Adding hydraulic bonnet struts to the Formentor

Ninjakebab

Apr 12, 2022

Guys, be careful with the Jingling ones. I just began installing mine and they do NOT have enough clearance when installing as per the instructions.

The cylinder end is simply too thick and will press on the underside of the bonnet when it closes.

It might be possible to close it and go on without noticing damage. I kept a look at the clearance when slowly lowering the hood, and it gets squeezes between the bonnet and the foam "gasket" making a small scratch in my bonnet.

Had to go to work, but I will take some pictures when I'm home again. It might work if I flip if and have the piston end on the bonnet, and the cylinder on the chassis.

EDIT: Formatting to get peoples attention

Last edited:

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
Guys, be careful with the Jingling ones. I just began installing mine and they do NOT have enough clearance when installing as per the instructions.
The cylinder end is simply too thick and will press on the underside of the bonnet when it closes. The cylinder is quite thick.

It might be possible to close it and go on without noticing. I kept a look at the clearance when slowly lowering the hood, and it gets squeezes between the bonnet and the foam "gasket" making a small scratch in my bonnet.

Had to go to work, but I will take some pictures when I'm home again. It might work if I flip if and have the piston end on the bonnet, and the cylinder on the chassis.
Well, thanks for the heads up, I think! You've got me worried now. I checked mine during fitting and didn't notice a problem. Having said that the
LFOTPP ones, with the longer lead time, certainly do have a shorter cylinder though probably a similar thickness.

I'll be very interested to see any evidence of this from your photos and I'll check mine again this afternoon.

Supa Koopa

Mar 13, 2022
The cylinder end is simply too thick and will press on the underside of the bonnet when it closes. The cylinder is quite thick.

It might be possible to close it and go on without noticing. I kept a look at the clearance when slowly lowering the hood, and it gets squeezes between the bonnet and the foam "gasket" making a small scratch in my bonnet.

Thanks for the heads up and the spot. I've just gone or to check mine and unfortunately there's 2 chips of paint missing and a crease on each side under the bonnet. No idea why I didn't check more carefully.

If you switch them around so the piston is at the front of the car I think they would be fine, but since I've ruined my car enough I've elected to just completely remove them and use it as a learning experience. 😂

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
Thanks for the heads up and the spot. I've just gone or to check mine and unfortunately there's 2 chips of paint missing and a crease on each side under the bonnet. No idea why I didn't check more carefully.

If you switch them around so the piston is at the front of the car I think they would be fine, but since I've ruined my car enough I've elected to just completely remove them and use it as a learning experience. 😂
Oh no :(. I out to check mine now!

Reactions: Supa Koopa

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
I am bloody annoyed to say the least :mad: :banghead2. Definite damage to the brace bar across my bonnet as you can see in the pics!

Thanks a lot to Ninjakebab and Supa Koopa for sharing. These Jingling ones are on there way back to Amazon as of right now! I'm going to order the LFOTPP ones that are advertised for the T-Roc, not Formentor and see how they are. I don't suppose anyone knows if the cylinder diameter on these are any different to the Jingling ones? Jingling cylinder diameter is 18mm.

Attachments

• 20220503_115432.jpg
    20220503_115432.jpg
    353.1 KB · Views: 209
  • 20220503_115450.jpg
    20220503_115450.jpg
    376.1 KB · Views: 220

Bear

Jun 15, 2021
I am bloody annoyed to say the least :mad: :banghead2. Definite damage to the brace bar across my bonnet as you can see in the pics!

Thanks a lot to Ninjakebab and Supa Koopa for sharing. These Jingling ones are on there way back to Amazon as of right now! I'm going to order the LFOTPP ones that are advertised for the T-Roc, not Formentor and see how they are. I don't suppose anyone knows if the cylinder diameter on these are any different to the Jingling ones? Jingling cylinder diameter is 18mm.
That is a bit shite. Bloody appalling to sell kit that damages your motor and is utterly unfit for purpose.

Ninjakebab

Apr 12, 2022
Alright lads, here is my analysis for this Formentor mod - and fix for the Jingling struts:

I believe all hydraulic struts will conflict with either the bulge on the underside of the bonnet AND/OR the rubber gasket - especially if the cylinder end is attached to the bonnet

Take a look at this picture of Jingling struts, with the piston end attached to the bonnet (with bonnet still about 6cm from fully closed):
IMG_20220503_170709_HDR.jpg

Even a slimmer strut will most likely make contact if the cylinder end is attached to bonnet. The LFOTPP has different brackets, and might have bigger clearance with the bonnet - but that will just bring it lower and squeeze the rubber instead. Even with the piston on the bonnet, the Jingling still makes contact with the rubber.

I advise everyone to have a look at theirs (LFOTPP too), and check for damages/clearance.

Now, for the Jingling ones you can't just flip them to get the piston on the bonnet side of things, you gotta swap the brackets on the struts themselves too, since they swivel in different directions:
IMG_20220503_164556_HDR.jpg
They're threaded so no biggie doing the 180.
It should end up looking like this on the bonnet:
IMG_20220503_170447_HDR.jpg
As you might be able to tell I had to rotate the bracket ever so slightly, since the knuckle of the piston will otherwise scrape against the bonnet bracket.
Took a bit of creative thinking, but the Jinglings can work.

Final result:
IMG_20220503_183943_HDR.jpg

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
Thanks for that information. I'm still sending my Jingling ones back to Amazon though and there might be some very negative feedback coming for someone! I am not a happy bunny at the moment :mad: .

That said, does anyone know if any of the Formentor models have bonnet struts as standard? If so which models and how can I find the OEM part number? There's a very local company near me that manufacture gas struts for cars at a much lower price than the dealer would charge. I've already been in touch and they've replied saying they think they can help if they have the OEM part number.

Reactions: Supa Koopa

Supa Koopa

Mar 13, 2022
I don't think any models actually come with the struts. :(

Thanks oldgitdave, I didn't even think about sending them back I just threw them in the garage in disgust, but I'll be sending them back to Amazon as well.

Reactions: oldgitdave

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
I don't think any models actually come with the struts. :(

Thanks oldgitdave, I didn't even think about sending them back I just threw them in the garage in disgust, but I'll be sending them back to Amazon as well.
Hmm, you'd think that a £50k VZ5 would have them wouldn't you?

Ninjakebab

Apr 12, 2022
Hmm, you'd think that a £50k VZ5 would have them wouldn't you?

I'm jealous everytime someone mentions local prices...

I paid the equivalent of exactly £50k for my VZ Hybrid Formentor, slightly used :censored: and that's with one of the lowest car tax rates in this country.
If it was taxed like a regular combustion vehicle it would have been £85k.

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
I don't suppose any of you guys know the force rating in Newtons for these gas struts? I'm making enquiries with a local manufacturer to see if they can come with suitable gas struts that don't damage anything :rolleyes: and hopefully will work a bit better than the ones we've tried.

Bear

Jun 15, 2021
I'm jealous everytime someone mentions local prices...

I paid the equivalent of exactly £50k for my VZ Hybrid Formentor, slightly used :censored: and that's with one of the lowest car tax rates in this country.
If it was taxed like a regular combustion vehicle it would have been £85k.
Ouch!

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
I don't suppose any of you guys know the force rating in Newtons for these gas struts? I'm making enquiries with a local manufacturer to see if they can come with suitable gas struts that don't damage anything :rolleyes: and hopefully will work a bit better than the ones we've tried.
If you can get the force and stroke details, then you can deffo get cheaper struts. When I did the Leon, I ended up making the brackets out of some stainless I had kicking about and ended up buying a pair of struts off the Bay of E with the correct force and stroke which were listed for............the tailgate on a Corsa :roflmao:

Reactions: oldgitdave

dashnine

Oct 31, 2012
Warwick, UK
There may be other reasons the struts are deleted from the Formentor, weight is one (target weights are established for various areas of responsibility of the car, in addition to the whole car overall) and the other is perceived luxury in that the gas struts may be (or will be) reserved for the more upmarket brands of the group, VW, Audi, etc.

But my money would probably be on cost too...

George Palmier

May 5, 2022
These are the struts I fitted. When fitted with the piston at the bonnet side, the bonnet still did not touch but the piston pressed on the insulation foam underneath. No big deal, but now I turned them 180° and maybe at the worst it is just touching with the foam.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members