110tdi Wheel Bearing/Wheels Issue

mpgscott

Nov 11, 2009
Inverness/Aberdeen
Hi All,

Well i have recently fitted a set of cupra 17" alloys fitted with fairly well worn goodyear rubber. Now the car was giving what feels and sounds like a worn wheel bearing sound, so for starters i swapped the front and rear tyres around adhering to the direction indicators. Anyway still this rubble at 30mph and at around 55mph. There is no shake or judder through the steering it feels fine. So tonight i reverted back to the original 15" tyres that came with the SX and the noise is greatly reduced, to the point that it is barely audible but its still a slight rumble at the same speeds.

Now my question is it likely due to the fact that the cupra alloys have lower profile rubber that is highlighting the noise more prominently? Or do you think there is some issue with the alloys?? The alloys have no marks and have never been kerbed so i am confused as to what the issue is? The standard 15" alloys are fitted with cheap 195/55/15 tyres and the 17" alloys are 225/45/17 Goodyear NCT tyres.

I have read in other posts that the cupra's can run with adverse cambers on the rears so i am wandering if this is what has happened to the tyres on the 17" cupra alloys that i have purchased. As I cant see any damage to the tyres or the alloys.

So any ideas what could be wrong??

1) Could it be the start of a front wheel bearing?

2) Tyres are run off on the 17" alloys

3) Wheel balancing?

Thanks for your opinions.

Mark

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
If the noise is still there when you chance these out it cannot just be the alloys.
Try weaving on a wide abandoned road with car out of gear to see if you can hear the noise more when your weaving in a specific direction

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members