312mm Brake Setup Questions

ChrisGTL

'Awesome' LCR225
Nov 17, 2007
Huddersfield
I had my 312mm brake conversion done yesterday, so spent last night bedding them in per Bill's instruction on his sticky.

Came to work this morning and nearly rammed somones arse end (ooo-errr), the brakes feel much worse then my old 288mm setup.......so:-

Do the ferodo DS2500 pads only come alive when there warm?

Do the DS2500's take quite a while to bed-in or should Bill's guide make them work 100% at the end of bedding in proceedure?

Also, my handbrake wont hold my car on a hill anymore so i'm guessing I have air in my system somewhere? The garage who did my brakes did a full fluid flush too, they have used about 250-300ml brake fluid from the container I gave them, does this sound right for a full brake fluid flush?

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
I had my 312mm brake conversion done yesterday, so spent last night bedding them in per Bill's instruction on his sticky.

Came to work this morning and nearly rammed somones arse end (ooo-errr), the brakes feel much worse then my old 288mm setup.......so:-

Do the ferodo DS2500 pads only come alive when there warm?

Do the DS2500's take quite a while to bed-in or should Bill's guide make them work 100% at the end of bedding in proceedure?

Also, my handbrake wont hold my car on a hill anymore so i'm guessing I have air in my system somewhere? The garage who did my brakes did a full fluid flush too, they have used about 250-300ml brake fluid from the container I gave them, does this sound right for a full brake fluid flush?
Sounds like a suspect job Chris TBH.
How did the brakes feel when you were bedding them in?
With what you have said I would bet there so called flush was 'sub standard'.
A full flush should be 1 litre plus.
2-300ML is nothing like the amount they should ahve used.
Be very careful with your braking till you get this sorted, also make sure you leave the car in gear when parked

ChrisGTL

'Awesome' LCR225
Nov 17, 2007
Huddersfield
Sounds like a suspect job Chris TBH.
How did the brakes feel when you were bedding them in?
With what you have said I would bet there so called flush was 'sub standard'.
A full flush should be 1 litre plus.
2-300ML is nothing like the amount they should ahve used.
Be very careful with your braking till you get this sorted, also make sure you leave the car in gear when parked

The brakes felt keen after the 2nd set of stopping, the 3rd time of stopping I thought I was going through the windscreen.

But this morning they just felt dreadful, I had to really stamp on to stop and I was only going 20mph downhill.

The fluid they used was suplied by me, I think i'll ring a independant VW garage to ask them to re-flush it all.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
That would be a good start Chris.
The DS2500 in my car feel almost exactly like the OEM pads.
No big difference in cold use but massive difference in hot use, as you've found out.
Have you had a look to see there isn't any fluid leaks around the bleed nipples etc?

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Possibly hot fluid expanding to fill the pipework better as you were bedding them in, and then shrinking back again in the cold this morning and therefore not doing the job properly? Which suggests there's not enough fluid in there to maintain pressure from cold? :shrug:
Your on the right track there bud but its the more likely to be air in the lines.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.