How to update Sat Nav, in simple easy terms

Stupra

Mar 25, 2008
West Yorkshire
Guys,

A lot of posts have explained the process of doing an update of your cars SatNav card as supplied. I summoned up the courage to try it, Its taken me 2 days to sort this, but I have! Try this,;

Read it first and understand the principles of how this works. Note this assumes Windows is your operating system, VW do show how to for Apple in the link below. Be aware of the 2 systems in Atecas!! It should work on the Leon as well.

1; Go to SEAT site and download latest map version for your cars infotainment system. https://www.seat.com/owners/my-seat/nav ... ateca.html I used the 6PO version for my car and "Europe 1" map

Store it on PC on your hard drive for future use. (Create a file called "SEAT Ateca Sat Nav Details)

2; Ensure your SD card from your car is "unlocked" beforehand, check the slider on the side of the card. Put original SD card in PC and "cut and paste" original "maps" file onto hard drive into your "SEAT Ateca" file and call it "Original" just in case you need to reinstall it back onto the card. There will be a file called "maps", this is the program you need to copy. Ensure SD card is empty after transferring off old map.

3; Copy new downloaded maps folder from Ateca folder of PC to SD card completely. Use "7 zip" as below: You will need to download "7zip" onto your PC, then follow these instructional steps below from VW for reference. Be very aware of the unzipping program &zip, its what the maps bundle comes in.

https://webspecial.volkswagen.de/vwinfo ... 994e464a9f Choose the Golf model 2017 and the "Discover Media" unit. Scroll to the bottom of this page and find "Download Manual PDF! This is really useful!

4; Then crucially, copy from your ORIGINAL map this file this "MAPS/EEC/EEC_WLD/OVERALL.NDS" to replace the same file on your SD card with the new update. This means that original data on the original map program is carried over onto the new map program. Without doing this, the new downloaded map will not work, as it is car-specific.

5; Relock the SD card and put in car!

Hope this helps!! As I said, took me 2 days but I eventually got it right. Read these instructions and do the downloads in preparation first and keep a cool head when doing it! I've now got version 1115, coming from version 0820

Good Luck!

mpk490p

Oct 19, 2014
Good info, last time I tried it I just got no maps, presumed this was because I had to pay for the map update, are you saying the map update is free this way?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tell

Staff member
It's the mib2 standard workaround. Whole thread devoted to it

https://forums.seatcupra.net/index.php?threads/navigation-system-updates.388586/page-83

Been known since 2016 where those people in the know have been happily doing it. Surgeries are on that thread. I just link to it. Basically the instructions are re-posted by assorted people but Exciter was the original poster and it's his carefull analysis.

Basically Mib1 was never installed on Ateca's there are no workarounds. Mib2 standard which is the Ateca with the map on an SD the workaround works if you don't have Mapcare. That leaves the Plus (mib2 high), no free workaround. If you want free updates then you get your unit converted in a retrofit with modded firmware which comes with a retrofit, only one company seems to do that in the UK based in South London. Failing that you cough up. In Europe you can get Mib2 high mapcare put on for £600 or so. Half price if you go for the retrofit option. Other than that you buy the maps and have the installation done by your dealer when required.

The other sister thread to this is the firmware thread:

https://forums.seatcupra.net/index.php?threads/sw-update-for-mib2-infotainment-system.427280/page-20

That's the goto place for free standard firmware updates for those with technical skills and vcds. Some clues on that for the outfit that handles the Plus unit.

Stupra

Mar 25, 2008
West Yorkshire
Good info, last time I tried it I just got no maps, presumed this was because I had to pay for the map update, are you saying the map update is free this way?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep, it's free. It's on the SEAT website.

No dealer visit, no additional firmware, no faffing. Follow my simplified instructions and you too can have update 1115, no problem.

Tell

Staff member
Yep, it's free. It's on the SEAT website.

No dealer visit, no additional firmware, no faffing. Follow my simplified instructions and you too can have update 1115, no problem.

Or this link :)

https://forums.seatcupra.net/index.php?threads/mib2-map-updates-2019.447577/

All the files are identical whether Seat, Skoda or VW. From the VW site you pick Discover Media Tiguan2 for the Seat Standard.... but as I've said a few times now the all European file. Post 7 on that thread. It's a VW special only that covers all of Europe after VW received complaints in how it was needlessly bundled into seven zones Europe for the November release. I give the server links on that thread.

Basically each June and November the race begins on VAG boards to find the twice annual map updates laying about on servers or published. Seat is always late to publish theirs. So those in the know don't bother with the Seat site. Sometimes the updated are found a month before the official release. You never know next month we might find the summer release :).

You can pay back by being a map contributor:

Standard Mib2 - TomTom

https://www.tomtom.com/mapshare/tools

Plus (Mib2 High) - Here Maps

https://mapcreator.here.com/

mpk490p

Oct 19, 2014
my version number say SHIELD 2016-3 (build 020)
e0ad58d9a89984a6efa7a929d3bab6a7.jpg

Tell

Staff member
The process to get the correct version currently installed is here

https://hereshop.navigation.com/pro...o/sku/seat_non-distro_Leon/en_GB/HEREEMEA/GBP

Press the “NAV” Button.
Confirm the “Setup” > “Version information” selection on the display.

The code you want is the one shown after "Navigation Database:"

On a Seat Mib2 with the standard software release it should say 6P.... followed by a code (1115 for Seat November 2018 release), 6P means the release is Mib2 standard. The next line is the release... then year etc.

Shield line I believe is the build code but not the release. The shield line you just ignore. Its the other that are important.

The one that doesn't fall inline with this is the all Europe VW 1115 release where they didn't populate the line correctly. There is a post on this on the other thread and what to do if you want to change it.

Post 1601

https://forums.seatcupra.net/index.php?threads/navigation-system-updates.388586/page-81

When the workaround was first published the quote was part of it, although you didn't have to do step 4 it was cosmetic. Then with the all Europe release this year people were making corrections to the display. That's how they did it going back to the original post making it 6P. If you don't it may confuse anyone that does the standard test that's if they know about these things. It was thought you had to retain the part number but that's just for display. The lines of code around there are for each VAG brand.

Also the whole November 2019 standard release VAG messed up the release naming convention in any case. Mention that in the link.

Last edited:

Tell

Staff member
Ps the penny dropped on why they zoned the SD release into 7 areas. Don't think it's related to SD size since all of Europe still fits onto the the SD card but VW and Skoda have moved to "connect" so customers can do it over 4g if they want. Alot of 4G data so they opted to zone - thats my theory. Seat dont support uploads of map files or POI via 4g or wifi direct to the infotainment unit so just academic ($). The overheads of downloading an additional 10gb on home broadband are nothing these days but not on 4g. Doesn't stop the naysayers saying it's an improvement that you can't drive across Europe ;).

($) that method where the speed camera bong is omitted.

aggie

Apr 28, 2009
Guys,

A lot of posts have explained the process of doing an update of your cars SatNav card as supplied. I summoned up the courage to try it, Its taken me 2 days to sort this, but I have! Try this,;

Read it first and understand the principles of how this works. Note this assumes Windows is your operating system, VW do show how to for Apple in the link below. Be aware of the 2 systems in Atecas!! It should work on the Leon as well.

1; Go to SEAT site and download latest map version for your cars infotainment system. https://www.seat.com/owners/my-seat/nav ... ateca.html I used the 6PO version for my car and "Europe 1" map

Store it on PC on your hard drive for future use. (Create a file called "SEAT Ateca Sat Nav Details)

2; Ensure your SD card from your car is "unlocked" beforehand, check the slider on the side of the card. Put original SD card in PC and "cut and paste" original "maps" file onto hard drive into your "SEAT Ateca" file and call it "Original" just in case you need to reinstall it back onto the card. There will be a file called "maps", this is the program you need to copy. Ensure SD card is empty after transferring off old map.

3; Copy new downloaded maps folder from Ateca folder of PC to SD card completely. Use "7 zip" as below: You will need to download "7zip" onto your PC, then follow these instructional steps below from VW for reference. Be very aware of the unzipping program &zip, its what the maps bundle comes in.

https://webspecial.volkswagen.de/vwinfo ... 994e464a9f Choose the Golf model 2017 and the "Discover Media" unit. Scroll to the bottom of this page and find "Download Manual PDF! This is really useful!

4; Then crucially, copy from your ORIGINAL map this file this "MAPS/EEC/EEC_WLD/OVERALL.NDS" to replace the same file on your SD card with the new update. This means that original data on the original map program is carried over onto the new map program. Without doing this, the new downloaded map will not work, as it is car-specific.

5; Relock the SD card and put in car!

Hope this helps!! As I said, took me 2 days but I eventually got it right. Read these instructions and do the downloads in preparation first and keep a cool head when doing it! I've now got version 1115, coming from version 0820

Good Luck!
Cheers Stupra I have just updated my sat nav to the latest version as per your instructions went like a dream and saved a few bob into the bargain.

Bedlam

Feb 26, 2009
North Yorkshire
Cheers Stupra I have just updated my sat nav to the latest version as per your instructions went like a dream and saved a few bob into the bargain.
What version did you download from "the Seat site", I bet it is not the latest version available (from VW) which is 1310

Tell

Staff member
Well the workaround instructions haven't changed since January 2017 which Exciter devised on the thread

https://forums.seatcupra.net/index.php?threads/navigation-system-updates.388586/page-91

Many people have republished them across the net. The original instructions assumed you knew what you were doing, never mentioned backing up of the card, unclipping it, reclipping it, 7 zip, Mac, need for Fat32 format if reformatting it, sector size or rebooting the unit before inserting the card and assumed that only Seat update files were the ones to use. It was left hanging whether you needed to edit the part number or not to make it work. You didn't but you can finesses it if you want.

For my part whilst I didn't have access to that unit at that stage read from German boards that the map release for the mib2 standard unit was all the same across the Vag group, The high unit is different but again all the same. Often the Seat servers get the updates later than VW and Skoda which is why you pick them up from other servers. At the minute Seat servers have the most up to date standard release although they don't have the whole of Europe release just the zoned parts. You can get that from VW or Skoda servers. Useful for those people driving across Europe between zones. That release doesn't have a Seat part number on it, but works just the same. That's where finessing comes in for those bothered.

With the June 2019 release improved instructions appear on the main thread

https://forums.seatcupra.net/index.php?threads/navigation-system-updates.388586/page-91

Posts 1809 and my corrections on 1810 :). The 1809 instructions the guy there gives the EU zone 1 if you want all of Europe it's this:

http://vw-mapscdn.tdd.adacorcdn.com/DiscoverMedia2_EU_AS_1310_V11.7z

See post 1757 and 1693 where I list all sources and zones. That's all on the main thread. On the Ateca thread I list the sources here for the June 2019 release so it's all in one place:

https://forums.seatcupra.net/index.php?threads/mib2-map-updates-2019-2020-june-2019-release.453008/

Last edited:

aggie

Apr 28, 2009
Bedlam, yes it was off the seat site as per Stupras link 6PO euroup 1 I then unzipped it direct into my formatted seat card and replaced the overall.nds with the one from my original map and bobs your uncle I have 1310 on my sat nav. You try it.

Tell

Staff member
My sat nav after upgrade following Stupras instructions View attachment 8657

Did you reboot before you put the SD card back in so it didn't generate an SVM error ? ;). Probably not, that was never in Exciter's original instructions that became apparent when people ran VCDS checks later. Works with the error but better not to get it in the first place since garages won't clear it and it's fiddly to do yourself. Some people never manage to get rid of the error once they get it.

That's the zone 1 European map. I recommend sticking to the all Europe download so you replace like with like rather than the zones.

Bedlam

Feb 26, 2009
North Yorkshire
Bedlam, yes it was off the seat site as per Stupras link 6PO euroup 1 I then unzipped it direct into my formatted seat card and replaced the overall.nds with the one from my original map and bobs your uncle I have 1310 on my sat nav. You try it.
Thanks but I have been rolling with 1310 since 20th of June

aggie

Apr 28, 2009
Hi Tell long time no speak. The original card after copying the contents formatted to Fat 32. The updated card was then replaced in slot 2 when turned on it loaded in the normal way. No rebooting was necessary as i am not sure what you mean by rebooting please explain.

Tell

Staff member
If you run an error check that's when you may find a Software Version Management (SVM) error. Obviously if you haven't got VCDS / Obdeleven and do the check you are none the wiser to an Infotainment error which means someone has been meddling with the unit. You can't clear these the normal way by just saying clear errors, it pops up back again. Dealers don't clear these since you have to go through a procedure to clear them.

It has been cracked but you do sometimes have to repeat the procedure since the error stacks up. Obdeleven clear process I cover here, post 35:

https://forums.seatcupra.net/index....vity-working-ones-for-the-ateca.438134/page-2

Your normal person isn't into Boolean algebra which is the way the compute clear code is generated. Whilst I have the pure maths degree for it, I'm too old to bother with it by doing it by hand, I use the Audi enthusiast form filling routine :). Covered in the thread.

They are annoying when you get them. By rebooting the standard unit before you re-insert the SD card after the workaround you stop all processes in the unit. Just putting the card in the unit without a full power down is where I believe the SVM error gets introduced, which is reported by a number of people on the main Leon thread. Whilst the unit will work fine with the SVM flag, it's nice to clear them. I've never had one on the standard unit but my antics on the high have caused them. People upgrading the firmware also trigger them.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.