Advice Needed on buying car.

Phoenix27

RIP Project Blueshift
Jan 17, 2010
Great Yarmouth, Norfolk

Ladies and Gents,

After months of searching i feel i may finally have found the one for me, although being my second car i'm very hesitant to commit fully having read a lot of bits on this forum....

I have found a 53 Black LCR (225), FSH, 79k, for 5.8k.....

I need the experience of you MK1 LCR owners if i could....

Knowing this car has had 4 owners makes me slightly more cautious but for the price is this a good offer? He won't budge on the price and it's a good 4 hours trek to get it.

What should i look out for if i do get it. For instance, engine noise (turbo going or anything like that), specific problems that are common, anything?

I hope you can all help as i'm really torn!

Kind regards in advance,

James

Last edited by a moderator:

wrecker

Can't help much as I'm knew to the LCR too, but I've just bought an 04 with less miles which was more expensive than that. The price sounds about right to me based on the research I did and the other ones I looked at, assuming it's in reasonable nick.

You'd definitely need to check the cambelt's been done if it's on 79k, but can't offer much more advice than that I'm afraid. I'll leave the 'things to look out for' to the experts...

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
5.8k is too cheap

I would want to know that its service history is A1 (with receipts)

4 owners is OK though. So many people buy these cars & **** a brick at running costs

wrecker

Mine was off an independent dealer, £7.5k, 2004 model, 52k on the clock, really good condition with full Seat service history.

Parkers guide (I know a lot of people don't rate Parkers much before anyone starts, but it's OK as a very rough guide) is as follows for what your buying:

SEAT Leon Cupra R (02-05) 1. 1.8 20V (225ps) 5d
2. Year 2003/53
3. Average mileage: 70,000 miles

Original Price £18,000
Franchised Dealer £6,805
Independent Dealer £6,145
Private Good £5,160
Private Poor £3,555
Part Exchange £4,010

£5.8k doesn't seem too far off the mark to me if it's a private sale or an independent dealer?? Although from what I've read on the forum so far, m0rk really knows his stuff, so he probably knows a hell of a lot more about it than me as a newbie to the LCRs.

Totally agree about checking the service history.

Last edited by a moderator:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.