1.2TSI 90hp Tuning potential

Jan 26, 2021
I have a 2016 Passat 2.0TDI as a daily driver with all the comfort and technology options I could want, but after trying my friend's 2016 Ibiza 1.0TSI (110hp, DSG) I really loved the Ibiza and how it drove. I am now researching the tuning potential of the 1.2TSI 90hp engine with the 5-speed manual transmission.

Does anyone have experience with tuning these cars? I am concerned about the strength of the transmission and clutch if I try to push some extra power. Also, can these engines easily handle something like 150hp or would that require extensive modification?

Also do OEM parts from higher models fit these cars? (i.e clutch, suspension, braking) as I believe using OEM parts can make more sense economically since I can find them off wrecked cars and what not.

Thanks in advance for all the tips

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Why not buy a 1.4 TSI? Thats built to have more power, think you can get a 1.4 tsi FR with 140bhp out of the box

Reactions: Mr Pig

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Yea, I had a 1.0 EcoTsi 110 Ibiza DSG, and that one was quite nippy (all who sat in it, thought it was a 1.6 or 1.8 engine). A stage 1 remap of that 1.2TSI could probalby get your 130-140bhp. Although if you can find one of those rare (in manual guise only) 1.4 EcoTsi Ibizas, those are plenty quick and economical!

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Why not aim for a 110PS 1.2TSI as that should have the 6 speed gearbox and 288mm front brakes - but do check that bit as I found that SEAT are cheap skates - when I went looking for a new car for my wife back in 2015, quite a few of the 110PS Ibizas I spotted on SEAT forecourts only had the 256mm front brakes, so headed off to VW to factory order a 1.2TSI 110PS SEL Polo for her.

I would not call the clutches and gearboxes of that generation of cars from any VW Group marque "durable" just built down to a price, I consider that the clutch+gearbox is the weak link in these cars.

Note changing 256mm front brakes to 288mm or 310/312mm involves changing the hub/swivel assemblies.

Jan 26, 2021
Yea, I had a 1.0 EcoTsi 110 Ibiza DSG, and that one was quite nippy (all who sat in it, thought it was a 1.6 or 1.8 engine). A stage 1 remap of that 1.2TSI could probalby get your 130-140bhp. Although if you can find one of those rare (in manual guise only) 1.4 EcoTsi Ibizas, those are plenty quick and economical!

Sorry I didn't clarify but my market only has 3 engine options for this platform (Ibiza, Polo, Fabia), which are 1.0ecoTSI 110hp with a DSG, 1.2TSI 105hp with a DSG, or the 1.2TSI 90hp with a 5-speed manual.

Jan 26, 2021
Why not aim for a 110PS 1.2TSI as that should have the 6 speed gearbox and 288mm front brakes - but do check that bit as I found that SEAT are cheap skates - when I went looking for a new car for my wife back in 2015, quite a few of the 110PS Ibizas I spotted on SEAT forecourts only had the 256mm front brakes, so headed off to VW to factory order a 1.2TSI 110PS SEL Polo for her.

I would not call the clutches and gearboxes of that generation of cars from any VW Group marque "durable" just built down to a price, I consider that the clutch+gearbox is the weak link in these cars.

Note changing 256mm front brakes to 288mm or 310/312mm involves changing the hub/swivel assemblies.

As I replied to the other comment just earlier, different engine options are not available in my market unless I go for the Cupra or GTI models which I only found with DSG's anyway and too expensive for me.

What I take from your comment is that they are not built to take extra power. Do you have any experience with handling modifications? maybe I keep stock power and just upgrade suspension, brakes, etc...

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Okay, I had not taken that into consideration!

I have not done anything at all to the suspension on that car as it seems okay for how we use it, though, if the lower wishbone/arm rear rubber mounting bushes ever tears or breaks up, I would replace them with the solid version that some Golfs get fitted with - the standard version is voided, also the gearbox upper mounting rubber can end up tearing and causing horrible shunting feelings at "power on/off" points, replacing that with the stiffer one normally fitted to the TDI engines sorts that out, and indeed VW fitted that part to my wife's 2015 Polo when I complained about the softer petrol engine version tearing or otherwise failing during warranty.

