£5 Ipod connector Guide

Ok so you want a good quality ipod connector for your Ibiza, that isn't an FM tuner, and doesn't have wires dangling everywhere, but don't want to spend £50 & not be able to use your CD changer?

Read on for a guide which should only take 5 mins to do (not including steps 1&2 :lol::

Step 1: Go onto ebay and pick up an car cassette adaptor like this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=280152396173&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=018 (or from any other website/shop)

Step 2: Wait for it to arrive then slap it into your tape player.

Step 3: Remove the HU facia by removing the 2 screws underneath (almost parallel to the gear stick) remembering to unplug the cable bit while removing, and feed the jack through the tape slot.

Step 4: Remove the HU with the adaptor still in (you don't have to unplug all the cables behind it)

Photo-0012.jpg

Step 5: Look behind the HU and you will see a plastic bit with a hole in it. Beside this there is a gap down to the tray infront of your gear stick (you can see it clearly by shining a light into the tray part). Feed the jack through this and down into the tray.

Photo-0014.jpg

Photo-0015.jpg

Step 6: You can now tape the loose wire to the side of the HU (I used black electrical tape but anything will do)

Photo-0013.jpg

Step 7: Put the HU back into its original place, making sure the wire doesn't get caught on anything.

Photo-0016.jpg

Step 8: Put the facia back on (remembering the cable) and now you have a cheap ipod connector that looks neat, and only takes 5 minutes.
Photo-0017.jpg

You can even hide the adaptor because the tape door will stay shut with it still in.

Please move this if there is a better place for it.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2006
Walthamstow
done the same thing - but didnt go as far as pulling the head unit out - just made a very small gap for the wire to fit down -

you can also pull the front panel of the cassette down so doesnt expose the tape

done the same thing - but didnt go as far as pulling the head unit out - just made a very small gap for the wire to fit down -

you can also pull the front panel of the cassette down so doesnt expose the tape

Ibiza125 said:
You can even hide the adaptor because the tape door will stay shut with it still in.

I did have it like that but I poked at it and then it stayed up and I couldn't be bothered taking it off to take it down again for the picture. Do it some other time.

RichFred

I think you need a specific adapter to use the changer port, like the connects2 or xcarlink, the head unit can't see the any changer so doesn't work. I've got an xcarlink for my iphone, and despite the odd spacky moment it's generally cool. I've also got a connects2 adapter on my cd changer in the boot which i found when installing my sub & amp, must be to make the sony 10 disc changer i've used once work! The sound quality from both is ace though, well worth the money.

Dan1.6

1.6 Power FTW!!!!!!!!
Sep 26, 2008
Chesterfield
well i wanted this so i can link it to the laptop im getting and i just wunded if anyone else had a problem were it din't work i was wondering if it needed power to it like the cd changer does

RichFred

Nope it shouldn't need power, i doubt it will work at all tbh. Either get a tape adapter like above, and run an extension into the glovebox, or, get an xcarlink, they all have an aux input on them, as well as the main inputs, you could really splash out and get the bluetooth adapter for hands free phone calls too!

Dan1.6

1.6 Power FTW!!!!!!!!
Sep 26, 2008
Chesterfield
my tape player doesn't work :( i had one before and the tape player stopped working im going to have another play with it laters and try and find out why it doesnt work i was just thinking with it being highlited in this thread if anyone could help as im sick of my stupid fm transmitter lol

thejollywodger

Oct 10, 2008
my fm transmitter is awesome..perfect was quite expensive though :( only wires visable whilst in use as i don't like bending down to change tracks

those cassette things are a pound at poundland

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.