Aerial differences?

Scottl

I know this may sound a stupid question as so many people replace them anyway, but are there any differences between the anti-theft SEAT arials and the pretty much identical VAG aerials (non anti-theft)?

I should have an anti-theft one on my TDI but it looks like i may have a cheap generic copy as it screws straight out and the rubber round the base has been cut down (so that it will screw in far enough by the look of it).

I am not bothered about having a nice looking 'stubby' one, I just want good reception, so have been looking at the generic VAG ones on ebay. I'm guessing these one will be fine even though they aren't the correct anti-theft ones?

Cheers

The MoffMeister

Half Hoff, Half Moff.
Apr 4, 2006
colchester
you've prob got a s2000 aerial or similar the shorter the worse the signal obviously but i've never had mine pinched and i've got a civic one on so you should be fine

any aerial will be fine just depends if you want anti theft or not goto stealer if need be

daboy3000

No Longer a Seat owner
Jul 2, 2008
Oxted
If you've got an aftermarket stereo then you will need a booster, will set you back £5-10

daboy3000

No Longer a Seat owner
Jul 2, 2008
Oxted
Strange, i changed my VAG aerial to the c2 and completely lost my reception, added the booster and its much better, not perfect but much better, will use my VAG aerial if i'm going on a long trip out of the city.

CupraString

Jul 29, 2008
West Mids
I changed my stereo and reception was fine, changed aerial and lost all reception so trying to get hold of an original anti theft aerial now

Scottl

Finally bought a new standard geniune VAG aerial and it doesn't fit my '04 Leon Cupra TDI.

A word of warning for anyone who has the anti-theft/fold-flat aerial like I do - DO NOT buy a standard VAG aeriel or similar, IT WILL NOT FIT!

No one mentioned on here that the ant-theft design ones have a different longer screw in fitting, I understand why my old one had all the bottom hacked up now - so it would actually screw in (by at least a couple of threads)!

Looks like I am going to have to go to my Seat garage and buy the proper aerial for my car (and pay their extortionate prices) so I can finally get decent reception.

Once I get my hands on one I will post back and let you know the exact differences, if anyone is interested.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:

Scottl

I really could push it till my roof caves in, the thread just sits in the recess. It wont even touch the socket that moves 90 degrees to fold flat.

Scottl

I've just checked again and the thread is all moulded into the base with no chance of it coming out any further.

It's ok, i'm just gonna grit my teeth and call the seat dealer tomorrow. Just wanted other people with the later anti-theft aerial Leons to know that the new standard VAG aerials wont fit.

sie77

May 12, 2009
Thats why i lost a lot of reception then when i changed stereo didn't realise the booster was built in to the standard stereo, looks like ill have to try one off eBay!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.