17" Wheels and how many threads left on Weitec coilies?

May 6, 2009
Northallerton, N yorks
Hi there,

did some searching but couldnt find any pictures. Basically ill be fitting my weitec coilovers soon and wanna get the threads taped up as much as possible before i fit them to combat corrosion. Was just wondering if anyone knew how many threads from the bottom their spring platforms are wound up, whilst been pretty much as low as possible on 17" wheels (i have the standard fr ones on)

Even rough pictures would be helpful then i can get them taped up and leave a small amount of adjustment bare and just copper greas that up like mad.

Cheers in advance,

Scott.

Altech

Ibiza PD170
Oct 3, 2007
London
Aren't all Weitecs galvanised anyway? A good coat of copper grease should do the job, I've never found the need for tape etc.

May 6, 2009
Northallerton, N yorks
Why don't you just fit them, lower your car to the desired height and then jack it up, tape them with the full lock on the steering ;)

it was mainly just to make sure i got all the threads covered, there will still be some above the platform but good idea, should do the trick!

or buy coilovers that don't corrode ;)

id rather keep my 300 quid change from buying weitecs rather than the kw v1's cheers

Aren't all Weitecs galvanised anyway? A good coat of copper grease should do the job, I've never found the need for tape etc.

Yeh they are but im fussy, like things to look good, but yeh your right copper grease will be gettin whacked on all over!

Last of all any tips, going to be fitting tomorrow afternoon, got access to a car ramp/ all the tools you could shake a stick at so should be alright, only thing is ill be on my own :(

http://www.seat-ibiza-mk4.co.uk/ibiza_front_shock_absorber_change.htm

reading that though the front right sounds abit bad, when we fitted the springs to mine we managed but is there any other easier ways?

Altech

Ibiza PD170
Oct 3, 2007
London
I found the o/s front easier than the n/s front for some reason. I compress the springs slightly which helped.

It helps to have the correct hub spreading tool. I couldn't get one in time so I bashed a socket head into an oval and it did the job.

I found this thread useful when I fitted my coilovers (I didn't remove my track rod ends as It causes more trouble putting them back, than it helps getting the strut in and out)

http://www.fabia-vrs.com/technical-info/eibach-25mm-suspension-fit/

May 6, 2009
Northallerton, N yorks
thanks allot, pure legend! My mate works for VW so he said he would lend me that hub spreading socket, just given him a txt now so fingers crossed i can get it. Is it as simple as just putting it in the gap, turn 90 degrees then you can get the strut out then? Pretty sure ill have some spring compressors available to use, ill compress them slightly whilst they are still on like you said.

Rears look simple enough? Shall i just go straight ahead and not bother with the adjuster and just rest the spring on the cup you bolt in? Seems quite a few do this as the rears dont go too low?

Altech

Ibiza PD170
Oct 3, 2007
London
thanks allot, pure legend! My mate works for VW so he said he would lend me that hub spreading socket, just given him a txt now so fingers crossed i can get it. Is it as simple as just putting it in the gap, turn 90 degrees then you can get the strut out then? Pretty sure ill have some spring compressors available to use, ill compress them slightly whilst they are still on like you said.

Rears look simple enough? Shall i just go straight ahead and not bother with the adjuster and just rest the spring on the cup you bolt in? Seems quite a few do this as the rears dont go too low?

Yep...insert the hub spreader...turn 90 degrees...give the hub a good whack and it should slide down. Some WD40 will help it along.

Rears are a piece of cake. Only problem you might have is removing the two bolts at the top of each strut. Mine were seized on and I had to gun them off...you may need to trim the arch lining slightly to get a socket head on the bolts.

I have my adjuster cups in as my kit lowers more than most kits. I think that Ibizas with Weitec/APs look fine with the adjusters in. It's up to you if you want to run your car really low :) Only takes 20mins to remove them.

May 6, 2009
Northallerton, N yorks
Took me 3 and half hours on my own to fit the whole kit, didnt think it was too bad going really! Didnt really run into any problems as such either so all is good. Only driven a few miles on them and first couple of minutes it made a couple of settling in noises and all seems well (touch wood)

Cheers for the help altech, them links and your tips came in handy:) i just ended up going for no adjuster cups and just the bits that bolt in. Had a guess at the front ride height and set it to 13 threads from the bottom of the shock, id say i got it about spot on, will let it settle this week, then re-adjust if needed, then get it tracked up next week on my week off

Lew89

Jun 17, 2011
Oxford
Took me 3 and half hours on my own to fit the whole kit, didnt think it was too bad going really! Didnt really run into any problems as such either so all is good. Only driven a few miles on them and first couple of minutes it made a couple of settling in noises and all seems well (touch wood)

Cheers for the help altech, them links and your tips came in handy:) i just ended up going for no adjuster cups and just the bits that bolt in. Had a guess at the front ride height and set it to 13 threads from the bottom of the shock, id say i got it about spot on, will let it settle this week, then re-adjust if needed, then get it tracked up next week on my week off

Hey mate, did you keep them set to 13 threads or end up raising ? Ta

May 6, 2009
Northallerton, N yorks
Haha I'm still here :p I ended up doing them down to 10 threads on my first set of bbs wheels, back up a thread on the Porsche wheels and left them there for the other bbs wheels after them.

Got the same coilies on the Cupra and set at 13 threads with my compomotives

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.