180 - 225? Is there a significant difference?

CUPRAMUNKY

Just brought a Cupra Plenty quick enough for me and can't see a john deere passing it unless it's in the hedge!!!

Dec 31, 2007
Reading
There's another thread open in the mk1 section regarding the different models at the moment - it might be worth having a quick look, Andy has done a good note on the differences.

lee_woollett

Jan 19, 2009
northampton
I've had my 2001 Cupra 180 for just about a year, nothing major gone wrong and it's fastly approaching 100k miles and it passed it's last MOT with flying colours. All i've had to do is change a MAF sensor and a coil pack has just gone too but cheap to fix. If i drive carefully i can get over 30 MPG which isn't bad. Also loving the noise since changing to open filter + 007 re-circ valve.

Jerry*

Aug 12, 2009
Leeds
Where are you based? I'm sure someone could arrange a test drive for you to demonstrate the Cupra experience.

Yep they launched the original Cupra in 2000 on an X-plate. Mostly they do look sleeperish with subtle bodykit, twin exhaust pipe and multi spoke alloys. It also had a 15mm lower ride height and rear anti-roll bar over and above the standard car. They came with 178bhp and 173lb/ft of torque as standard and the performance figures were quoted at 0-60mph in 7.7 seconds and 142mph flat out, making it a pretty potent car.

In late 2002 the model was facelifted with a different (much more attractive IMO) bodykit and new 17in wheels. AFAIK the changes were just cosmetic and the car was pretty much the same underneath.

Around the same time Seat launched the Cupra R model with the engine from the Audi S3 of the time. It had a larger turbo, twin intercoolers and kicked out 210bhp and 199lb/ft. The car had a different, more aggressive bodykit and 18in alloys, uprated suspension and interior, and also a larger oval tailpipe. Performance figs were claimed to by 0-60 in 7.2 secs and 147mph flat out.

In late 2003 the engine was uprated to the Audi TT225 (and then S3) spec 222bhp engine with 206lb/ft of torque. Other changes to the car were red Cupra badges instead of black ones (woo hoo!). Performance was claimed to be boosted to 0-60 in 6.9secs and 150 top, but many claim that there is nothing in it between a 210 and a 225.

I've seen plenty of adverts on the net for Cupras being sold as Cupra R's and Cupra's claiming to be standard yet having 225bhp etc. The above should help you tell the difference hopefully :D

Like many have said though, get the car that suits your budget, but either way, if you do get bored of it and/or the tractors in your area suddenly get a lot faster then an ECU remap will unleash plenty more power and performance!

J:)

AntneeUK

2 Wheels 2 Many
Mar 8, 2009
Nottinghamshire
As daft as it may sound, the reason I picked a 210 over a 225 was because the Recaro option was front and rear in the 210 and only the front in the 225. Saved finding a replacement later :D If anyone is looking for an LCR I can highly recommend the Recaro seats

Jun 26, 2008
Just round the corner.
I bought my facelift Cupra 18 months ago, and she'e been the best motor I've owned.
I've had her remapped so it's got more BHP and torque.
The Cupra will ride better, because of the softer suspension. On the flip side if you give it the beans they wallow too much (or mine just needs new springs and dampners).

They really are a cracking motor, but if you can find afford it and find a good one get the LCR.

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
Where are you based? I'm sure someone could arrange a test drive for you to demonstrate the Cupra experience.

Yep they launched the original Cupra in 2000 on an X-plate. Mostly they do look sleeperish with subtle bodykit, twin exhaust pipe and multi spoke alloys. It also had a 15mm lower ride height and rear anti-roll bar over and above the standard car. They came with 178bhp and 173lb/ft of torque as standard and the performance figures were quoted at 0-60mph in 7.7 seconds and 142mph flat out, making it a pretty potent car.

In late 2002 the model was facelifted with a different (much more attractive IMO) bodykit and new 17in wheels. AFAIK the changes were just cosmetic and the car was pretty much the same underneath.

Around the same time Seat launched the Cupra R model with the engine from the Audi S3 of the time. It had a larger turbo, twin intercoolers and kicked out 210bhp and 199lb/ft. The car had a different, more aggressive bodykit and 18in alloys, uprated suspension and interior, and also a larger oval tailpipe. Performance figs were claimed to by 0-60 in 7.2 secs and 147mph flat out.

In late 2003 the engine was uprated to the Audi TT225 (and then S3) spec 222bhp engine with 206lb/ft of torque. Other changes to the car were red Cupra badges instead of black ones (woo hoo!). Performance was claimed to be boosted to 0-60 in 6.9secs and 150 top, but many claim that there is nothing in it between a 210 and a 225.

I've seen plenty of adverts on the net for Cupras being sold as Cupra R's and Cupra's claiming to be standard yet having 225bhp etc. The above should help you tell the difference hopefully :D

Like many have said though, get the car that suits your budget, but either way, if you do get bored of it and/or the tractors in your area suddenly get a lot faster then an ECU remap will unleash plenty more power and performance!

J:)

I think you will find that leons have no rear ARB as standard, only aftermarket

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.