Edit:- maybe have a look at the Skoda forum, ie www.briskoda.net on the newest Fabia section, as someone on there has been trying to use a 1.4TSI turbo and additional map changes, so far no complaints about the clutch or 5 speed gearbox, although before mod'ng this car, the gearbox had failed and was rebuilt under warranty.

Jan 26, 2021
Okay, I had not taken that into consideration!

I have not done anything at all to the suspension on that car as it seems okay for how we use it, though, if the lower wishbone/arm rear rubber mounting bushes ever tears or breaks up, I would replace them with the solid version that some Golfs get fitted with - the standard version is voided, also the gearbox upper mounting rubber can end up tearing and causing horrible shunting feelings at "power on/off" points, replacing that with the stiffer one normally fitted to the TDI engines sorts that out, and indeed VW fitted that part to my wife's 2015 Polo when I complained about the softer petrol engine version tearing or otherwise failing during warranty.

Edit:- maybe have a look at the Skoda forum, ie www.briskoda.net on the newest Fabia section, as someone on there has been trying to use a 1.4TSI turbo and additional map changes, so far no complaints about the clutch or 5 speed gearbox, although before mod'ng this car, the gearbox had failed and was rebuilt under warranty.

Thank you for the tips.
My friend has experienced the bushing problems you mentioned but we never knew using Golf or TDI parts would be better.

Again thank you for the insight!

e_cupra

Apr 19, 2020
Limited knowledge on this but I have spoke to a friend of mine who had a 1.2tsi and did some extensive modifications.

After a lengthy conversation with him about what he did (as he no longer has it) I got a two key points from his experiences.

1) You’ll only get so far with mapping. He had gone through many tuning companies who threw on their maps and it was only when he got a custom tune that he felt they got the most out of the car and the modifications he had done.

2) One of the biggest upgrades and power increases was when he swapped the turbo for one from a 1.4tsi, it needed mapping to get it properly setup but he said it was substantial once setup right.

3) Power to weight ratio is the key, focus on reducing weight and stopping power as well as adding bhp. When he stripped the rear seats and uprated the brake system he felt he could be quicker with the car, and when he got a set of coilovers fitted this helped as well.

Overall he got 190bhp and 254nm of torque and it was surprisingly quick however the concern he had was about reliability. A stage 3 map can have quite a turn on an engine, even with regular maintenance. It was at this point he brought the power down and sold it eventually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 26, 2021
Limited knowledge on this but I have spoke to a friend of mine who had a 1.2tsi and did some extensive modifications.

After a lengthy conversation with him about what he did (as he no longer has it) I got a two key points from his experiences.

1) You’ll only get so far with mapping. He had gone through many tuning companies who threw on their maps and it was only when he got a custom tune that he felt they got the most out of the car and the modifications he had done.

2) One of the biggest upgrades and power increases was when he swapped the turbo for one from a 1.4tsi, it needed mapping to get it properly setup but he said it was substantial once setup right.

3) Power to weight ratio is the key, focus on reducing weight and stopping power as well as adding bhp. When he stripped the rear seats and uprated the brake system he felt he could be quicker with the car, and when he got a set of coilovers fitted this helped as well.

Overall he got 190bhp and 254nm of torque and it was surprisingly quick however the concern he had was about reliability. A stage 3 map can have quite a turn on an engine, even with regular maintenance. It was at this point he brought the power down and sold it eventually.

Thank you so much!
Sounds like your friend took it to the limit. I think I'll settle for some power lower than your friend's 190 bhp. Probably will take it slow with suspension, stage1 remap and some other easy mods and see how it goes from there.

Reactions: e_cupra

e_cupra

Apr 19, 2020
No probs mate, he certainly did and it was a good car to him, very reliable even when it was running the 190bhp, he had it running like that for 4-5 months before reducing the power. Very surprising for stock internals.

Definitely plenty you can do, depends what you’re after and how much you want to spend

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.