Speeding !!!!!!!!

pompeydave

Nov 30, 2017
My colleague got a hefty fine through a while back , got caught on camera he said but didn't reveal speed/fine he got....was very embarrassed about it. I know his fine was hefty, he's on BIG money and it went on how much he earnt he said.

Deleted member 103408

I usually use the car sliding sideways towards a kerb as a warning I'm going too fast in winter :D. I'll look see what other speed warnings I've got... I might set me a calming warning for when I'm getting past some d!ckhead on the motorway.
you needto start doing track days with us then you dont need any warnings

Reactions: Legojon

surrealjam

Jan 8, 2015
The Government didn't think it was reckless back in the day, they gave me a warrant to do it.

So I assume there was a purpose to you driving fast back then. Don't act like driving at 105mph on roads shared with the general public doesn't come with risks because you've done it before. I like to think police trained in high speed pursuits appreciate that as well.

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
So I assume there was a purpose to you driving fast back then. Don't act like driving at 105mph on roads shared with the general public doesn't come with risks because you've done it before. I like to think police trained in high speed pursuits appreciate that as well.
Where do you think the Police drive then? We even have a defence against exceeding speed limits for Crown vehicles here. High speed driving on busy roads is all about awareness and risk mitigation, and once you've done it for a few years, the skills never leave you.

Reactions: Polly and Walone

surrealjam

Jan 8, 2015
Where do you think the Police drive then? We even have a defence against exceeding speed limits for Crown vehicles here. High speed driving on busy roads is all about awareness and risk mitigation, and once you've done it for a few years, the skills never leave you.

I can only assume you're being deliberately obtuse as you've missed my point entirely.

Reactions: JCM27

Polly

Jan 16, 2019
The Government didn't think it was reckless back in the day, they gave me a warrant to do it.
Yes me too. Went back to training them, now similar after retirement. [As commented not so easy these days with the poor skill levels out there.]

Reactions: LouG

cupra14

Aug 31, 2017
England
Perhaps it's worth trying to figure out the costs of a fine plus ban (so, hiring driver or something) plus increased insurance?

Then try to guess how much it might be worth spending on really good legal help in the hope of reducing the amount.

How you then finance it if you can't just pay is a critical issue but arguably secondary to trying to get the shortest or no ban (if that's possible).

I expect you're entitled to a copy of the video, but a solicitor expert in these matters should know for sure.

I've no idea if the above is actually better than just pleading guilty and being very nice about explaining the mess you've put yourself in and hoping for the best - sorry.

Diamond123

Feb 19, 2016
Hi All,
I know it was stupid and feel totally embarrassed and guilty over this. But Just got done for speeding 108mph on a duel carriageway on my own clear conditions, just went pass a row of lorry’s and briefly gave it some poke and in between them was a unmarked police car. Will I get banned for this as I need my car to get to work due to shift work and no public transport and also for the children on school runs and other normal dad taxi activity

I got off for doing 97mph in a 50mph. Just got a warning for it. Albeit was 2am with no one on the road.
Depends if its local police or motorway police. If its motorway lot they prob hit you with every fine possible. Depends if you have had priors of speeding. Could play it off as a one off if you havent been in trouble before.

GrayT

I'm Old
Jul 7, 2004
London
If you were only going at that speed for 20 seconds I don't see how he could have got an adequate timer on you. He would have been going a max of 60. He has reaction time to you going past and then he has to check it is safe for him to manoeuvre out and then accelerate by which time you would have been quite a way in front. Either you have underestimated how long you were going that fast for or he hasn't got the evidence.

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
If you were only going at that speed for 20 seconds I don't see how he could have got an adequate timer on you. He would have been going a max of 60. He has reaction time to you going past and then he has to check it is safe for him to manoeuvre out and then accelerate by which time you would have been quite a way in front. Either you have underestimated how long you were going that fast for or he hasn't got the evidence.
20 seconds is plenty of time. He will give evidence of his speed when the OP passed him, the time it took to reach the same speed and then how long he paced him at that speed. The totality of that evidence is very strong.

JCM27

Apr 15, 2019
One thing to note is we might not know the full story. Some vital points could've been left out and we'd have no way of confirming OPs side of the story.

If OP knew the consequences of getting fined/banned for reckless driving, then why risk it anyway?

bgb

Jan 22, 2019
One thing to note is we might not know the full story. Some vital points could've been left out and we'd have no way of confirming OPs side of the story.

If OP knew the consequences of getting fined/banned for reckless driving, then why risk it anyway?

We probably don't know the full story or factual happenings, but to state if OP knew the consequences then why speed is a bit inconsequential in all fairness..

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
Hi All,
I know it was stupid and feel totally embarrassed and guilty over this. But Just got done for speeding 108mph on a duel carriageway on my own clear conditions, just went pass a row of lorry’s and briefly gave it some poke and in between them was a unmarked police car. Will I get banned for this as I need my car to get to work due to shift work and no public transport and also for the children on school runs and other normal dad taxi activity

Any update on this from the OP? Surely should have had a summons by now?

Reactions: Oddmanout

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
20 seconds is plenty of time. He will give evidence of his speed when the OP passed him, the time it took to reach the same speed and then how long he paced him at that speed. The totality of that evidence is very strong.

Agreed - 20 secs at 108mph is 0.6 miles - long enough to get a speed fix.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
I got banned for 119mph on a dual carriageway

12 month ban / dangerous driving with extended resit / £1200 fine

My brother got banned at 112mph again dangerous driving and extended resit / £1200

I can’t see any other punishment except 12 month ban for dangerous driving and extended resit.

Im afraid it sucks but you do learn from it.

hitchygolf1971

May 4, 2017
I got banned for 119mph on a dual carriageway

12 month ban / dangerous driving with extended resit / £1200 fine

My brother got banned at 112mph again dangerous driving and extended resit / £1200

I can’t see any other punishment except 12 month ban for dangerous driving and extended resit.

Im afraid it sucks but you do learn from it.
Christ I didn’t think it would be that much for a first offence on my driving license in 28yrs of driving. Advise I’ve had it could be a ban between 7-56 days or 6 points if my mitigation goes ok

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Christ I didn’t think it would be that much for a first offence on my driving license in 28yrs of driving. Advise I’ve had it could be a ban between 7-56 days or 6 points if my mitigation goes ok
It depends entirely what they have charged you with.
If they bring the charge of dangerous driving in then its bad news. If no dangerous driving then i can see a shorter ban.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members