1.9PD timing belt replacement (DIY style)

ktreadwell

Have had my alhambra (02) for over 3 years now and its covered 71k miles. Looking to tackle timing belt replacement - lack of a shalhabra Haynes manual doesn't help.

K

Last edited by a moderator:

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
VW Sharan, Seat Alhambra, Ford Galaxy, all built from the same mould.

Only thing is the Haynes manual says "Does NOT cover 2.8 litre V6 petrol engine. Turbo-Diesel: 1.9 litre (1896cc)"

idmorris

For a maintenance manual for Alhambra 2001-2006 1.9tdi & 2.8 VR6 engines try this:

Peter Russek Manuals Pocket Mechanic Vehicle Manual

ISBN 1-898780-37-4

Its just as good/vague as Haynes it doesnt have pictures but does have drawings that are 'readable' (available from thier website @£15.00)

btw it does give a deescrption of timing belt removal/install for a 1.9tdi.

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
So, if you ever wonder how many miles you could get out of a belt, 76k is a reasonable guess!

Dont anybody try this though.

The belt replacement procedure is covered on here and ukmkivs on several different pd engines but they are all basiclly the same (the alhambra is the easiest to do and has the least parts to remove).

The replacement interval was origionally 40k but then upped to 60k.

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
VW Sharan, Seat Alhambra, Ford Galaxy, all built from the same mould.

Only thing is the Haynes manual says "Does NOT cover 2.8 litre V6 petrol engine. Turbo-Diesel: 1.9 litre (1896cc)"

Pretty sure that actually reads

Petrol ; 2.0 2.3 Does not cover 2.8 V6
Diesel ; 1.9 litre

Think it means it covers petrol models but not the V6 and in diesel engines it covers the 1.9

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs

The belt replacement procedure is covered on here and ukmkivs on several different pd engines but they are all basiclly the same (the alhambra is the easiest to do and has the least parts to remove).

I've only seen a dozen or so cambelt failures on PDs that have actually been caused by a worn belt and oddly enough most of them were Alhambras and Sharans so I know I wouldnt risk it.

Nothing beats the Sharan I saw that the DMF collapsed, locked in the bell housing solid at 80mph on the motorway, ripped the engine off its mountings and stuffed the cam cover through the back of the rad, what a mess.

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
I dont think i've ever seen a diesel belt failure at our place, though we did have 4 20vts blow in the space of 6 months, probably because the owners were lead to believe it they could clock up over 100k before it needed replacing.

Had a chap with a mk3 toledo who wouldnt listen to our advice (i.e dont drive your car) and drove it to germany when his DMF was on its last legs. Needless to say a recovery bill from Dover to Manchester wasnt cheap and niether was his gearbox casing replacement (it had chopped all the way through the bell housing)

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
I saw a fair few on the 115PD MK4 Golf and Passat but to be fair that was the tensioner stud which later became a recall.

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
The 115 pd tdi had a tensioner damper on them like the 20vts didnt they? as oppose to the fixed self adjustable ones (the reliable ones).

ktreadwell

In fact, I have only covered 71k!! definitely would not recommend playing Russian roulette with your timing belt!

now for the pics . . .

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
The 115 pd tdi had a tensioner damper on them like the 20vts didnt they? as oppose to the fixed self adjustable ones (the reliable ones).

Some of the earlier 100PDs had them also, you had to get a 5mm gap inbetween the body of the tensioner and the damper, bit of an odd way of doing things, latter tensioner much better.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members