312mm really worth doing ???

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
I've not upgraded the brakes in my car as I've not felt the need to. The standard setup seem to work very well for me. :)
Trust me, if you tried the 312mm setup you'd really notice and appreciate the difference :)

Aimez

Do you guys know if bigger or differnt calipers are required for this setup, i have an 04 FR some people think i do, some think i dont. My mate had a look at the discs pads and carriers i have (from ad lavs motor) and thinks it will be fine??

Guinness

Finally got the BMW
Nov 29, 2006
Newcastle
from what I head thats a minimum some people still reckon the hoses should be changed as well. Iv read so many thread about this now trying 2 find hub info lol

CHR15B

May 5, 2005
Scotland
The callipers for the 312MM setup are completely different from the original 288MM setup so I'm thinking they must have been changed.

Dec 16, 2007
Gloucester/Cheltenham
my new brakes are pants at the moment, need to be bed in etc, though the pedal barely moves compared to how bad it was before hand! wheel looks so much better (more filled out heheh) they do bring you down from speed a lot better though. One thing i would say is to all whom have done this upgrade tell the insurance company! because im sure they would void the policy in a crash or claim.

Altech

Ibiza PD170
Oct 3, 2007
London
Doubt that insurance companies would notice tbh.

But if you did tell them they should lower your insurance as you've made the car safer!!:lol:

Dec 16, 2007
Gloucester/Cheltenham

But if you did tell them they should lower your insurance as you've made the car safer!!:lol:

i agree it should make it cheaper! but quite a lot of insurers, especially the main ones wont insure you on uprated brakes... And tbf it is noticable, and if you have front end damage they will notice on inspection anyway. (especially when mechanic rips it apart) remaps on the other hand :cool: should be able to get away with unless they use software on the car or drive it heheh.

Guinness

Finally got the BMW
Nov 29, 2006
Newcastle
tbh they arnt ever going to notice a remap. As for brakes I dont think they would notice if you had after market wheels on. Ie they didnt fill the standards totaly as they are audi calipers etc.

depresion

Dec 14, 2005
One thing i would say is to all whom have done this upgrade tell the insurance company! because im sure they would void the policy in a crash or claim.

That goes for any modification, however small, if they notice it and you haven't declared it they will not pay out.

Expect to pay a hefty premium for better stopping power though, I had a good chat with my broker about it.

Me: What will be the effect of fitting bigger front breaks.
Him: Your primium will go up.
Me: Ok what about if I fit much smaller breaks can I get realy cheap insurance, it's not like I use them much.
Him: I don't think it works like that.
Me: Never dose.

Dec 16, 2007
Gloucester/Cheltenham
exactly why ive gone with brentacre... under 21, FMIC, brakes, backbox, coilovers, lights, wheels, ARB's, strut braces, induction kits, etc all free of charge :D

They work on a capped basis, so when you want more power IE remap you pay a certain amount and can do what you want to the car as long as you dont exceed the capped horsepower. all of the above dont warrent changing the bhp limit from 130 on the ibiza fr, apparently, its only when say getting a turbo back exhaust, big turbo and remap that it will cost extra.

I think modifications should be made cheap or free, purely to cut down on people who have void insurance, we've all not declared mods before, but theres always that strong chance you'l get hit or accidently hit someone whos stalled at traffic lights etc.

Aimez

gonna take the wheel off etc and get my mate to have a look at some point as dont want i it to go in the garage and they are like oh you need hoses or why have you bought them you dont need them etc! Never as simple as it seems this modding lark!

Dec 16, 2007
Gloucester/Cheltenham
02042008445.jpg
excuse the dirty car :D
brakes are slowly getting better now :D theyve done 40 miles so another 100 should see them bedding in nicely.

KAZSTE

Jun 28, 2006
ibiza cupra

is it worth the audi tt mod on the cupra? or is it the same brakes, sometime i fell like i could do with more and the back ones look far too small, any advice appreciated.

ruimbt

Diameter of disk brakes for Seat Sport (AP Racing) callipers

hello

sorry to bother, does anyone know the minimum diameter of the disc brakes for Seat Sport (AP Racing) callipers with 4 pistons? are 312 mm or more?

many thanks