7.5k miles on a set of tyres!!!

alnsaz

Dec 7, 2005
West of Scotland
Hi guys

Is there something wrong with my driving style

My 7 month old Leon TDi FR+ needs new fronts after only 7,500 miles :-o

I'm not used to this - tyres on my previous 1.6 Leons used to last 30,000

New Bridgestones are £90 from mytyres.co.uk unfitted!

I do a mix of driving but methinks the roundabouts where I live don't help - in my defence I do drive carefully when the baby is strapped in

It's difficult no to enjoy the torque :happy:

wakko

Jul 27, 2005
Blackburn, Lancashire
I had to replace my front tyres on my Cupra R a little to early (about 10k) but i drive hard. Maybe just our driving styles i guess. Is most of the wear on the outside edge of the tyre?

alnsaz

Dec 7, 2005
West of Scotland
Wakko - I'll need to be careful with the heavy right foot I guess - can't afford £200 on tyres every 6ish months!

Claudefrog - 3k! You must be taking it on a trackday or for burnouts mate!

didsi

I Want an LCR!
Aug 25, 2006
i had a brand new ford focus courtesy car (when my old car was in for repairs) i had it for two weeks and managed to get the tyres past minimum wear! what an achievement!!!

chris h

Just over 10k on the original P-zeros and have still got a decent amount of tread. And i dont hang around either!

kempos

Sep 26, 2002
hull
Visit site
my ibiza tdi 175 managed 10k a set and tried different tyre manufacturers each time to try get more.
done 16k in toledo 20v before new tyres needed must be the torque of the diesel

wurzel

Jun 2, 2003
East Anglia
Visit site
Went through the fronts on my FR TDI in 11/12K. Put it down to them been slightly over inflated and crap tyres (p6000s). £200 is steep for a pair, you should be able to get a pair of decent tyres for £170/£180. I know its not much less but as one supermarket says every little helps!!

Brucel

Apr 29, 2005
Sheffield
I'm on my 3rd set of fronts and 2nd set of backs but I do the odd track day and SEAT Stealer screwed up when they did a wheel baring "It doesn't need alignment after wheel barings you don't change any of that" said the stealer, 2 very dangerous front tyres.... driving on Michelins at £150 each paid for by them :)

Sounds like you have a heavy foot mate but don't let it ruin your fun... also Pirelli's are known to wear badly in the middle...

Ibiza Cupra

I've done a set in just over 5k, that was when i first got it and getting used to the clutch!!!!!

Then the second set went soon after and i put that down to getting used to corners!!!!!"!

Ibiza Cupra

Depends wot tyres you go for. My mate in a golf gti tdi thing 150bhp got 36k on a set of michelin primacy's.

Yokohame A539's are holding well for me, Conti's were crap lasted 5k and screeched and understeered all over the place!!!!

And wot ever were on my car when i brought it were crap, brand new tyres but seriously didn't last at all!!!!

alnsaz

Dec 7, 2005
West of Scotland
Thanks for all the info guys

Maybe this should be a new thread but would it cause me any probs to put a different brand on the fronts while still having the original bridgestone potenzas on the rear?

I know I can save about £20 a corner by fitting GSD3s or something similar

Also I've read that putting the rears on the front and the new tyres on the back might be a better idea?

Any thoughts:confused:

Davidp

Owl Member
Sep 14, 2004
Wirral
Thanks for all the info guys

Maybe this should be a new thread but would it cause me any probs to put a different brand on the fronts while still having the original bridgestone potenzas on the rear?

I know I can save about £20 a corner by fitting GSD3s or something similar

Also I've read that putting the rears on the front and the new tyres on the back might be a better idea?

Any thoughts:confused:
I had 225 wide continental contact sport tyres from new and just changed the two rear at 31k and the front after 16k. They were all down to 3mm tread depth
The original continental front tyres were also changed after 15k. I think that’s pretty good as I drive the car fast (although the traction control is usually on!)

That’s twice as long as my old Leon which had 205 Pirelli P6000s on the front which only lasted around 6k.:(

Just put a full set of 4 Goodyear Eagle F1 (from event mobile tyres at £90 each fitted). They were £10 each cheaper than the Continentals so hope they last as well.

Cheers

Ibiza Cupra

You can put different tyres on the front to the rear. aslong as they are the same side to side.

Brucel

Apr 29, 2005
Sheffield
You can put different tyres on the front to the rear. aslong as they are the same side to side.

I have Michelins on the front and Pirelli's on the back.... Never going back to Pirelli once these are warn out. Michelins are awesome so probably a pair of them on the rear...

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise