Adding hydraulic bonnet struts to the Formentor

EuKiwi

Jul 7, 2021
Bavaria, Germany
Hey all,

Just thought I'd let you know that you can add these very easily to the Formentor, as the threaded fitment is there and ready, and covered by a sticker for the mount. Just simply buy this set:

And then follow the very easy guide as per this page (in German, but the images are enough). Very easy - took me literally less than 5 minutes:

Size 12 (lower mount) and size 13 (upper mount) ring spanners needed, and that's it.

Cupradev

May 10, 2021
Hey all,

Just thought I'd let you know that you can add these very easily to the Formentor, as the threaded fitment is there and ready, and covered by a sticker for the mount. Just simply buy this set:

And then follow the very easy guide as per this page (in German, but the images are enough). Very easy - took me literally less than 5 minutes:

Size 12 (lower mount) and size 13 (upper mount) ring spanners needed, and that's it.
Nice work. Looks great. I take it all the clearances are ok once the bonnet is shut?

fpdoc0697

May 22, 2021
Very good idea. I’m disappointed it doesn’t have them as it’s a nice premium addition that I have as standard on my BMW. Thanks

EuKiwi

Jul 7, 2021
Bavaria, Germany
Very good idea. I’m disappointed it doesn’t have them as it’s a nice premium addition that I have as standard on my BMW. Thanks

The fact it even has the threaded hole there ready for the mounting nug just shows that it's a brand engineering exercise - even the VWs don't have them etc. and that's reserved for Audis and the like :)

Reactions: Boxhead_31

EuKiwi

Jul 7, 2021
Bavaria, Germany
Nice work. Looks great. I take it all the clearances are ok once the bonnet is shut?

Yes, no problems in the slightest. It's clear from the fact there's the threaded hole there for the nug covered by a sticker that it was always designed to have them, but was decided against late in the process. Can't have a SEAT/Cupra with them if VWs don't have them after all ;)

Reactions: Cupradev

AndyCupra93

Apr 21, 2021
It’s an odd backwards step, my 7 GTD and 7.5 GTI had gas struts but they obviously decided to save a few quid on the latest VW range.

EuKiwi

Jul 7, 2021
Bavaria, Germany
It’s an odd backwards step, my 7 GTD and 7.5 GTI had gas struts but they obviously decided to save a few quid on the latest VW range.
Agreed - and the interior quality of VWs has taken a big backward step, even some lower-tier Audis, with rear door trims no longer having soft-touch materials etc. whereas they used to previously. It's all cost-savings to try and recover from the massive Dieselgate fines.

EuKiwi

Jul 7, 2021
Bavaria, Germany
Ordered mine today, will post photos of assembly … surprised they weren’t standard option

Yeah definitely penny-pinching - but there's a lot of that now in the VW group due to the huge fines they were hit with. They save quite a bit of money actually for example with the removal of physical climate controls, moving them into a touch strip on the main display assembly and putting the climate controls on the main screen.

EuKiwi

Jul 7, 2021
Bavaria, Germany
As promised, a few pictures. Sorry, lighting wasn't brilliant as it was in the underground car park.

20210711_193058.jpg
20210711_193103.jpg
20210711_193124.jpg

EuKiwi

Jul 7, 2021
Bavaria, Germany
Knowing my luck I would forget to take them off at the end if the lease and get charged for it
I spoke to VW financial services and they said no problems, as it's a reversible addition, not a change or modification to the vehicle or anything that increases wear on components etc.

Reactions: Yaz2010

Deleted member 131219

My only complaint is that they're a bit TOO strong, ie. quite a bit of lift needed to get the bonnet up, and then have to be careful when closing it too as they're a bit... enthusiastic :D
Still going to be an improvement on the prop. I haven’t had to prop up my car bonnet since 1998!

Reactions: EuKiwi

Agnes.Surrey

Nov 6, 2020
Surrey
I have one in Abarth (and real handbrake too), so was not shocked ;-) I would buy the struts, but to be honest, how often am I going to open the bonnet during 2 years lease? To top up windscreen fluid every few months? I assume, car will tell me if I need to top up engine oil or is it manual check too?

Deleted member 131219

I have one in Abarth (and real handbrake too), so was not shocked ;-) I would buy the struts, but to be honest, how often am I going to open the bonnet during 2 years lease? To top up windscreen fluid every few months? I assume, car will tell me if I need to top up engine oil or is it manual check too?
I’m old school, not trusting of on board check systems. :)

Reactions: EuKiwi
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members