180 - 225? Is there a significant difference?

adispoon

Hi, I am about to buy a Cupra and wondered if there was a notable difference in performance between the 180 and 225.

I am not a boy racer yet want a car that can overtake all the carrot crunchers driving their tractors and the hairy assed truckers who block up my route to work on the A roads every morning.

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
Although a 180 is a very capable machine the 210 and 225 variants are not only faster come with better kit. Depends on what you want and the bank balance.

adispoon

Cheers for update

Basically a comfy car that can overtake in tight roads.

A nice stereo is more important to me than a loud exhaust.
(hope everyone doesn't linch me for this quote)

Wolvotim

Oct 3, 2009
Shifnal, Shropshire
i live in a carrot cruncher hot spot and my cupra does just fine seeing off most john deere or massey ferguson drivers. so unless you really want the extra 180 is more than enough

AntneeUK

2 Wheels 2 Many
Mar 8, 2009
Nottinghamshire
I think that's reasonable. I had a £5k budget for an LC and then found an LCR210 for £4,700 so I had that :D

Never driven an LC, but the LCR is an outstanding car IMHO. The handling could be a little better, but that can be fixed. The power is brilliant, it's comfy (especially with the Recaro option) and it really shifts. I love that I can overtake very quickly even on steep hills.

Personally I'd say that if you can afford an LCR, just get one. You'd be very unlucky if you're disappointed. The only warning: They're NOT cheap to run. I rarely see over 30mpg anywhere... :(

adispoon

180 may be enough

Thanks, I guess the 180 will be enough, the only problem is Ive reached the mid life crisis and loking for something to make me feel younger so it is still either way which one to get at moment

adispoon

oh to be 31 again - lol
I am going to buy one for sure, was also thinking about a Honda Civic type R until I saw someone around the same age as me with a beer gut touching steering wheel and thought what a tit he looked then realised that could be me.

Bobby.Gee

Leon Cupra R 210
Jan 2, 2010
Buy an LCR mate, for not much more cash you get the better option.

Would be silly not too iMO

adispoon

Since researching I am amzed at the different versions of Cupra, thought there was just the Cupra R 180 and 225 yet now realise several more versions, now confused which one to buy. HELLLLPPPP!!!

lukecupra2001

Smoogie And Proud
Jul 25, 2005
middlesbrough
whats your budget?how any miles will you be doing?if doing loads of miles have a look at the cupra/fr diesels.
Plenty of torque for flying past the tractors and combine harvesters

adispoon

Cheers for that, that means cars for sale on ebay and autotrader are false advertising as several say Leon type R 180.
Thanks for the warning

adispoon

Lukecupra2001
I only do about 3000 miles a year in the car and rest on my motorbike so MPG not an issue.

I am looking around 6k or 7k.5k with trade in on my current car

AntneeUK

2 Wheels 2 Many
Mar 8, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Ha ha, yeah, if they say "Leon Type R" then they're false anyway :D It's just a "Leon Cupra R" and they're definitely only available in 210 and 225 varieties. You will see some refer to the Cupra as a "Cupra T" however

lukecupra2001

Smoogie And Proud
Jul 25, 2005
middlesbrough
have a look on pistonhead and Seat website, was some on there last time i checked about 8-9k mark.Mite even be even some on here in the for sale section havent looked for awile.

Mr OCD

May 1, 2008
Manchester, UK
In all honesty I prefer the non 'R' version of the Cupra simply because they are a bit less 'boy racer' but then I think I do prefer the pre-facelift to the post-facelift versions simply down the 'sleeper' ability of them so its just my preference but then I'm nearly 34yrs old ... ;)

The 180 is a great car in its own right and a basic remap will take it up to 'R' power anyway so it comes down to what you want.

I've done plenty of track work and ride a motorbike daily and I've never felt the chassis / brakes or engine are lacking on my LC 180 ... mind you its not stopped me tinkering :whistle:

IMHO all the Cupra's are excellent in standard form and I dont think you'd be dissapointed with any version. I certainly dont regret buying a standard Cupra over an 'R' version and have become somewhat attached to it which I simply didnt expect coming from a RWD 300bhp car :lol::lol::lol:

lukecupra2001

Smoogie And Proud
Jul 25, 2005
middlesbrough
ive had my pre facelift LC over 4 and a half years and its never put a foot wrong.
best car ive ever owned, wicked sleeper can be a hooligan one minute and then blend in with the basic diesels and the 1.4s!:lol:

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.