a spring has fallen off my car

No3ntry

I was driving along about 10 minutes ago and giving the old girl a bit of stick came to a junction and was quite heavy on the brakes and then i felt something under my foot

so i stopped and picked it up and it was a spring

I have no idea where it goes or where it came from and none of the pedals feel any different

the spring in question is about 6 inches long with a black rubber thing about an inch long wrapped around the middle of it then at each end is a hook one hook is about an inch long and the other one is about 3 inches long.

It's not actually my car it's my uncle's so could do with finding out what it is exactly before i give the car back to him on friday.

Thanks James

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
sounds like a return spring,had one snap off my old cordoba,you sure the pedal travel hasn't been effected?

No3ntry

yeh all pedals are unaffected as far as I am aware and i had driven it around for a good 15 - 20 mins afterwards.

bentaw

Revo'd LCR
Oct 1, 2004
Hampshire
i would be really worried if there was an exhuast flexi under my foot, exhaust flexi's are quite big well the ones i have seen anyway

No3ntry

how would an exhaust flexi get inside the car though ?

sorry i should have been more clear when i say i stoppped and picked it up i stopped the car and picked it up from under my feet in the drivers footwell.

If it is anything to do with the exhaust which seems doubtful tbh then it isnt affecting that either.

to be honest i am starting to think it is from something else completely and was lodged in the car somewhere and my over eager braking threw it out from its hiding place.

I've given the spring to my mechanic now if he cant find out what it is tomorrow i'll take a pic and you can perhaps try and decide from that what it is.

No3ntry

Click for bigger image (660KB)

DVD case for size reference

Last edited by a moderator:

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
I think you'll find that has come lose from under your seat. Don't ask me where exactly or what it does, but I remember seeing something very similar when I removed the seats from a previous car.

No3ntry

will it be obvious where it goes ?

I am guessing its a seat out jobby ?

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.