saveoursouls

Jul 4, 2018
Manchester
Recently purchased a Leon, I’ve wanted a project car for a long time and the Leon has the right mix of practicality and looks. Bought as stock, idea was to invest in an unmodified car initially and build it up over time. Car has full service history, 112k miles, no major issues. Paid £2050 after some haggling which I feel is a decent price.

Below is how it looked as stock after it’s first polish and wax:

2995349a2a1532bb50371664d9d3162c.jpg

Following work to be carried out:

• Cambelt and waterpump change, last done six years ago (now replaced at the cost of £250) - DONE!
  • Clean MAF sensor, awaiting a T20 security torx to be delivered - DONE!
  • Removal of a large amount of tar from drivers side door (since removed with WD40) - DONE!
  • Remove dent from drivers door along with scratches
  • Three or four rust spots, will try to claim under the 12 year perforation warranty - Given up with this, going to DIY

Planned mods are as follows in no real order:
  • MK1, 2 or 3 gloss black cupra alloys or gunmetal
  • Stage 1 remap bringing it from 105BHP to 150BHP
  • Replace wing mirror covers with black covers - DONE!
  • Paint interior Centre panel Matt black instead of the standard gunmetal
  • Number plate surrounds - DONE! Removed front surround.
  • Replace radio antenna with Audi shark fin
  • Black out Leon lettering on the back and the front badge along with chrome highlights - Debadged back and painted front grill!
  • Black out rear and front lights along with side repeaters
  • Possibly lower the suspension, the odd speed pump already hits the exhaust so may as well if I’m going to have to avoid speed bumps
  • Update the clutch as to better handle the stage 1 remap - DONE!
  • Possibly change the exhaust
  • Paint or replace the petrol cap as to have it in gloss black - No longer want to do this.
  • Gloss black splitter
  • Replace seating with leather or FR seating.
  • Paint brake calipers red - DONE!

Updates are to follow!

Last edited:

flash061

Jun 7, 2014
Lisburn - Northern Ireland.
Love this shape Leon, good luck with her. If I remember rightly, I may have a set of silver/grey genuine FR caps at the house I bought when I had one of these, if they would interest you? Lemme know and I'll dig them out.

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Love a good MK2 Leon! Not Bias or anything haha

Looks like you lots to do!

I have some MK2 Heko wind deflecters going free if you're near me in Rutland?

saveoursouls

Jul 4, 2018
Manchester
Love this shape Leon, good luck with her. If I remember rightly, I may have a set of silver/grey genuine FR caps at the house I bought when I had one of these, if they would interest you? Lemme know and I'll dig them out.

Much appreciated but I’m going to stay away from turning into a replica and will just take the bits I like most. I’m going to go for cupra alloys with some generic seat centre caps.

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
About 3 hours away from you as I’m in Manchester. I’d be happy to pay postage though if you’d be kind enough post? Cheers
Thinking about it I may have some Black centre caps with the SEAT S on them in silver as my 19" wheels needed a smaller version. I thin these are 62mm but I can confirm.

I would post but I don't have a box for them and you can imagine they are quite fragile and a silly shape... Shame you cannot make the meet on Sunday I could of brought them with me.

saveoursouls

Jul 4, 2018
Manchester
Thinking about it I may have some Black centre caps with the SEAT S on them in silver as my 19" wheels needed a smaller version. I thin these are 62mm but I can confirm.

I would post but I don't have a box for them and you can imagine they are quite fragile and a silly shape... Shame you cannot make the meet on Sunday I could of brought them with me.

No worries, appreciate the offer.

Oh if only I’d got on here sooner and seen the meet, really wish I could go. I’m sure it’s going to be great fun.

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
No worries, appreciate the offer.

Oh if only I’d got on here sooner and seen the meet, really wish I could go. I’m sure it’s going to be great fun.
It's my first meet so i'll let you know haha

If anyone at the meet is your way and happy to take them back with them I'll see if I can get it closer to you lol

Reactions: saveoursouls

saveoursouls

Jul 4, 2018
Manchester
Since getting the Leon I have made a couple of visual adjustments, painted the front calipers red, wire brushed and sanded then painted with hammerite:

pnsAnCJTj

Not the best picture but I’ll post another once the rear calipers are painted.

