spring snapped - chances of it being covered by warranty??

zenyck100

spring snapped today people. only done 1300 miles since i had it in february. anyone had these done under warranty or have you been fobbed of by excuses about bad roads and potholes??

forgot its a 56 plate with 40k on it. i meant ive only driven it for 1300 miles. :p

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I would think that you should have a reasonable case for getting it fixed FOC by the garage you bought it from, but I'd reckon that the manufacturer would not feel any great need to provide that fix for you FOC - wear and tear or as you say well below expected standard of road surfaces would be the manufacturer's get out. To fight the supplying garage you would need to claim that it should not have failed so quickly and as such it is not fit for purpose! Good luck!!

Ash_238

Aug 25, 2009
You can argue all day long. All I will say is best of luck.

Not worth the agro if I'm honest.

Cars are money pits & the roads put wear & tear on them. So expecting things to break.

mazzerati

Bags are for groceries!
Jun 27, 2008
Beverley, East Yorkshire
I'm gunna say you will. I got my Catalytic converter changed And mid section changed on warranty and I'd say they would fight more against that than a flipping spring lol

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
I have to admit, I don't rate warranties at all, I think they're the biggest con going.

Having said that, a spring failing after 40,000 miles is not expected, and in my view should definitely be covered by the warranty.

but that is only my view, and probably nothing to do with the terms of the warranty! :)

Veyron

Dec 3, 2009
Birmingham
My spring snapped on mine a few days ago, i found a spring for £26 but will i need any special tools to fit it?

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
My spring snapped on mine a few days ago, i found a spring for £26 but will i need any special tools to fit it?

Firstly, you need two, it's not good to replace just one. They should be done both sides, similar to brakes.

For ideas of tools, have a look at some of the coilover fitting threads that are on here. You'll need everything they used, plus some spring compressors to take the strut apart.

Veyron

Dec 3, 2009
Birmingham
Firstly, you need two, it's not good to replace just one. They should be done both sides, similar to brakes.

For ideas of tools, have a look at some of the coilover fitting threads that are on here. You'll need everything they used, plus some spring compressors to take the strut apart.

Thanks for the reply, looks like ill have to leave it parked until i get paid because i will need someone to fit it as well then :(

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
where was it purchased from ?

how long ago ?

did you get any used car warranty when you bought it ?

Ash_238

Aug 25, 2009

Its a easy job to do if you know how.

Tool's:
Spring Compressors
Hub Splitter tool (I used a cold chisel, but was harder to use).
Splined socket (M14 one I believe?)
Socket set
Breaker Bar comes in handy.
Mallet for some persuasion if needed :whistle:
Pliers to unclip the Brake hose Bracket.
7mm Allen Bit (one which fits on a Rachet is best).

One Guide which I found helpful was the following:

http://www.seat-ibiza-mk4.co.uk/ibiza_front_shock_absorber_change.htm

I had never done a job like this previous. Just did some research & had previous experience with other types of jobs.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.