2.0 tdi FR engine is occasionally cutting out for a fraction of a second and needs a bit of turning over to start half the time. No fault codes.

Apr 21, 2023
Hey guys,

Sorry for reviving an old thread. This is the only forum thread that describes something similar that I am currently experiencing with my 2015 A3 8V 2.0 TDI 184.

It happens so randomly, I'd be driving around with light throttle applied and the engine would just very briefly drop out (not turn off) and then the revs would return according to how much throttle was applied. With a harder acceleration this causes a very violent jerk, on slower speeds it's like a hiccup (kinda like what the OP describes). I had the long turn over happen once but it was this winter and it was very cold so I assumed that had something to do with it.

I did a quick scan with Carista and it showed a cam position sensor error under the ABS group (?!). I (stupidly) cleared that error, and no there are no more faults. VCDS shows also shows no fault codes.

What do you guys think this could be? Did the OP NeilW13 solve this issue?

That is exactly what mine was doing!
The crank sensor got covered in detritus from the clutch, so it would drop out quite often, sometimes very violently as you say.

I've not had any more issues with it running in around 2000 miles now....apart from the clutch release bearing starting to get noisey (prob the main cause of the clutch dust on the sensor!)

Reactions: SuperV8

nvidia

2004 Seat Ibiza FR TDi
May 16, 2009
Reading
Sorry for the thread revival !

Mine was doing the whole Hiccup thing at higher revs , made speedy progress very frustrating (2.0TDI) and used this thread as a guide, so thank you all.

With mine it ended up being the Crank position sensor. Not so much a fault with the sensor (though it was changed while it was out), more that it was covered in metallic 'dust' from the clutch, causing a miscommunication in the timing. Hall effect type sensors do not like being dirty!

I hope this goes on to help someone else.
Did it completely solve your problems? How much was it to fix it?

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Doesn't look too bad to remove. SEAT call it an 'Engine speed sender' G28.

View attachment 36705
View attachment 36706

Did my oil/filter service yesterday - and while 'in-there' I had a look at removing this crank sensor for a clean! Well very difficult access - that drawing doesn't do it justice!

A comment on the youtube video linked say's its a 4mm allen key - and they had to remove oil filter housing for better access and even then was very difficult needing a mirror. I could barley feel it with 1 finger tip - it is really deep in there.

# just to add - I wasn't able to take it out - but I was a little tight for time.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise