Mythbuster's '95 Mk2 Ibiza 1.4 CLX [22-07-2011 > Banded black shiny steel :D]

Mythbuster

Oct 6, 2010
Made, The Netherlands
My 350 euro car which I bought because I wanted "a" car... Yet now I want nothing else but a mk2 Ibiza, except with a slightly bigger engine.

This is what it looked like:
Foto0510.jpg

Started polishing and washing and cleaning and who knows what the next day.
End of the day, it looked like this:
Foto0518.jpg

Foto0525-1.jpg

Well, I started looking for a MK2 or Mk1 Golf for under 1000 euros, just because I wanted a car. While I was looking in a car magazine, some old bloke came in the shop where I was working, saw me looking in the magazine for a car to buy, and asked me if I wanted to buy a Seat... "Meh.. maybe..... Why?" "I got one for sale, outside"... Went outside and my first reaction was "Jesus that paint is dull... It looks like a piece of cheese", until I heard he asked 350 euros... I looked up the insurrance and it was cheap, so I thought well what the heck, I can only loose 350, even if it is rubbish I can still sell it for over 350... Also, I only earn 50 euros a month, so I didn't have a lot of money to spend on a car. I only have 400 left right now, after spending about 3000 for my license and my school

Came home, and after about a week I asked for the guys phone number and told him I wanted to buy the Ibiza(and I didn't even have my license yet :whistle:)...
We didn't even test drive it before I bought it, and after I got it my dad took me for a ride and told me he'd drive the car to Austria and back without being scared of it breaking down, My place to Austria is 1000 km, 621 miles..., and that's for a car with 208000 km on it, about 130000 miles, and my dad usually finds any 15 year old car a piece of cheese even if it's mint...

After a while I thought it was time to repaint the left front fender, you can see the clear coat was coming off REALLY badly. I know it's slightly dull and stuff, but what the heck, it's a 350 euro car and it was my first paintjob with cheap paint aswell.
Foto0787.jpg

And this is what it looks like as I'm typing this (well, a bit more dirty... )

Foto0791.jpg

Foto0909.jpg

Foto0910.jpg

Foto0917.jpg

(Yes I need to get that "no smoking" sticker off, but I don't want it to leave such a mark as the one that had been next to it!)

Also, my roof clear coat is peeling too... Might at one point decide to do that matt black like some of you guys, is it hard to do that for a fool like me? Pic:
Foto0911.jpg

So yeah... The things I did to it and spent on it:

New rear light bulb: already had that
New rear wiper(which won't shut off): 5 euros? No idea...
Scrapyard parcelshelf: 20 euros
Pioneer Radio/CD-player and 4 speakers: +-80 + 70?.. altogether about 150 euros apparantly...
Paint: I think about 50 euros, no idea actually...
One New window rubber for either door: Free since I got it off a scrap car at a garage my dad knows the owner of...

That's about it.

So that's my ride... I'm going to try some seed oil thingy on the bumpers maybe, since someone here told me that would make them black again.

I just came back from a 244 km trip, and it didn't have any problems whatsoever, even got to 150 km/h at one point, cruising side by side with another red Mk2 Ibiza!

Any comment about my car would be nice of course!

Last edited:

Mythbuster

Oct 6, 2010
Made, The Netherlands
Slight update...

Took the hubcaps off and fitted Golf Mk2 centercaps, 10 euros worth, but personally I think it looks a lot better... Just need coilies and unfaded bumpers now... EDIT: And a full respray... But I don't think I'll live long enough to earn enough money lol :p

Foto0945.jpg

Foto0951.jpg

Foto0949.jpg

Mythbuster

Oct 6, 2010
Made, The Netherlands
Had a big-a** dent in the rear quarter last night... Managed to get most of it out with back of a screwdriver through the vents in the carpet in the trunk... Hit a mailbox at 1mph in reverse at night, while trying to get it up someones driveway to do something about the rust on the dent in the rear below the bumper... Could smack myself in the head for this, was just plain stupid! Trying to watch the left side because I thought there was nothing in the bushes on the right side anyway... and then arggh!

Now I got 3 8 inch long, pretty deep scratches on the side and some small dents... The darn mailbox was so loose in the ground that I didn't even notice it at first! I mean, it could move 20 cm with just one finger... Yet the dent was twice as big as it is on the pictures!
Foto0965.jpg

Foto0962.jpg

Foto0963-1.jpg

Effing BALLS! :(

Mythbuster

Oct 6, 2010
Made, The Netherlands
Lowered now! First just the front, did that yesterday: 60mm down :)

Foto0998.jpg

Foto1007.jpg

So that's yesterday, this is today... Lowered on the rear too, 40mm.
Just came back... One pic is night-mode...
Foto1010.jpg

Foto1011.jpg

Mythbuster

Oct 6, 2010
Made, The Netherlands
Well uhh... Yeah... drunk people tipped it on the side a few nights ago. Whole side is screwed and dented.

I'll copy my post here from Here...
Well..... It's carnaval in the Netherlands, and that means everyone is drunk from 11 PM till 7AM..... I already hated Carnaval, but...

This is how I woked up this morning... And yes, I cried... badly.
Foto1248.jpg

Foto1249.jpg

After putting it on it's wheels, damage didn't seem too bad. Needs a new door(doorhandle and mirror pushed dents in it), doors crunching when you open it so might be something with the hinges too. New front fender would be handy too, and rear quarter needs a lot of filler and a respray. I'm not insured for this kind of damage, only insured in a way that, when I hit someone else, I only pay my own damage... But there's a funding thing here for these kinds of damages, so I hope I can get some money off of that...
Foto1251.jpg

Foto1250.jpg

Foto1253.jpg

Still starts perfectly... Can't get anything from insurrance since only third party insured(don't have more money to spend on it per month)...

Got a new 2nd hand fender and door today, very cheap luckily... Both are slightly damaged(small parking dents etc.), but at least they're straight, door has some slight paint damage, nothing a spray can can't fix though. Have got a new window and mirror in already, but ofc I'll have to swap it over again to the new door.

It's sad... Just sad... to see it sitting like this after all my hard work...

Last edited:

Mythbuster

Oct 6, 2010
Made, The Netherlands
True that, written off wasn't it? Respect that you brought it back though!...

But it's still worse than not good... :( Used to be a rather clean car imho... I'll do my best to get it back as it was!...

Dec 18, 2010
Lincolnshire
****ing idiots.
If this ever happened to my car I would probably kill whoever did it if I ever found them.
Looked through your thread yesterday in school and thought it was a really nice tidy little car, especially for 350 Euros. A bargain for such a great car! (Seats are awesome).
Was good to see a thread which is small-scale like mine haha, although the lowering was really cool. I'm thinking about doing that myself at some point.
I hope that you can get it together again and that you will take some pictures once it's better again.

Mythbuster

Oct 6, 2010
Made, The Netherlands
I just turned down these 16 inch wheels from work because I want to keep it old school... They would've been ridiciously cheap, maybe even free if I was lucky... I would've wanted them if I had facelift bumpers...
Foto1331.jpg

Am I stupid now?

Oh, yeah I want to mount dark yellow foglights(useless, form over function)... Is that even possible using the switch I already have in the standard car?....

And I want spacers but those are expensive :p

I feel stupid for not getting them, then selling them on and maybe buying banded steelies :( Then again, getting them would mean no excuse for not getting one new tire on them.... And no excuse for not mounting them... so would've been useless anyway. Plus I would've had to raise my coilies a tiny bit to avoid scrubbing I think...

Last edited:

Mythbuster

Oct 6, 2010
Made, The Netherlands
But they're too new for my car! :( Or... I don't know. I'm in doubt :(

Think I'm gonna near-rat-look it anyway. ripped tow-rope on front, yellow foglights... I don't know...

Last edited:

Mythbuster

Oct 6, 2010
Made, The Netherlands
I don't know ... :( I think I would have to ditch my steelies... Plus it would cost me a sh*tload of money to pay for even one new tire on those... And one of them tires is shredded so I will need one.

And I need 2 new tires for my steelies aswell! I don't know. I think I'm staying with the steelies and go for a clean ratlook-ish thingy... I don't know :)

Yellow fogs, tow rope on the front, darker taillights... I think the ride I'm having with my coilovers is already quite harsh(cheap coilovers) so might be a good idea to stay with baloon tires :)

Mythbuster

Oct 6, 2010
Made, The Netherlands
Foto1348.jpg

To
Foto1353.jpg

OEM smoked taillights :) Kind of like them I think :)

Nope, I didn't get the wheels. Don't like them lol, just going to do the red edges on my steelies. Also looking for some foglights to paint yellow, but can't find any for a reasonable price :(

Mythbuster

Oct 6, 2010
Made, The Netherlands
Soon to do a chalkboard roof on it I think since I got a few days of holidays*Cough* retake exam week *cough* and my birthday is pretty soon so I can spend some money aswell... Can't be arsed to respray the roof with clear coat, probably would screw up the shinyness again like I did on the front fender before, it's already pretty hot outside so probably same would happen.

Also thinking of getting a respray on the rearquarter panel, but I have no idea if it's worth it, or if I shall just paint it myself(probably again screwing up the clear coat, like the fender). After all, it's only a 350 euro car and I won't earn my money back at all anyway, so might aswell bodge it a little bit and cut some corners. Gonna have to bodge it anyway because I'm not very good at bodywork I think, and the dents are in pretty hard to get places. Just wondering if I'm going to rip the bumpstrip off... Don't have replacement, don't know where to get any(don't think SEAT sells these exact ones, seem like something put on afterwards cause haven't seen them ever before), and there's no way I can get it back on after it's off... But it would be easier for bodywork and paintwork...

Door's paint damage turned out to be to the metal aswell, so have got some primer on that now to stop it from rusting(sanded it down first of course)

And might also be looking for banded steel wheels, however they seem pretty expensive and I already spend some money on new tires so would be a bit of a waste on that.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise