1.8t starting problems fixed! NOw another problem!

Deleted member 39269

Right folks here's something to get you thinking! :p

Tonight when just about to go out i went to start the car and it took a couple of turns before it fired. When it started it had a lumpy idle for a few seconds which then cleared and it ran fine

Set of to my work and the car drove like normal. Switched the car of at my work and went to start it again and it wont fire

Pluged in and it came up with

-Camshaft sensor fault
-Bank 1 lambda sensor fault
-Coolant sensor fault

So i've change the camshaft sensor still no luck
Checked plugs and there were wet from fuel so thats all ok it seems.
Removed number 1 coil and put a plug in and lent it against the rocker cover and i got a spark

Any ideas folks? I dont no what to try next?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 39269

It had a camshaft error code when it was mapped so that was the first thing i tried

The belt seems tight no obvious signs of torn belt lying in the cover or anything

motty_90

Jul 28, 2009
Ashby De La Zouch
mine was coming up with camshaft sensor out of sequence and camshaft sensor out of performance when my cambelt slipped 7 teeth. still ran ok, just was hard to start. so its possible your cambelt has slipped. other thing disconect your maf

Adamricko

MK3 1.4.cool/s
Jun 23, 2009
Manchester
Right folks here's something to get you thinking! :p

Tonight when just about to go out i went to start the car and it took a couple of turns before it fired. When it started it had a lumpy idle for a few seconds which then cleared and it ran fine

Set of to my work and the car drove like normal. Switched the car of at my work and went to start it again and it wont fire

Pluged in and it came up with

-Camshaft sensor fault
-Bank 1 lambda sensor fault
-Coolant sensor fault

So i've change the camshaft sensor still no luck
Checked plugs and there were wet from fuel so thats all ok it seems.
Removed number 1 coil and put a plug in and lent it against the rocker cover and i got a spark

Any ideas folks? I dont no what to try next?

Thanks in advance

The coolant sensor on my 1.4 was gone and making the auto choke stay on, which caused it to over fuel and not start up first time (only after short journeys i noticed). No idea if it can cause similar issues with the cupra but got one of fleabay for £13 and with a bit of coolant changed it myself. (again presuming its similar)

Ricko

Deleted member 39269

mine was coming up with camshaft sensor out of sequence and camshaft sensor out of performance when my cambelt slipped 7 teeth. still ran ok, just was hard to start. so its possible your cambelt has slipped. other thing disconect your maf

i don't think its my cambelt as it ran just as normal before i switched it off

Deleted member 39269

The coolant sensor on my 1.4 was gone and making the auto choke stay on, which caused it to over fuel and not start up first time (only after short journeys i noticed). No idea if it can cause similar issues with the cupra but got one of fleabay for £13 and with a bit of coolant changed it myself. (again presuming its similar)

Ricko

yeah i think this problem. Am going to try a new one today and see if i have any luck

Deleted member 39269

I no whats wrong now. Coolant temp sensor. THe car fires up and runs straight away when cold but if its hot it won't so i'll get on ordered tomorow

Thanks for the help guys

Last edited by a moderator:

motty_90

Jul 28, 2009
Ashby De La Zouch
i don't think its my cambelt as it ran just as normal before i switched it off

mine was fine the day before, went to start it in the morning and it kept turning over and then finaly started up, missed a bit for a few seconds then ran fine, every so often it would bang very loud whilst turning over

Deleted member 39269

bust lambda causes over fueling i know that much.

Well i think because the coolant sensor isn't working correctly it's over fueling because it thinks the engine is cold

So this would through up a lambda fault because it will be running on a cold setting when the engine is warm

Deleted member 39269

mine was fine the day before, went to start it in the morning and it kept turning over and then finaly started up, missed a bit for a few seconds then ran fine, every so often it would bang very loud whilst turning over

Well it fired up straight away today because it was cold... But when it warmed up and you went to start it again it would just turn over

I think because the sensor isn't working it's using the automatic choke and put to much fuel into the cylinders and flooding them

Deleted member 39269

Right got the car going yesterday with the new sensor fitted all good!

But then on the way home the car started running poorly! Plugged into it and no fault codes apart from the camshaft position sensor fault

The car idles fine but when u foot your foot down it splutters and hesitates like mad and if you hold your foot down sometimes it runs fine and pulls really well

So far i've changed plugs, disconnected the maf, checked coil wiring and earths, fuel filter changed and also replaced the 'O' rings on the FPR

I really don't what to do next?

Deleted member 39269

I have change 2 for new ones already and swapped them about and still no luck? Tried holding a rev whilst unplugging them bit you cant tell the difference