1.8 TSI FR remap advice

Watts06

May 28, 2020
UK
Hello, I’m looking into a stage 1 remap for my FR.
I’ve done some research online but not got any specific answers.
I’m not an expert on cars but I know remapping can lead to some issues! I got the 1.8 FR as I know it can take a bit more power when being tuned.
I’m on a tight budget so what would need to be changed/upgraded from stock for a stage 1 remap?
I don’t rag my car about and I barely put any miles on it, I just want that extra umf when I put my foot down now and then as I don’t feel like it’s very responsive or powerful at the moment.
Thank you in advance :)

silverbawz

Dec 3, 2017
inverclyde
I’m not an expert on cars but I know remapping can lead to some issues! I got the 1.8 FR as I know it can take a bit more power when being tuned.
I’m on a tight budget so what would need to be changed/upgraded from stock for a stage 1 remap?
I don’t rag my car about and I barely put any miles on it, I just want that extra umf when I put my foot down now and then as I don’t feel like it’s very responsive or powerful at the moment.
Hi
i have the same car i went from fr 1.4 tsi 150 and very happy with the power of this car mid range is night and day from the previous car
Do you think its slow

LoGiC_91

Mar 6, 2021
Sweden
Hiya Watts,

A stage 1 tune is a "soft" tune where the ECU is remapped but the power/torque gain is not so substantial that any components need to be changed. How much you gain depends on the potential of the engine. Whatever you do, get it done from a legit place, and preferably someone who specializes in VAG cars. I myself have had a Stage 1 remap for 2 years now without ever encountering any problems. It's awesome!

Reactions: Watts06

adam davies

Dec 30, 2019
Ive got 1.8tsi manual. Owned for a year and half.
I have had mine remapped by apr stock it run 190hp after tune 253hp and 376nm.
Car is amazing now, prior to the map it was pretty slugish.
Map has been on almost a year great fun. Any questions just ask

Attachments

• 20200703_154316.jpg
    20200703_154316.jpg
    724.7 KB · Views: 412

LoGiC_91

Mar 6, 2021
Sweden
APR is legit, defo go for that @Watts06

Watts06

May 28, 2020
UK
Hi
i have the same car i went from fr 1.4 tsi 150 and very happy with the power of this car mid range is night and day from the previous car
Do you think its slow
Nice! I went from a Leon 1.2 tsi so my jump was drastic! But my fiancée has a Mini Cooper S sport and the throttle response and acceleration is nuts! And I guess I’m just used to driving that now🤣

I feel like the response when I put my foot down in the Leon just isn’t as snappy as I want it to be, so I think a remap would be my first upgrade and I think I’ll be happier with it, don’t get me wrong I love the car, I’m just being picky haha

Reactions: silverbawz

adam davies

Dec 30, 2019
Nice! I went from a Leon 1.2 tsi so my jump was drastic! But my fiancée has a Mini Cooper S sport and the throttle response and acceleration is nuts! And I guess I’m just used to driving that now🤣

I feel like the response when I put my foot down in the Leon just isn’t as snappy as I want it to be, so I think a remap would be my first upgrade and I think I’ll be happier with it, don’t get me wrong I love the car, I’m just being picky haha
The car comes to life with a remap it is really rapid and breaks traction a lot lol🤣.
I coded the traction control options also so i can select esc off instead of sport esc because the traction control interfeers all the time.
With car scanner pro app on play store you can do long coding and adaptations on all mwb cars.

mike000

mk3 1.8 tsi
Jul 21, 2008
Birmingham
Im also running a 1.8tsi manual and am right on the fence about remapping. I had a mk2 leon cupra before which was 240bhp and felt it boosted hard when i put my foot on it. I never once felt i needed more power from it. Cant say the same for the 1.8 tsi tho. Feels really underwhelming to me. Dont get me wrong i can get it to move but it never puts me in my seat or scares the mrs like the cupra did. I keep finding posts saying the clutch wont hold up long on the 1.8tsi which is putting me off. If someone could clear this up for me it would be great. Roughly how much torque will the manual clutch take? Im after 250bhp, would the apr map guarantee them sort of figures and would my clutch just slip? I just cant find a definite answer from the forum as most posts are with dsg maps with limited torque settings.

Watts06

May 28, 2020
UK
Im also running a 1.8tsi manual and am right on the fence about remapping. I had a mk2 leon cupra before which was 240bhp and felt it boosted hard when i put my foot on it. I never once felt i needed more power from it. Cant say the same for the 1.8 tsi tho. Feels really underwhelming to me. Dont get me wrong i can get it to move but it never puts me in my seat or scares the mrs like the cupra did. I keep finding posts saying the clutch wont hold up long on the 1.8tsi which is putting me off. If someone could clear this up for me it would be great. Roughly how much torque will the manual clutch take? Im after 250bhp, would the apr map guarantee them sort of figures and would my clutch just slip? I just cant find a definite answer from the forum as most posts are with dsg maps with limited torque settings.
Yeah I’m having the same issues with the car and research...
The manuals never seem to have any informative videos/opinions online for some reason!
I love my car but it needs that bit extra! My mrs has a faster car than me, can’t be having that😆

mike000

mk3 1.8 tsi
Jul 21, 2008
Birmingham
Really want this done soon. Was looking at a revo induction kit,turbo muffler delete and the stage one map from revo also but dont want to start have clutch problems when the car has been super good to me over the past year. Im defo going to do it eventually but lack of info on the manual is making my decision hard.

mike000

mk3 1.8 tsi
Jul 21, 2008
Birmingham
Yeah I’m having the same issues with the car and research...
The manuals never seem to have any informative videos/opinions online for some reason!
I love my car but it needs that bit extra! My mrs has a faster car than me, can’t be having that😆
Guess im gonna have to have a chat with apr. See what they say. But was originally going to go all revo. I dont know what to doo. Lol

adam davies

Dec 30, 2019
Really want this done soon. Was looking at a revo induction kit,turbo muffler delete and the stage one map from revo also but dont want to start have clutch problems when the car has been super good to me over the past year. Im defo going to do it eventually but lack of info on the manual is making my decision hard.
The clutch was my concern also. Mine is manual and the map is a low boost map to preserve the clutch. Rts have just release an uprated clutch for our 1.8tsi twin plate dual friction clutch. I have had no problems thus far though

Reactions: Watts06 and mike000

Watts06

May 28, 2020
UK
Do you have a link as to where I can get it done? I’ve tried googling it but no luck, I live in the UK, Birmingham/Worcester area
How much did they charge you for the APR remap?

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
for information on clutches:
1.8 TSI clutch is 228mm LUK 06K141015F (pre 2014 was 06K141015) this is the same diameter as the 1.4TSI clutch but it has different part numbers so presume stronger clamping.
2.0 TSI cupra clutch is 240mm SACHS 06K141015C
2.0 TDI 184 clutch is 240mm LUK 03L141018

Nov 20, 2021
190 is a bit more then stock was wondering what figures would I realistically get on a dsg

mike000

mk3 1.8 tsi
Jul 21, 2008
Birmingham
After many months of back and forward ive bit the bullet and just purchased my apr stage 1 and brought an APR PEX induction kit in the black fridy sale. WHoooosh.

adam davies

Dec 30, 2019
After many months of back and forward ive bit the bullet and just purchased my apr stage 1 and brought an APR PEX induction kit in the black fridy sale. WHoooosh.
Enjoy my friend. Please post your initial response.
I was shocked with 3rd gear when i had mine done.

adam davies

Dec 30, 2019
Are you having it mapped on 99 fuel if so i advise the low boost map which i had.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.