Rear wash problems the common fault

bundy1981

Oct 16, 2008
Morning,

My rear wash has stopped working. I have checked the hose above the drivers side wheel which seems fine and is connected. Is the next plce to check the actual hose under the boot trim or is there another one of these somewhere else in the car to check. You cn hear the motor going so im hoping that its just the hose

Chriswaite130

Byebye TDI, Hello VTEC y0
Jan 24, 2008
Northumberland
Yeah best place to check is under the boot trim. Undo all the screws and give it a good yank, its tough but does come off. Make sure you cable-tie the hose back on though because it'll keep popping off.

vroomtshh

Sep 11, 2005
Dreghorn, Scotland
Yeah best place to check is under the boot trim. Undo all the screws and give it a good yank, its tough but does come off. Make sure you cable-tie the hose back on though because it'll keep popping off.

You can't cable tie it. Its a solid plastic fitting.

The other place they come off is in the engine bay underneath the air box.

bundy1981

Oct 16, 2008
do the rear wash cables come off in the engine bay. i've had 4 seats 3 ibizas and one leon and all the ibizas have had this issue. Bad design especially in this weather

vroomtshh

Sep 11, 2005
Dreghorn, Scotland
do the rear wash cables come off in the engine bay. i've had 4 seats 3 ibizas and one leon and all the ibizas have had this issue. Bad design especially in this weather

Yeh they come off in the engine bay under the airbox, in the rear wheel well and at the actual boot.
Really crap design. I haven;t used my rear washer in about two years as you never know when it'll blow again.

bundy1981

Oct 16, 2008
Cheers mate i'm going to take it to a garage if its the engine bay as i dont want to mess about in there. Well i'm changing my car type altogether in july

bundy1981

Oct 16, 2008
wihtout a guide i'm knackered mate as i have no idea with cars but there are some good diagrams showing how to get the boot trim off etc that i use

vroomtshh

Sep 11, 2005
Dreghorn, Scotland
Guide for the engine bay

You know what the airbox is? - Right hand side of the engine bay behind the battery?
Take 4 or 5 screw out of it, remove airfilter. Remove 2 or three bolts on bottom half of airbox which secure it to the car
Look in the hole you've created for two pipes
Join them back together

Refit airbox.

Its probably the easiest job you'll ever do

krussel

Oct 31, 2008
Hertforshire
Mine went last year i think its a tighter fit on the 1.9 tdi. I ended up taking mine in to be fixed, reconnected in two places, cost about £40 quid i think :(

Chriswaite130

Byebye TDI, Hello VTEC y0
Jan 24, 2008
Northumberland
Thanks :) yeah fronts are fine just the back must of popped off again and its getting mot'd on Saturday. Will try and get it sorted for then anyway

malky39

Mar 12, 2008
Southside
well this happened to mine for the second year in a row last week. last year it was the one at the air box and this year it was above the rear drivers side wheel arch spraying water into the boot. both times i have taken it to the dealer and it was fixed under warranty. But when i picked it up last week the leak in the boot was fixed but the washer fluid was now coming into the passenger side under the glove box go the car 100m down the road from the garage and just turned back when i found this. now guess what the fluid is spraying back into the passenger footwell so its going back in. why can seat not just make a fix for it as its a very common fault

IbizaTDI08

Aug 7, 2008
mine has come off for the 3rd time under the bonnet now, and the car is only 18 months old, nice to see they can do a good job on getting it right!! or maybe not as it seems,

Cal91

1.4 Powerrr
Mine went a week ago. It popped off under the bonnet, connected it back up and I sprayed it... and bang it went in the boot.

I had to take all the trim out and popped the back one on again.
Then today it went again. Fixed it under the bonnet and once again I sprayed it and a little bit sprayed onto the rear window and it then started pissing in my boot. I actually cba to fix it again!

They should sort the issue, but I guess its rather hard to fix! They'd have to remove every pipe and replace it!

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.