eBay cable and software?

Jul 29, 2013
Essex
Here you go -linky. I've no idea if the software is specific to cables but I would've thought all the sellers are selling the same cables. I followed the install steps in the Youtube vid posted above on a W7 x64 laptop and had no issues at all.

Normally I'd be with you all day long but I only want to change 3 or 4 stupid little things and my car is fully maintained
so it's not worth it.

I really don't wish to p!ss on the parade here but why are you guys going for these cheap leads for use with the full version of VCDS? The genuine article costs about £260-270, a little pricey perhaps, but it is the real deal with FULL support from Ross-Tech and it simply... works. I'm not an employee or have any vested interest in Ross-Tech but they are a genuine bunch of guys who have done an amazing job of unearthing the wonders of VW group car electronic wizardry. I bought my lead from Gendan more than two years ago and it has paid for itself over and over - through not having to go to a garage/dealer for a diagnostic check or helping a mate out. Come on folks, give them some real honest support! :)

AJ

Oct 16, 2013
I really don't wish to p!ss on the parade here but why are you guys going for these cheap leads for use with the full version of VCDS? The genuine article costs about £260-270, a little pricey perhaps, but it is the real deal with FULL support from Ross-Tech and it simply... works. I'm not an employee or have any vested interest in Ross-Tech but they are a genuine bunch of guys who have done an amazing job of unearthing the wonders of VW group car electronic wizardry. I bought my lead from Gendan more than two years ago and it has paid for itself over and over - through not having to go to a garage/dealer for a diagnostic check or helping a mate out. Come on folks, give them some real honest support! :)

Fair comment Shiners, As I only plan to do a couple of small mods like the needle sweep and activating the horn on locking the car I didn't want to spend £270 on the cable and I didnt want to bother another member that may have VCDS already. So £12 was worth a punt.

I suppose if I was more keen on the diagnostic side of things I would invest in one but as the car will be under warranty I will take it to the dealers for diagnosing faults etc for me :)
I used to take my current A3 into dealers all the time for warranty work with no quibble so am expecting the same service from SEAT.

terryt

Aug 16, 2013
Oh dear, just caught up with the rest of your posts and it doesnt sound promising :(

So seems like installing the software that came with the small cd does nothing?

Terry, the link to the software you provided. Is that a copy of the mini cd you received or are the install files from somewhere else? How did you get yours to work?

Its the installer I used from the CD, I just followed the YouTube vid I linked above. There were 2 other installers on the CD but they were for older versions of vcds.

AJ

Oct 16, 2013
Its the installer I used from the CD, I just followed the YouTube vid I linked above. There were 2 other installers on the CD but they were for older versions of vcds.

Great, thanks for the info Terry :thumbup:
I will download that installer you linked to and save that youtube vid link for when my car arrives.

Actually anybody know whether VCDS is compatible with my 8P A3 (just thinking if it is I could test the cable) or is it only compatible with the latest VAG cars coming off the MQB platform?

Jul 29, 2013
Essex
Software works, Thanks Terry. I think the adaptor is not a 12.12 CAN though:

e9urate8.jpg

yzu7u3yz.jpg

Fraczish

Aug 20, 2013
Having installed the software from the link it looked promising and the computer found the interface, however as soon as I plug the other end into the car it can no longer find the interface... Oh well it was worth a punt! If anyone has any joy I'll be eagerly waiting.

ac2013

Sep 1, 2013
Mine has arrived today from OBD2 factory seller. I will either try to install tonight or tomorrow.

I already have a working version of 12.12 on my laptop but discovered it is the FREEWARE version.

I had terrible trouble trying to get the driver and cable to work together but the seller eventually sent me software for windows 7 64 bit after I tried windows 7 32 bit software and what may have been XP software. The seller was helpful but scammed me as in they provided the locked down FREEWARE rather than fully unlocked.

Hope this new software and cable works better.

AJ

Oct 16, 2013
Software works, Thanks Terry. I think the adaptor is not a 12.12 CAN though:

e9urate8.jpg

yzu7u3yz.jpg

Hmmm it does seem like the OriginaL LINK to the AliExpress seller, CarOBDII Factory, might be a con as the cable doesn't seem to work and also the software which came on the mini cd would not install.

I have actually just scanned the min cd I received with AVAST and it has picked up a couple of viruses!! See below

So I suppose people who bought from original link should use Terry's s/w to install and test cable. If cable doesn't work then maybe buy from the person TerryT used from ALiExpress. New buyers thinking of buying of getting cable go with Terrys link.

Install%20Virus.jpg

terryt

Aug 16, 2013
Its strange the original listing has so many positive ratings, more than where I got mine! Maybe raise it with the seller or aliexpress?

I've deleted the file since it seems to be a cable issue as well and don't want to be distributing dodgy software :think:

AJ

Oct 16, 2013
It does seem like you might be able to request a refund if the items you received does not work or match the description. Just checked out the seller's website on Aliexpress and there appears to be a 'Buyer Protection' clause. If my cable doesn't work I might pursue this

CarOBD2%20web%20page.jpg

rcopus

Jun 6, 2012
Midlands
Hold on fellas.

I provided the link in one of my previous posts to an Aliexpress listing.
It's the cable I ordered and have used to do everything on my Mk3 without any issues whatsoever.

As I feel responsible for people having issues, (and don't want a bad name!) I'm going to knock together a quick how-to on what I did to get mine working. Only difference is I use a Mac, but that shouldn't matter because I use a virtual machine, something I've been harping on about for post after post now.

Bear with me, will get to work on it now...

AJ

Oct 16, 2013
Its strange the original listing has so many positive ratings, more than where I got mine! Maybe raise it with the seller or aliexpress?

I've deleted the file since it seems to be a cable issue as well and don't want to be distributing dodgy software :think:

Totally understandable Terry.

Hold on fellas.

I provided the link in one of my previous posts to an Aliexpress listing.
It's the cable I ordered and have used to do everything on my Mk3 without any issues whatsoever.

As I feel responsible for people having issues, (and don't want a bad name!) I'm going to knock together a quick how-to on what I did to get mine working. Only difference is I use a Mac, but that shouldn't matter because I use a virtual machine, something I've been harping on about for post after post now.

Bear with me, will get to work on it now...

Hi Rcopus, that would be great! Will await your instructions :)

Jul 29, 2013
Essex
You pays your money and you takes your chance. Don't feel bad buddy. I blame myself. Always be concerned about software which tells you to disable all your antivirus software and change your time.

Last edited:

Fraczish

Aug 20, 2013
No need to feel bad fella! I Dont blame anyone, but would welcome a kick in the right direction! ;-)

rcopus

Jun 6, 2012
Midlands
Step 1 - Getting an XP Install Ready

Goto https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads and download and install VirtualBox.
Windows hosts = For people running Windows XP / Windows Vista / Windows 7 / Windows 8 on their laptop
OS X hosts = For people with a MacBook

Once VirtualBox is installed download the Extension Pack from the same link as above. Double click the downloaded file which should open in VirtualBox and install the Extension Pack.

Now we need to download a legitimate Windows XP installation to run in VirtualBox.
Goto http://www.modern.ie/en-us/virtualization-tools click ‘Get Free VM’s’ In the ‘Select Desired Testing OS’ drop down click:
Windows = if you’re using a Windows laptop
Mac = if you’re using a MacBook
In the ‘Select Virtualization Platform’ drop down click:
VirtualBox on Windows = If you’re using a Windows laptop
VirtualBox for Mac = If you’re using a MacBook

Now you’ll be presented with a bunch of choices. Download the IE6 - XP files, part1 and part2. They are self-extracting rar archives. Once extracted you should be able to import the appliance (the extracted file) into VirtualBox. (Sorry I can’t be more detailed here I don’t use Windows as my main OS).

Once imported we need to change the configuration of the virtual machine, to disable internet connectivity mainly. This will have two affects. 1) the VCDS software won’t be able to update or call home, 2) anything happening inside the virtual machine, i.e. those worried about installing viruses etc, won’t be able to get out onto your network.

Edit the virtual machine settings under the Network section and uncheck the ‘Enable Network Adapter’ option.

f4fbsy.png

2ppdd8y.png

So in this first step we've gotten ourselves a dedicated install for VCDS that runs virtually, has not network connectivity and cannot impact your laptops on Windows/OS X install in any way.

Andy

Nov 12, 2013
Ayrshire, Scotland
Just catching up on the thread, missed TT's link as well :cry:

Ah well, I'll hang fire and watch to see how things pan out with those that have the cable and a car to test it on, not much else I can do being car less....apart from strike rcopus from the Christmas card list :D just joking, it was my shout and worth a punt at £12, you pays your money........ blah blah - rest easy bud.

labmousee

Geek
Dec 22, 2013
Israel
So in this first step we've gotten ourselves a dedicated install for VCDS that runs virtually, has not network connectivity and cannot impact your laptops on Windows/OS X install in any way.

rcopus, can you please try and scan using any free antivirus (maybe Kaspersky free scan) the CD with the software? If your copy doesn't have any virus on it, that means that you got might have got a different version.

For those who got CDs with viruses, I wouldn't recommend to try and make them work, it can end badly.

If you are interested, there is someone on the Israeli vagit forum that sells for about 70 pound a cable with 1 year of support via Remote Desktop, what's app opr whatever you want + warranty for the cable not to be locked by a software update (as long as you follow his instructions). He ships them from brazil and also has a stock in Israel. I didn't buy from him, because I was looking for a cheaper option, but other's on the forum did and were very happy. No I am serious considering getting a cable from him.

If you are interested, contact me view private message and I will try to conetct you. I hope I am not breaking any rules here since I don't benifit anything from it. Please see this offer as just another link to some e-commerce site.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.