in finding and posting the guide- mine were done for me, while I watched and for nothing, at my local stealers who sold me the black covers and the chief parts guy said "I'll do them" and -with a spoon.

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Cheers for that as i said ive already done it , but maybe this could be made sticky in the FAQ section for other MK2 Newbies

jrsmooth

Jan 6, 2009
Derby(ish)
I have one quick question!

After speaking to David @ Seremotors it has become apparent that seat have stopped producing black mirror covers, and are now only supplying them primered. So to save myself some money, i am going to paint my current FR ones black. Is this black an exact match to the gloss around the cupra grill? I presume that it will be.

Thanks in advance

daz_pd

Apr 15, 2007
N.Ireland
prob not a bad idea to make this a sticky, its a question that comes up often..
I dont know what black you have mate, but Im pretty sure any Gloss/Piano Black would be fine.

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
I have one quick question!

After speaking to David @ Seremotors it has become apparent that seat have stopped producing black mirror covers, and are now only supplying them primered. So to save myself some money, i am going to paint my current FR ones black. Is this black an exact match to the gloss around the cupra grill? I presume that it will be.

Thanks in advance

Is ur Leon Pre-facelift or Facelift (09+)

If its facelift then yes they have stopped making them , if it is Pre-Facelift then no you can get cupra mirrors ive just had mine and fitted mine from Dave

jrsmooth

Jan 6, 2009
Derby(ish)
Is ur Leon Pre-facelift or Facelift (09+)

If its facelift then yes they have stopped making them , if it is Pre-Facelift then no you can get cupra mirrors ive just had mine and fitted mine from Dave

Its pre-facelift (08). I spoke to Dave just before the christmas break when i ordered my Cupra Grill. I was about to phone him up to pay when he emailed me regarding the Mirror Caps. He apparently spoke to Seat UK who have decided to only make one type of mirror cap (primered) instead of several different colour types, and just let the dealers deal with the colour.

That was my understanding from the conversations i had with Dave. Perhaps he could help clear that up?