Water leak into footwell - dodgy seal info and DIY repair guide (Image links dead)

NickBWB

Sorry Lee didn't quite make it clear, i've taken the backing paper off but not until i had run it around the panel. I was asking if he had removed the backing paper then stuck it to the auxiliary panel before relocating and bolting the panel on.

I think the way i put it on made it harder to go round corners as the backing kind of made it more rigid and caused it to kink as it went around.

NickBWB

Yeah re-reading it, it does sound like i have left it on :lol:

Tomorrow afternoon will be spent going over all the doors again. May crack out the wider sealant and pray that it works in the next storm.

Bloodly leaky cars, only ever had 2 cars that haven't leaked at some time or another.

If i use the 10mm x 5mm stuff, should i have the 10mm width between the door and the aux panel or the 5mm width.

If i put it in using the wider side then it should completely seal as the panel is bolted up.

NickBWB

TomJackUK,

I believe that stuff on the B&Q website that you posted is a flat piece of 9mm sealant strip so wont be much use on the seal of the carrier panel.

NickBWB

I've been out this afternoon and had all the door cards off and checked for leaking carrier seals. None are leaking, however when I sprayed the car with the hose. The door rubbers around the door opening were wet and could see the water had run down between the front and rear doors, therefore still collecting water along the sill up against the rubber. Should all this area be water tight when the doors are closed or is the above correct?

Cheers

Nick

Nam-uk

May 11, 2011
lancashire.
there is Drain holes in the Rubber at the bottom, you can see them if you pull the rubber around, if there is build up you do get a little bit of water on the top sill but were talking not much,
have you checked the Door drain holes at all?

NickBWB

Yeah I checked the drain holes too. Also removed the rubber along the bottom of the doors and cleaned the crud out. So a little water around the rubber seal that goes round the door aperture is normal?

Cheers

Nick

Nam-uk

May 11, 2011
lancashire.
So a little water around the rubber seal that goes round the door aperture is normal?

Cheers

Nick

i think it is mate, as when i checked my other doors the seal that usually goes has not gone , so i followed the water to the drain holes on the door rubbers, also the 2 rubbers under the door that hit the seal must push the water out thinking you have a water seal issue,
if your still getting stupid amounts of water still coming in then you have a door seal issue if you getting just small amounts (enough to dry out as soon as you open the door) then that's normal imop.

d3m0niTe

LCR 225
Jun 21, 2010
Bromley, Kent
Can i ask what size butyl sealant strip you used when you replaced yours?

I gave the carrier panel and door a good wipe round with thinners to remove all the crud that was left.

Did you take the backing paper off as you went round the panel or after you had got it into position?

Haha yes I took the backing paper off. My assistant was feeding the sealant to me minus the backing paper and I was feeding it into the channel where the old vag seal was.

No wonder yours is still leaking :lol:

This is seal is looks exactly the same to the one I used, hope this helps. Shop around though, I paid about £8 for mine including delivery

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BOLT-PANE..._Body_Shop_Supplies_Paint&hash=item3369ae41e8

Last edited:

NickBWB

I found that it wasn't the carrier seal leaking on one of the doors, but one of the wiring loom clips that push into the panel was knackered and not sealing as i should, will order some new ones during the week. Although i have now re-done 2 of the doors with the 10mm diameter stuff i had and my assistant fed it to me without the backing paper as i fed it into the channel around the panel. Went in a lot easier than the first time doing it that way.

flacka

alright, I was wondering if anyone could give me some help. I've got a seat ibiza sport and there is a major leak behind the passenger seat. its a 3 door car. There is not leak anywhere else in the car.

Ive had the back seats and carpet up and cant find any leak. Its got me stumped but i had a sub fitted a few months ago and think thats the issue. If anyone can help me it would be much appreciated.

Cheers, Flacka

DubSteve68

Nov 4, 2010
Up North
alright, I was wondering if anyone could give me some help. I've got a seat ibiza sport and there is a major leak behind the passenger seat. its a 3 door car. There is not leak anywhere else in the car.

Ive had the back seats and carpet up and cant find any leak. Its got me stumped but i had a sub fitted a few months ago and think thats the issue. If anyone can help me it would be much appreciated.

Cheers, Flacka

Did the sub you fitted look anything like this?

submarine.jpg

They are notorious for holding water and it's essential to drain them thoroughly before fitting, otherwise it's wet carpet time ;)

DubSteve :)

maryousz

Step 2. Remove the door card. Before proceeding, wind the window down all the way.

I see closed window on the foto. So I do not understand...should I either open window or close during remove the door card operation?

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
When you remove the door card, it is easier (but not essential) to wind the window down so the door card can be unhooked off the top of the door.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members