About to buy a ALTEA 2.0 TDI Sport DSG?

s15lvo

Apr 23, 2010
Edinburgh
Hi every one I am new here and have found some grate info here on helping me decide to go for the ALTEA 2.0 TDI Sport DSG.

Its a 54 Plate. here is the link to it plus you can see the link to the dealers site.

autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201015356903861/sort/priceasc/usedcars/maximum-mileage/up_to_60000_miles/transmission/automatic/maximum-age/up_to_7_years_old/fuel-type/diesel/model/altea/make/seat/page/1/postcode/cw73az/radius/1500?logcode=p

I have put a deposit down and if all gos well with the finance I will be getting it next week.

I would like to ask what are the things I should look out for when picking up the car? Are there any known faults to check for?

Also dose anyone know if this year and model come with the auto dimming mirror/wipers/lights?

Thanks
Silvio

chrishumes

Feb 13, 2010
mines that exact model mate, just got it a few weeks ago. ive got some nice sport alloys for sale if you want them!

i paid 2k less than that privately, and mines got elec sunroof, parking sensors, in fact every extra available. they are good cars though, think i would just make sure its had its cambelt done and the DSG oil changed recently. mine has auto dim mirror not sure about mirros and lights tho.

s15lvo

Apr 23, 2010
Edinburgh
Gosh 2k less do you mind me asking what year and mileage your car has?

I'm going to ask then to do the belt, water pump and dsg oil if I pay for parts and they pay the labour.

After reading all the bad reviews on here about this dealership I'm really worried about buying it.

cadman2k

Jul 15, 2003
Visit site
I think a DSG for 7K from a dealer with 56K on the clock seems about right. I assume it comes with 12 months warranty. That mileage for age is less than 10K a year which is good going so this would be classed as a low mileage example.
You should check the history (assuming it has one) as it may have had cambelt done after 4 years.
My Sport has hit 90K and have suffered what I would descrive as the common faults, but other than those niggles she is still going well strong.
Not sure of Real Values as I suppose its the usual only worth what someone is prepared to pay.
I think that model your looking at would have been 17-18K when New and if it has history should be fine for a good few years to come.

tinky

Apr 13, 2010
Bought mine, 6 speed manual thoo, for 6100, with 58k, 1 owner, FSSH. Private. I think you should have a look around mate.

s15lvo

Apr 23, 2010
Edinburgh
The prob I have is that I have negitive equit in my current car and they are offering me a good price for my part exchange. So I could not really get a lone and sell my car my self.

They put my finance plan through Sat morning and I was told I would here back same day but after me calling them 3 times they still had not hered back from Seat Finance so looks like I wont know till monday if I have been approved.

Anyone know if thease erly 2004 (54 plate) sport models have the auto lights and wipers? Do you know where I can get an old brochure online?

chrishumes

Feb 13, 2010
s15lvo, i dont think its a bad price. as said above, someone has paid 6100 private, and i paid 5200 private, but im going to spend £700 on cambelt/service/DSG oil and brake discs pads all round, so 7000 from a dealer is good. but beware if the cambelt hasnt been done thats another 300, brakes are 200 etc. mines a 54 with 57k on the clock.

cadman, could you expand on yor problems, just so i know what to expect!

s15lvo

Apr 23, 2010
Edinburgh
I asked the dealer if the cam belt had been done and they said its not needed till 80k, but as its still over 4 years old I am going to get it done.

I asked them if they would do the DSG Oil and timing belt and water pump for free if I paid for the parts (not sure how much that will cost)

I will need to ask around but what should I pay for timming belt, water pump and DSG oil change from somone like Unit18 or other indepentent?

chrishumes

Feb 13, 2010
defo do cambelt, ive read a lot of stuff on here, better safe than sorry.

im getting mine done by an indy next week. ive posted up prices in another post, but cambelt and waterpump inc labour =300, think DSG oil change is about 70

id really recommend the DSG sport tho, im well happy with mine.

chrishumes

Feb 13, 2010
if your based up north, ive some nicer alloys you can have as well if you do get it!

good luck with the finance

s15lvo

Apr 23, 2010
Edinburgh
At the moment I live in Winsford, Cheshire but will soon be moving back to Edinburgh. But as we are expecting out 1st baby I dont think I will get away with new wheels.

Also I want to keep a high as pos MPG which I know will go down with bigger wheels.

s15lvo

Apr 23, 2010
Edinburgh
I just found ouot from the dealer that it has the auto dim mirror but not the auto lights and wipers.

And it only has the small MFD in the speedo cluster. You cant have it all :(

chrishumes

Feb 13, 2010
sure thats the same as mine, and that was the reason i bought it - a baby on the way. idea cars for that!

s15lvo

Apr 23, 2010
Edinburgh
even though its the samm MFD what functions do you get on the computer, is it just av mpg and range or dose it have settings and other functions?

tinky

Apr 13, 2010
Looks like same thing as I have, i mean dashboard computer and the rest of the stuff. As of cambelt change, it should have been done 2 years ago mate by seat guidance. I'd try to get it done by the dealer.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members