Fitted some number plate surrounds, I’m going for a black on red contrast and these where perfect:

d7e4cf42091acab7dcdea5cc457e4ada.jpg

Next is finishing the calipers, painting the central console and fitting gloss black wing mirror covers, kindly donated by ergrgrtgdrgr

Once I’ve swapped over the wing mirror covers I’ll be donating the red ones on here.

Last edited:

saveoursouls

Jul 4, 2018
Manchester
Wing mirror caps arrived today courtesy
of ergrgrtgdrgr, thanks again!

Now on the car and looks as follows:

a99a525908b8bcafc1d1f29eaa379636.jpg

5c39655dbdd07cfa1ae0288cd9bad4bb.jpg

With a bit of contrast the reds really starting to look good. Need to finish the calipers, did one of the rears last night and noticed that the wheel hub also needed some TLC so did that in black and need to repeat for the other wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Good work the black makes it look lots better!

In my opinion you need to get hold of the black gloss grill instead of that chrome one and maybe wrap the bits just to the sides of the number plate black.

Good work!

saveoursouls

Jul 4, 2018
Manchester
Good work the black makes it look lots better!

In my opinion you need to get hold of the black gloss grill instead of that chrome one and maybe wrap the bits just to the sides of the number plate black.

Good work!

I was going to paint the grill gloss black but if there’s one that’s OEM I’m sure the finish would be better. Does it happen to be the cupra grill, I like the honeycomb grill.

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Just had a quick look and I think it's about £80 for a black gloss version with the chrome S badge, I think it's from the K1 going by this old post

"I have the original K1 grille with the gloss black surround but it has the chrome S badge.
Cost £80"

For that I'm not sure if you just want to dip it and see what happens. I assume it's still the straight down slots and not the honeycomb though... Google MK2 Leon K1 front and see what you think.

You may find that the Facelift grill fits the pre facelift then you can use the same as my Cupra R as that's honeycomb and black

Hope that helps

saveoursouls

Jul 4, 2018
Manchester
Just had a quick look and I think it's about £80 for a black gloss version with the chrome S badge, I think it's from the K1 going by this old post

"I have the original K1 grille with the gloss black surround but it has the chrome S badge.
Cost £80"

For that I'm not sure if you just want to dip it and see what happens. I assume it's still the straight down slots and not the honeycomb though... Google MK2 Leon K1 front and see what you think.

You may find that the Facelift grill fits the pre facelift then you can use the same as my Cupra R as that's honeycomb and black

Hope that helps

Yeah that’s a great help cheers Jim, I think for the cost of a grill I’ll plastidip and then glossifier, gloss black wrap or paint gloss black. I’ve no plans to sell in a few years time, I intend to put some time and money into this so not too worried about taking it back to stock. I love the idea of plastidip I’m just not after a Matt finish and the glossifier doesn’t look as good as paint with lacquer.

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
To give you an idea on wrapping, I got my lower front bumper lip done in gloss black and that cost me £80 lol I bet wrapping the grill would be about the same...

But if you wrapped that and the bits next to the number plate you may get it cheaper...

Get it to look a little like this maybe (without the cupra badge lol

4b1e8b04b03ea65a7c750841c981bbcc.jpg

Reactions: saveoursouls

saveoursouls

Jul 4, 2018
Manchester
To give you an idea on wrapping, I got my lower front bumper lip done in gloss black and that cost me £80 lol I bet wrapping the grill would be about the same...

But if you wrapped that and the bits next to the number plate you may get it cheaper...

Get it to look a little like this maybe (without the cupra badge lol

View attachment 930

That’s pretty much what I have in mind, without the badge lol and black alloys. If I go the vinyl wrap route I’ll do it myself, I’m by no means good at it but I’ve done it before and aren’t to be getting better with practice. I’m really tempted by plasti dip with glossifier as it seems a hell of s lot easier just not sure it would give the finish I’d be after.

saveoursouls

Jul 4, 2018
Manchester
Further work on calipers and wheel hubs this evening, I’ve managed one an evening. Need to paint the front wheel hubs and then I’m done with painting calipers and wheel hubs hurrah!!!

During prep:

0271070d854f63b42f54a447676947ce.jpg

Paint on:

765067927181e873d0654d59d3627f5f.jpg

Wheel on:

b2064c0b59807e19949ab2154ac0c3c4.jpg

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members