eBay cable and software?

Fraczish

Aug 20, 2013
So in this first step we've gotten ourselves a dedicated install for VCDS that runs virtually, has not network connectivity and cannot impact your laptops on Windows/OS X install in any way.

Im just waiting for the XP files to download... good work bud!:D
Will I need to extract them or will the virtual pc take care or that?

Last edited:

rcopus

Jun 6, 2012
Midlands
Step 2 Installing VCDS and Driver

One thing that may help as part of the VBox install is to install ‘Guest Additions’ this makes things easier when resizing the screen size etc.

In VBox click the CD icon at the bottom right of the screen and select the CD drive that contains the VCDS disc. Drag the files to your desktop.

Change the computers date to 1st October 2013.

Run the ‘VCDS V12.12.0 setup file.
The installation password is xxxROSSTECH

Connect the cable to your laptops USB port.
Click the USB icon in the bottom right of VBox.
Select Ross-Tech Hex-USB, this will connect the cable to your virtual machine (the guest OS)
Windows will then claim its found new hardware.
Select No, not this time when it asks to search Windows Update for drivers.
15edcty.png

Click Next.
Select Install from a list or specific location.
wkjksz.png

Click Next.
Select Include this location and put the path of the VCDS install in.
264m6w1.png

Click Next.
Click Continue Anyway.
rco4rr.png

Click Finish.

Run VCDS from the shortcut on your desktop!

Reactions: Andy

Andy

Nov 12, 2013
Ayrshire, Scotland
So in this first step we've gotten ourselves a dedicated install for VCDS that runs virtually, has not network connectivity and cannot impact your laptops on Windows/OS X install in any way.

Virtual Xp setup and good to go but noticed you've only 30 days trial before acquiring a license, so if like me you wont have your car till March then best to hold off.

Btw thanks for the tuts Rcopus

Last edited:

rcopus

Jun 6, 2012
Midlands
Virtual Xp setup and good to go but noticed you've only 30 days trial before acquiring a license, so if like me you wont have your car till March then best to hold off.

Btw thanks for the tuts Rcopus

That's the beauty of a Virtual Machine, once its set up as you like it, take a snapshot, and then you can keep reverting to it.
Think of it as a time machine for the install ;)

rcopus

Jun 6, 2012
Midlands
Thought of an easier way for you lazier folk.
I'm uploading my entire Virtual Appliance, which contains a working install of the the software already. So in theory you should just be able to import it into Virtual Box and away you go with your cable.

You will need to make sure you understand the basics though, hence my crude tutorial before hand. As I can guarantee someone not paying attention will import the virtual appliance and connect to the internet, killing the cable straight away!

I'm on an ADSL connection so its gonna be a while uploading I'm afraid.
Will post link once its done.

rcopus

Jun 6, 2012
Midlands
rcopus, can you please try and scan using any free antivirus (maybe Kaspersky free scan) the CD with the software? If your copy doesn't have any virus on it, that means that you got might have got a different version.

For those who got CDs with viruses, I wouldn't recommend to try and make them work, it can end badly.

If you are interested, there is someone on the Israeli vagit forum that sells for about 70 pound a cable with 1 year of support via Remote Desktop, what's app opr whatever you want + warranty for the cable not to be locked by a software update (as long as you follow his instructions). He ships them from brazil and also has a stock in Israel. I didn't buy from him, because I was looking for a cheaper option, but other's on the forum did and were very happy. No I am serious considering getting a cable from him.

If you are interested, contact me view private message and I will try to conetct you. I hope I am not breaking any rules here since I don't benifit anything from it. Please see this offer as just another link to some e-commerce site.
Virus scanners pick up software like this because of the crude way they get the date and time changed on your computer to make VCDS work. This is something that a virus may do, hence it gets flagged.

My advice as its always been, don't install it on your computer in the first place, virtualise it. When you're virtualised you're running in a sandbox, so it doesn't matter if theres a virus or not.

Andy

Nov 12, 2013
Ayrshire, Scotland
There's a free program online that runs stuff in a contained virtual box, just noticed it on my bottom toolbar 'Sandboxie' might be worth a nosey.

