1999 1.8 20V failed MOT... Urgent help on suspension question!

kiruji

Yesterday my wife's 1999 1.8 20V failed it's MOT on these main points:

- NSR brake caliper leaking
- NSR coil spring incomplete
- NSF lower suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated

My questions are:

I'm going to have a look at the caliper, hopefully can replace the seals or something to stop the leaking. If I can't, I'll hit the scrappies... Will a caliper from a Mk4 Golf/Bora/Leon fit, or do I need to find another Toledo?

Where's the cheapest place to buy another coil spring (apparently incomplete means broken)?

Anybody know what the arm they're referring to is likely to be? The guy said that the bush can't be replaced on it's own? If anyone can pinpoint it, where's the cheapest supplier? To be honest, it'll probably be easier just to buy another arm anyway, I have no press to make fitting another bush easy!

I need to get whatever bits I need in the next 48 hours so I'll have some chance of fixing everything and getting it back for a free retest!

Thanks, good people! :D

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
The arm complete is #1 and although the 2 bushes are not marked direct they are indeed #3 (rear vertical) + #4 (front horizontal)

you'll need a press or alternative to fit them but to be honest whilst it's apart i would fit a complete arm assy from GSF or local factors et, be only slightly dearer and less grief considering you get all the bushes and balljoint done at once

407100.png

kiruji

Thanks for the info dude... Is this the right part number for that arm? 1J0407151C?

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
looks good to me but just note the genuine arm isn't handed as it 'DOES NOT' come with a ball joint mind

the aftermarket ones available have choice and most do come with one though but ask to be sure

Last edited:

kiruji

Sorry to be a PITA and a bit of a newb, but is EuroCarParts part number 616440440 the right thing? Are you talking about the ball joint that's number 11/a on your pic? Can I not reuse the one that's already on the car?

kiruji

Also, do you have an exploded diagram of the rear suspension by any chance?

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
looks good number to me and yes (11a) 3 nuts/bolts and you can transfer the balljoint over

might need to get your alignment done after though

horrible site to use that though :(

kiruji

And are the arms different on the 20V? There are two different looking arms available on EuroCarParts.

Sorry for all the questions!

kiruji

It's not the nicest site, but at least it's in plain English and not like GSF where I never know quite what I'm buying!

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
the 2 arms shown are different makes one known(ish) the other just a cheapie copy hence the 2 types

a bit like nescafe + tesco own brand as it were :)

to be honest looking at how bad it is to choose i would look for the local branch oe euro or gsf and call em up and ask but go for the one that suits ya budget really

can't beat speaking to a human

kiruji

Thanks for all the help, you're a lifesaver! :D

You're supposed to replace both springs on the same axel at the same time, aren't you? Is it safe to just replace one?

And any idea on the brake question?

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
rear caliper needs a good look really but may be as simple as the washers weeping on the banjo bolt to the pipe so grab 2 anyway and bleed it through after whilst ya there

spring - yes ideally and reccomended to change both on the axle as they do sag with age and if one's gone then a second isn't going to be far off and will save doing a wheel alignment twice if you do em both with the arm now

it's personal choice/budget really at the end of the day

kiruji

Thanks for all the help.

So, got the suspension sorted, just need to figure out the weepy caliper now.

Is there a workshop manual available? I notice there's no Haynes! Could do with something, really.

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
golf mk4 will pretty much cover ya for the majority of it all i think they do one for that model

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
ermmm so so to be honest but then the only one i had in the past was a dodgy copy and then only got wiring diagrams from it

elsawin would be better if you can find it

in fact for one off jobs you can get info from seat for a small fee about €4 for an hour

https://erwin.seat.com/erwin/showHome.do

do a search and screenshot away for later

kiruji

I paid for an hours access to that site yesterday and then couldn't open or view ANY documents. They haven't replied to my email either. Probably won't try that again.

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
:( must admit i haven't registered with em but the mercedes version works well considering my schoolboy german

what info you after ?

kiruji

I really just wanted to have a look at an exploded view of the rear suspension. I like to try and get my head round what I've got to do before I'm sat on cold driveway surrounded by tools and bits of car!