£65.50 PD tuning box

Barry

Red'n'Blue Army
Jun 4, 2003
Essex
www.rednbluearmy.com
Originally posted by orangesprout
JonTDi has same one on his car
Got it RR'd to see what max power is (no torque figure unfortunatley)

Std car is approx 130 bhp

Box on setting 5 (which is my everyday setting) 145bhp

Box setting 7 (max) approx 155bhp

Good results - does what it says on packet !!

I went with them because it was same person i got tuning box for
my Pug 306 and was a local to me company.

Advice - look for a box with has a MAF sensed connection - it varies fuel delivery to MAF sensor rather than full fuelling all the time.

My box doesn't smoke too much - just a little.
I think Diesel Tech ones don't use a MAF sensor.

Up to you to be honest - Black car would never show soot anyway.

I was looking at getting one of these.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2447282199&category=32094

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2448312150&category=32094

Not sure which one, so advice would be good.

Why are the PD boxes cheaper???

sssstew

Editing your spelling
yeah i looked at getting one of them.. been keeping my eye on them on ebay... but not sure about them.

im really not sure if they will be any different to a £280 td performance unit, maybe they are all the same.. who knows...

and PD boxes are as cheap as £35!! dunno why they are so much cheaper.

orangesprout

Cheeky !!
Apr 10, 2003
Dodge City, North East
Visit site
top right of picture looks like it could be the MAF sensoe wiring
it's a single wire you attach to highest pin number
(black wire)

Ok for money - luckily i did straight swap for my Pug 306 one so i didn't have to shell out cash twice.

Are they proven - whats the guarantee with them?

Barry

Red'n'Blue Army
Jun 4, 2003
Essex
www.rednbluearmy.com
I think that they are both the same product but badged differently.

One come with a 3 year warranty and one comes with a lifetime warranty (Well the life of the car anyway.)

The first one is tested to 100,000 miles and is made to TUV / "E" Guidelines (Not sure what ten are)

micky 32

Oct 30, 2003
Longford, Ireland
Visit site
i had use of a original tuning box on my pd130 golf, when i took it off i barely noticed any difference! but when i got revo, you could definately feel it pulling harder, also the box produced a lot of smoke and was harder on fuel than revo

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
I didn't think there could be much to them, if they only connect to a temp sensor and nothing else.

Hmm...:think:

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
...soon to be had for 10p at Maplins perhaps :D

Just need to find out what value resistor to use, then solder it inside the loom where it'll never be spotted....

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Originally posted by rust bucket
Sorry to put a spanner in the works but I think the cheap Ebay boxes are nothing more than a 180 Ohm resistor that fools the ECU into thinking the fuel temperature is hot and less dense and so inject more.

I have 14 in my companies surplus stock if anyone wants one.

Mark

mikejay

id go for the digital tunning box by dragon from www.mrhoot.com every time. people are always swayed towards the cheeper (analogue) but these are not a patch on the digital ones. these dont log falts. been discussing this over on briskoda and no one has ever had probs with them. power is better to. 289quid of the web site, i just got one off ebay for 200.

clive1975

can you get one for a 98 toledo tdi 110 hp,i already have a koch chip fitted though

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
If you've already got a chip, then you're probably running high fuelling already, adding any more will result in excessive smoke and not much else.
If the box is adjustable, you might get away with one of the low settings - would need some experimentation though.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise