6th.replicant

May 29, 2008
London
Seem to remember reading elsewhere on SCN that you're thinking of relocating your battery to the boot-floor?

Surely it's better to relocate the battery to somewhere within the car's wheelbase, & as near to the floor as possible, such as the rear-seat-area or rear passenger floor (assuming you're still ditching the rear seats)? ;)

While on the topic of placing a car's masses within the wheelbase - makes you wonder whether a f-ing great FMIC hanging over the nose affects turn-in/understeer, unless, of course, 1 FMIC weighs less than the 2 OEM intercoolers...? :think:

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Seem to remember reading elsewhere on SCN that you're thinking of relocating your battery to the boot-floor?

Surely it's better to relocate the battery to somewhere within the car's wheelbase, & as near to the floor as possible, such as the rear-seat-area or rear passenger floor (assuming you're still ditching the rear seats)? ;)

While on the topic of placing a car's masses within the wheelbase - makes you wonder whether a f-ing great FMIC hanging over the nose affects turn-in/understeer, unless, of course, 1 FMIC weighs less than the 2 OEM intercoolers...? :think:
With the battery in the spare wheel well it's almost between the rear wheels.
FMIC hanging infront of the front wheels aint great but the benefits outweight the downfalls

Jun 17, 2007
Aberdeenshire
You aint messing about willie,

bring on proper tracking session,

the guy with scales has went away on holiday for two weeks when i got back so never had a chance to ask, typical eh!

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
You do want some weight in the back to help keep it stable under heavy braking etc., my battery is at the front of the spare wheel well near the rear beam and I do find it helps to keep the rear stable.
Yup was thinking about keeping the old battery just now to give me a bit more weight just now. Plan to change to race spec one at some point

You aint messing about willie,

bring on proper tracking session,

the guy with scales has went away on holiday for two weeks when i got back so never had a chance to ask, typical eh!
Nae bother, track day booked for 8th august SIDC KnockHill:)

Skorchio

600 Miles to a tank :)
Jan 23, 2007
Nr Milton Keynes
Better late then never :)

Excuse the bad placing of the breaker, had to stick it on a flat bit till screwed on!!

DSC00051.jpg

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
All went well today, in fact it was friggin AWESOME!! Kept the car shiny side up the whole day.
Brakes were amazing, zero fade, zero problems
Suspension was very nice, back end felt great on very fast tight dropping right hander at 70-80MPH not hint of swapping ends.
Tyres were good too, a bit of side wall flex but grip was very good for road tyres. The fronts were almost on the wear band and now pretty slick, lol. Dropped the pressure a few times during the day as they heated up.
Was a very mixed bag of cars, from a 205 MI16, Ferrari F430, Porsche 911 GT3 RS, TVR, 350Z, Clio, Scoobies, EVO's, Caterham 7's, Integra, Civic, Elise's Exiges.
Was mixing it with the 205 MI16, he was caged so better on the corners but had him on the straights. Had some of the Scoobies too. Most of the guys were very experienced but the Leon held her head high. Even on the straights half of the field were struggling to get past me:)

So I've decided that the most important things for me now is a roll cage and R888 tyres. Will be hunting for prices very soon for both.
Anyone with any links with roll cage suppliers please PM me

mrwookie

Big Daddy...
Mar 22, 2008
Cambs & Herts
So well worth doing I track day then Willie...???

One of those things I keep meaning to do, inbetween the car breaking... ;), but have never got round to it...??

RobDon

Pro Detailer
I used to enjoy trackdays until a few very close calls ruined it for me, mainly down to morons whose abilities fell way short like their brain cells.

I wouldn't get R888's, most who have tried them don't rate them very highly. The new Toyo R1-R is supposed to be halfway between the T1-R and the R888. The new Yokohama Advan Neova is supposed to be very good too. I found the Hankook RS2-Z212 to be an excellent track and road tyre.

Trackday semi-slicks like the R888 are going to be made illegal to use on the road soon anyway due to their inability to work well in the wet - according to what I read.

Indy

MK1 LC Red Devil :)
Sep 8, 2005
Uxbridge
I agree with Rob, I've done some runs on my T1-Rs and they are superb.

T1-Rs are aboth web and dry track tyres so get the extra benefit of your trackday not being ruined case your on semi slicks..

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
I used to enjoy trackdays until a few very close calls ruined it for me, mainly down to morons whose abilities fell way short like their brain cells.

I wouldn't get R888's, most who have tried them don't rate them very highly. The new Toyo R1-R is supposed to be halfway between the T1-R and the R888. The new Yokohama Advan Neova is supposed to be very good too. I found the Hankook RS2-Z212 to be an excellent track and road tyre.

Trackday semi-slicks like the R888 are going to be made illegal to use on the road soon anyway due to their inability to work well in the wet - according to what I read.
I spoke to a few guys on Saturday and all found R888's to be the best bar non before committing to slicks

Gutted I couldn't come like! Would have been god weather for it!!
Shame you weren't there. Driving standards were very good and weather was perfect

Glad you enjoyed it,

Sounds like we could have a track junkie here, i can say you fairly know how to handle a car from what i have seen.
Yup, I'm addicted.
Really was ace. Knowing that you can use the whole track and that the car is set up properly to handle the abuse was reassuring too

I agree with Rob, I've done some runs on my T1-Rs and they are superb.

T1-Rs are aboth web and dry track tyres so get the extra benefit of your trackday not being ruined case your on semi slicks..
Well the Good Year Eagle F1 Asymmetrics performed perfectly, I wouldn't buy another road tyre TBH. The only issue was side wall flex. The newer road tyres have stiffer walls but R888's is where I'm heading. I'll run these on the front with Asymmetrics on the rear

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk

This is about track use, then R888's are the right road legal/track tyres......... but mind the wearbar at the end of the day vs the trip home, or get some track wheels and not worry.. (and try slicks for the full experience.. :D )

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.