Went to pop the disc into the lappy to run a virus check on it then remembered my dvd drive burnt out ages ago lol, The big man upstairs is telling me something

Last edited:

rcopus

Jun 6, 2012
Midlands
My own Virtual Box export that I'm uploading for you guys to use is still uploading, its gonna take another 2 hours.
I have to be up early as working away for a few days, so it may be Thursday evening, or Friday before I share the link.

Nonetheless if you follow the instructions I've provided (and perhaps Google some things I didn't explain too well) you should be up and running IF you actually got delivered the same cable I did.

Good luck!

Taff

Jun 10, 2002
South Wales
Nice one rcopus.

It would be good/relieving if DeanC and Fraczish can check if the cable detected CAN bus interface, when they have time to play.

Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro1_276 using Tapatalk

AJ

Oct 16, 2013
Great Work Rcopus and thanks for the detailed instructions. I will download the files and give the virtualbox installation a whirl...at least get that up and running first :)

YOU BEAUTY!!! works a treat now I followed your guide to the letter! Massive kudos to you my friend!!
Great to hear you have got it working mate, it is very encouraging indeed. Did you use the cd that came with your cable to install the software or did you use TerryT's copy before he removed it??

AJ

Oct 16, 2013
One thing that may help as part of the VBox install is to install ‘Guest Additions’ this makes things easier when resizing the screen size etc.

In VBox click the CD icon at the bottom right of the screen and select the CD drive that contains the VCDS disc. Drag the files to your desktop.

Change the computers date to 1st October 2013.

Run the ‘VCDS V12.12.0 setup file.
The installation password is xxxROSSTECH

Just curious why you need to change the system date to 1st October 2013. Is it required because of VirtualBox or so that VCDS will install. If its for VCDS install maybe this is why it wouldn't install for Frac & Dean when they tried earlier as they did not change their date before installing VCDS??? :think:

labmousee

Geek
Dec 22, 2013
Israel
Just curious why you need to change the system date to 1st October 2013. Is it required because of VirtualBox or so that VCDS will install. If its for VCDS install maybe this is why it wouldn't install for Frac & Dean when they tried earlier as they did not change their date before installing VCDS??? :think:

Most probably, it's done to make sure that the cracked software will not expire and lock the cable.

Andy

Nov 12, 2013
Ayrshire, Scotland
I was on that Ali site and was reading the negative reviews for the seller and he replies to one disgruntled buyer complaining that it doesn't work to set his pc date to April 2013.

Soft is not working!

Seller's reply
The software only update April ,2013 ,you can chnage your computer time to before April 2013,customer service is our goal No.1,please let me know before give me a negative feedback

Having said that the blurb advertising the cable contradicts, see #5. Two words spring to mind, arse and elbow.

Newest Update VAG COM 12.12 is the first affordable tool with any support at all for VW Crafter vans, and of course compatibility with all the latest 2013 model VW/Audi Group passenger cars.
VAG COM12.12 is fully compatible with all VW, Audi, Seat and Skoda models through the current model year, including models using a direct CAN connection for diagnostics.
Highlights
1.Supported win XP/7 32bit and 64bit
2.Not crack verison ,Original software Perfect install version with full function .
3.Self-protection .
4.More stable.
5.No need to offline,no need to change the PC time.
Notes:Just supported 12.12 now,can`t update.
VAGCOM 12.12 VCDS 12.12 HEX USB CAN new features.

Also noticed an FR UK owner leaving a good review saying the cable works fine, posted only a few days ago.

04 Jan 2014 19:11
Excellent service A+++++++++ Works perfectly on Seat Leon FR 2.0 TDI

Morning when I'm here :)

Last edited:

Fraczish

Aug 20, 2013
@andy thanks for the help with the xp files mate! ;-)

@taff being somewhat of a novice to all this I can't recall if did or not, will double check today however I Dont recall if throwing up and errors. (It was late lol)

@AJ I used the CD that came with the cable exactly as shown in the guide and it works perfectly.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise