All DPF Owners

nightflight

May 18, 2009
Sheffield
:clap: great news.

Wonder if they'll do a proper recall, sending the letters and everything or leave it as a dealer recall that gets done whenever the car goes into the dealers next.

Biker

Oct 6, 2003
Northumberland
Visit site
As thing's stand at the moment, I don't think I would want a software upgrade on mine. Done nearly 2000 miles and not had any problems with it and I firmly believe "If it isn't broken, don't fix it"

Adam R

Diesel ISN'T a Dirty word
Mar 5, 2007
lee in the solent
Adam you have already told us why we are getting DPF problems, here's a reminder...LOL

smart arse... no i didnt mean that exactly.

what i meant it surley VW / AUDI have put this through a lot of R&D first ??

oh no.... infact thats what Seat's for isnt it ;)

Chaza123

hasnt given me any problems at all in my fr tdi got about 1200 miles on it now so sounds like it is only the 1.6 model having problems...

It is only the 1.6 engine as this was the new engine at the time, no others are effected by the problem.

garethrobson

FR LOVER
Jun 10, 2009
County Durham
not really a problem because the light is just letting you know that it couldnt clear properly 2 times in a row (because my journeys where so short). Its not really a "STOP YOUR CAR HAS A FAULT" sort of light its more of a "by the way we strugled to clear your filter" I didnt have to do any different driving at all to clear it i just drove normally the next time i went out which was only a 10 minute journey at about 40mph. The light went off after about 3 or 4 minutes.

Last edited:

farrar

Mar 18, 2005
The light means that soot loading in the filter has exceeded a pre-defined value. Not that it has failed to regen although that is the root cause. The 2.0 CR TDI will theoretically be worse than the 1.6 as it generates more soot so the filter will clog faster.

garethrobson

FR LOVER
Jun 10, 2009
County Durham
it still wasnt a problem for me, it cleared itself within a few minutes without any effort at all. As long as it sorts itself out then it doesnt bother me at all.
What people are saying is that there is a FAULT with the coding of the DPF filters in the 1.6 which is causing a lot of problems. They asked if the same fault is in the 2.0L and i was simply stating that i havent had any issues with mine.

Frudo

Regen light on again 4th time in 2000 miles, had to go 25 miles in 3-4 gear, 2500-3000 rpm before it cleared. Contacted dealer, thought I may have a faulty sensor having to travel so far at those revs. Informed that Seat are aware of the problem and are developing a software change, no date yet given but they will let me know. Also informed that they are having problems with (1.6 tdi cr) cars not regening and going into limp home mode. So not that bad yet !!Told I could take mine it for it to be checked out if I wished. Probably will. Really happy with the car but this regen is a pain.

nightflight

May 18, 2009
Sheffield
Lower your revs a bit, i've found that regen works best if you keep the revs at 2000-2200ish.

Other tip for people, is the regen mode doesn't kick in until you hit 2000rpm. So, if that dreaded dpf light comes on, keep your revs below 2000rpm until you get to your regen road, this will stop the engine attempting a regen which is important as you only get two attempts at doing a regen before the car goes into limp home mode.

Frudo

Thanks nightflight for that info. I did intend to keep the revs around 2200 and see how far I had to go before it cleared, but I didnt have the bottle, do it next time though if you have 2 chances. Do you know what constitutes a regen failure?, is it time or mileage, also would it sucessfully auto regen if kept around 2000 revs for say 50 mile run. (without the regen lamp on), Its a pity they could not put the filter % blocked on to the dash display, it would give you a better warning.

chris128

May 2, 2010
N.E Lincolnshire
I still dont know what a regen is or how you know when your car is doing it... Is the regen light the same as the DPF light or are they 2 separate things?

JonnyT30

Jul 18, 2009
The more I read on this thread, the more it shows what a 'shower of ****' some Seat dealers are with respect to their customers. How many peeps on here just haven't got a clue what they have to do or what the light means, and have been just left to fend for themselves. I bet that many of them just saw it as a bit of a money maker having to regen peoples cars for them.:ban:

harper2009

Feb 15, 2010
iv only seen the light once bt the car has went throuh regen several times :confused:

Theres only one journey that regen occurs and thats when i pick the missus up but thats due to lots of traffic lights i think?

nightflight

May 18, 2009
Sheffield
There's a thread in the FAQ section with full details which i strongly recommend everyone with a DPF equipped car reads.

Relevant quote from that thread..
Question: Under what conditions is regeneration interrupted/ended once it has started?

Answer: Normally when regeneration has been successfully completed, or:

a.) After a maximum regeneration time (20 - 25 min.).
b.) If the engine is switched off or has stalled.
c.) If the engine is left idling for a long time (5 - 10 min.).
d.) If 1000°C is detected by the exhaust temperature sensor.
e.) If during regeneration, a fault is detected on the components relevant for combustion (injection/intake system).

If a regeneration is interrupted once started but before it has been 50% completed, the glow plug lamp flashes on the next engine start (cold or hot) and regeneration begins again once the operating conditions (see 3) have been fulfilled.

nightflight

May 18, 2009
Sheffield
iv only seen the light once bt the car has went throuh regen several times :confused:

You will do, the light comes on when a regen has failed AND the DPF is over 45 or 50% blocked.

Under general conditions the DPF will regen away quite happily and the idea is you'd never really know about it... As long as you're doing regular motorway/a-road driving.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise