312mm really worth doing ???

jase750

Jan 3, 2003
Stoke on Trent
Visit site
I'm concidering doing the mod of putting TT brakes on I've read the sticky thread but it doesn't seem to say any where just HOW much better it is with the bigger brakes on ??
I personally think the brakes are quite good on the FR no problems after a couple of track days and a few sub 10 min laps of the 'ring
so just wondering what the general concensus of opinion is ??
all comments greatfully accepted

Feb 20, 2005
Telford ay it...
Not had the standard brakes to compare with but im pleased with how well my 312's stop me..........much much better than my mk2 gti's brakes

air121005

Sep 28, 2006
Worcestershire
definately worth doing! :D

i had a few moments where the brakes nearly let me down. :blink:
the 288mm setup is not suitable for the weight of the car IMO.

a lot more confidence whilst braking now!! worth every penny! ;)

Tom B

Apr 2, 2002
Northampton
I've said it a few times, its one of the best mods you can do to the 130.

The braking performance is much improved over the standard 288s. Also, it seems to cure the fault of the ABS coming on when it shouldn't!

Moffmo

defiately worth it for just the abs being less intrusie and for the brkes feeling less over servoed!

T. Spark

wen I get a spare £500 think I might do this mod like.

to spend £250 on the brakes and then £250 getting very drunk yes?

I think the 312mm are a great upgrade! Couldnt live without them ;)

Georgel

Aug 10, 2005
I take it these arn't a direct fitment then? As on ECPs you can get the 312mm TT/Cupra disks for £44.80 ATE or £25.08 EICHER a pair?! How much are they from main dealer?

Georgel

Aug 10, 2005
Thats a shame, I really thought you would just beable to bolt the bigger disks on. I thought it might require a spacer. I guess it would mean finding a Cupra in a scrapper, I bet thats looking for rocking horse ****.

BJM

Sep 25, 2005
Houston, Renfrewshire
The most common source for the set up is from the TT. I've read that on some TT's that are brought into the UK the brakes are changed immediately - leaving a load of 312mm set ups withe only a few miles on them for the likes of us to snap up!

As said above, GolfTurbo sells them and I believe he does a SCN discount!

Georgel

Aug 10, 2005
Ok mate, does he sell new or second hand kit? It's a shame the carriers have to be changed as it could have been a piece of piss to what some bigger disks on. :)

BJM

Sep 25, 2005
Houston, Renfrewshire
IIRC he sells the ones with delivery miles on. I take it you have an FR? If so it's relatively easy to swap over, calipers, carriers, discs and pads!

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
The 312mm upgrade was the best mod I did to my 130 (aside from a remap of course).

Much more powerful braking, which gives you so much more confidence in the car.

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Can't remember, but trust me - they do make a big difference!

Did the same conversion on my Passat too, which was way too heavy a car for 288mm brakes IMO :blink:

hon_n_gem

Candy White K1
Mar 22, 2006
Kent
www.auto-tuner.co.uk
yeah i personally think the 288 discs are poo....i realli want 312s but ill wait til the brakes need changing!

Ive done 24k miles, how much longer do you think they will last!?

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.