17 inch alloys to 18 inch

Jun 18, 2023
I have 17 inch alloys on my seat leon FR 2.0 TDI. I want the better 18 inch ones. If i bought the 18inch alloys of ebay with the tires are they fine to go on or are there other things i need to consider?

Attachments

• IMG_7169.png
    IMG_7169.png
    484.8 KB · Views: 122

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
I have 17 inch alloys on my seat leon FR 2.0 TDI. I want the better 18 inch ones. If i bought the 18inch alloys of ebay with the tires are they fine to go on or are there other things i need to consider?
Replacing with genuine Seat 18" wheels and tyres of the correct size for the Leon will just bolt on.
If aftermarket wheels - you need to do more checking.

Reactions: Adn4n and Wilto

Glosphil

Nov 10, 2004
Gloucestershire
The better 18" ones?

Why do you think the 18" alloys are better? Look better?

When I was searching for a 2018 FR in 2019 I tried to find one with the standard 17" wheels, but all had the optional 18s.

I prefer my car when on its winter 17s. Much easy to keep clean and better ride. Can't sense any difference in steering feel, handling or road holding.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I agree completely, but you and me have cars with the bigger option sized wheels and have chosen to do the smart thing for winter use, I wonder if both of us would have considered "going upp a size" if we were in the position of the OP.

My wife's previous car a 2002 VW Polo SE 1.4 16V 75PS, came with 15" alloys from factory, the change in general comfort when changing to the 14" alloys in winter was quite dramatic, with her current car, a 2015 VW Polo SEL 1.2TSI 110PS, changing from its 16" alloys to 15" alloys in winter is not so obvious.
My 2011 Audi S4 came with the 19" alloy option when new, there is not much of a change changing to the 18" winter wheels - okay for both these newer cars, maybe some of the influencers are the tyres, in the case of the 2002 VW Polo, by the time I bought a set of winter wheels, both the summer and winter tyres were Michelins - Exalto in summer and Alpins in winter. For the newer VW Polo it is a change from Conti in summer to Michelin Alpins in winter, the S4 has P Zero Rosso in summer and Michelin Alpin Pilots(?) in winter.
Wife's car goes from easy clean 5 spokes in summer to not so easy to clean 7 spokes in winter, my S4 goes from terrible to clean 7 double spoke in summer to easy to clean 5 spoke in winter - sometimes you have to buy what is available!

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
It's stating the obvious I know, but you should check your insurance company are OK with it.

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
It's stating the obvious I know, but you should check your insurance company are OK with it.
Agree.

But generally - as long as you are using OEM alloys and tyre sizes ( as offered for that model of car ) - insurance are ok with it.

Some of the Cupra guys have dropped from 19 to 18.
Because the 18 is listed as a winter wheel / tyre size - the insurance seem ok with it.

Reactions: Seriously?
Jun 18, 2023
The better 18" ones?

Why do you think the 18" alloys are better? Look better?

When I was searching for a 2018 FR in 2019 I tried to find one with the standard 17" wheels, but all had the optional 18s.

I prefer my car when on its winter 17s. Much easy to keep clean and better ride. Can't sense any difference in steering feel, handling or road holding.
Im thinking i leave them at 17 inch but get some custom alloys

Jun 18, 2023
Agree.

But generally - as long as you are using OEM alloys and tyre sizes ( as offered for that model of car ) - insurance are ok with it.

Some of the Cupra guys have dropped from 19 to 18.
Because the 18 is listed as a winter wheel / tyre size - the insurance seem ok with it.
As my alloys are 17 inch stock dyu reckon it would just be better to buy 17 inch custom alloys rather than 18 inch FR alloys?

Jun 18, 2023
Replacing with genuine Seat 18" wheels and tyres of the correct size for the Leon will just bolt on.
If i change to 18 inch alloys thoe i will have to get tires with a smaller wall to keep height of car the same

Jun 18, 2023
So my leon has 17 inch alloys. But if i want 18 inch i can just put the 18 inch and theyll bolt in? Im sure if i was to do that id need a tire with a lower profile as stock alloys are 17 inch

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
So my leon has 17 inch alloys. But if i want 18 inch i can just put the 18 inch and theyll bolt in? Im sure if i was to do that id need a tire with a lower profile as stock alloys are 17 inch
Yes, you’ll need tyres with a lower profile than your existing tyres to ensure the overall rolling radius of an 18” alloy plus tyre is the same as your existing wheel / tyre set up.

The tyre size that Seat fits to 18” alloys for the mk3 and mk3.5 Leon is 225/40 R18.

Reactions: Adn4n

Glosphil

Nov 10, 2004
Gloucestershire
Im thinking i leave them at 17 inch but get some custom alloys
As a couple of us have already said changing from the standard 17" (225/45-17) to 18" (225/40-18) seems to us to make the car worse.

Some opinions are it improves the look of the car but it firms up the ride even more & has little effect on handling, road holding & steering feel. Just choosing different 17" tyres can have far more effect.

Reactions: Adn4n

andylong

Jan 21, 2021
The trouble with losing sidewall height is the harshness you get in a straight line.
Going to 18 on those tyre combinations will lose you over 10% of the sidewall, with the as noted above this post, increased ride harshness.

Jun 18, 2023
Yes, you’ll need tyres with a lower profile than your existing tyres to ensure the overall rolling radius of an 18” alloy plus tyre is the same as your existing wheel / tyre set up.

The tyre size that Seat fits to 18” alloys for the mk3 and mk3.5 Leon is 225/40 R18.
Might aswell stick to 17 in that case

Jun 18, 2023
As a couple of us have already said changing from the standard 17" (225/45-17) to 18" (225/40-18) seems to us to make the car worse.

Some opinions are it improves the look of the car but it firms up the ride even more & has little effect on handling, road holding & steering feel. Just choosing different 17" tyres can have far more effect.
Will do that instead rather than getting 18. Thanks 😊

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.