Aftermarket headunit with Nav,Ipod connection (anyone got one of these!??)

Cupra R Matt

Moody grey 300!
Mar 4, 2012
Chesterfield
I'm currently "considering" a change of H/unit from my boggo standard Non Nav factory unit and i have been looking at various threads with folks going for RNS 510's & Kenwoods etc, but whilst browsing Ebay i came across this:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220792355169

Questions are - has anyone on here got one of these?, Are they any good (had ANY issues?), Do they fit straight in?, Is the Nav as good as a stand-alone nav system (tomtom for Eg!)

I know he RNS 510 seems like a popular choice and it's obviously going to be a quality unit with a good O.e look to it, but from what i can gather they DON'T have FULL postcode search (which kinda puts me off a bit!), and from what i can gather with the above unit i could take the SD card from my TomTom go 510 and pop it in and have an all in one setup with tomtom nav, Ipod conny and DVD etc etc.

I have been using the Nav app on my Iphone for a while, but for whatever reason if i connect the phone to my car the connection keeps dropping out which soon becomes VERY annoying and makes it a real PITA to use - hence me wanting an all in one solution and this unit is at a good price and seems a pretty good spec (not keen on paying nearly £1k for the seat kenwood option!!) Don't like using my old Tomtom Nav as the window bracket has gone and it flops about and tbh i don't want stuff all over, phone,nav blah blah blah.

Anyone!???

Cupra R Matt

Moody grey 300!
Mar 4, 2012
Chesterfield
ive got an aftermarket double din with all the toys m8, its similair to the one you looked at on ebay, ive fitted a few of these to various cars with no issues, this unit is plug and play with working canbus as well .
brilliant bit of kit imo and comes from uk supplier (amrin @ carcult01) have a look

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-VW-T5-...2?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item43b0c4dcee

cal

Hmm looks good mate, Can you advise what the Nav on it is like, or can you pop in an SD card from say my Tomtom and run full tomtom nav software from the unit!? Does it come with everything needed to fit, and does it fit without the need for hacking or trimming anywhere? I know i'll need a new facia surround and some clips n screws- but other than that is everything there!??

Seat racer

vagcom owner
Jun 7, 2012
renfrewshire
It comes with igo satnav on sd card, which has speed
Cameras, poi, speeding warning, 3d maPping,
You will need to remove a small bit of plastic when you
Fit new unit, new fascia panel, a few clips and screws, and
Your done, units have ipod, usb x2, bluetooth, nav, sd, dvd
Tuner, pip, recording facility, and all climate displays and
Steering wheel functions.

Cupra R Matt

Moody grey 300!
Mar 4, 2012
Chesterfield
It comes with igo satnav on sd card, which has speed
Cameras, poi, speeding warning, 3d maPping,
You will need to remove a small bit of plastic when you
Fit new unit, new fascia panel, a few clips and screws, and
Your done, units have ipod, usb x2, bluetooth, nav, sd, dvd
Tuner, pip, recording facility, and all climate displays and
Steering wheel functions.

Do you know whether or not you can disregard the Igo nav app and use an alternative nav software?, Just been reading reviews of the Igo app on Itunes and it looks like there's more good than bad!!

other than that it looks promising!!

What do you have to trim to get the unit to fit though!??

Seat racer

vagcom owner
Jun 7, 2012
renfrewshire
Send amrin an email and ask if tOmtom software will
Work, when you remove old unit, you will see a piece of
Plastic at the bottom of the opening thatl require a bit
Of a trimming, try a search on here im sure its in the
Faq section m8,

Masterkm

My Leon 'Alyssa'
Jul 11, 2011
Halesowen, West Mids
No, you will need the MFD one. Dave will be able to sort you out

Tomtom can be put on these but requires a bit of know how which i did research when i used to have something similar but sold it

Last edited:

Cupra R Matt

Moody grey 300!
Mar 4, 2012
Chesterfield
I'm currently speaking to the guy that's selling them - asking a few questions about the nav software etc.

He didn't say wehther or not i could install tomtom software on the unit, but instead advised that the software they use is much newer and will be a lot better ( my nav is a GO510), thing is the tomtom has been the best nav i've used so far & i'm wary of switching to something else that i know little about, and espcially when the reviews for the Igo software aren't that good (ok i could probably find BAD reviews for tomtom software if i looked at that too)

I just want to try and make sure i buy once and buy right so i'm not waisting £££'s and peeing about - only to regret it!

Last edited:

Seat racer

vagcom owner
Jun 7, 2012
renfrewshire
i understand m8, we sell tomtom in our stores, aswell as garmin etc, but i personally cant fault the igo software, it does the exact same job as the others mentioned, and yes you can find tons of crap reviews on most satnav units, dont forget your also buying this for multimedia reasons as well lol.

Cupra R Matt

Moody grey 300!
Mar 4, 2012
Chesterfield
i understand m8, we sell tomtom in our stores, aswell as garmin etc, but i personally cant fault the igo software, it does the exact same job as the others mentioned, and yes you can find tons of crap reviews on most satnav units, dont forget your also buying this for multimedia reasons as well lol.

Yeah i get that i'm not just buying the unit soley for it's nav capabilities, but for the dvd & ipod functionality too, Out of interest how would you rate to Igo software to say tomtom - in terms of ease of use, display,Guidance quality (how often it gets you where you wanna go trouble free with no duff info!) Also does the package come with a cable to connect an ipod or is that something you have to buy seperatley? (or do you just use one of your Ipod leads that you get when buy an Ipod?)

I did ask Amrin about updating the units Nav firmware, and he said something about buying a new SD with new maps on - but that to me seems excessive, surely there must be some way of updating the software on the SD without having to keep shelling out for new cards with new maps every time!??

The nav software is the biggest single sticking point for me now really, if i everything checks out Ok on that front i may just pull the plunger and buy this unit but i don't want to get get it and find it's not a very intuitive programme and is a PITA to use or is contantly giving you duff info.

I've got Navfree on my Iphone atm which is what i've been using for the last few times i've been out and about, and whilst it's fairly good MOST of the time, it's the occasions when it's giving you duff info that stay with ya, and that's just a little too often with this software imho (wanted me to turn right on a junction which was clearly marked NO right turn):wtf:, seems to want to bring you back a different way to that which it took you quite often, and (when coming home from farther a-field for instance) i know for sure that even though i have it set for fastest route, & i know WHAT that route would be (I'm talking about coming down from Doncaster on the M1) it wants to bring me off 2/3 junctions early and take me through Barlborough/Staveley/Brimington etc :confused::wtf: I know for sure that my tomtom wouldn't do that - which just shows the deficiancies of that particular software compared to the tomtom's! Ok i know Satnav's are NOT infallable and you sometimes have to use common sense and your instincts, But with my old tomtom those times have been pretty rare thankfully! if the Igo software is as good or better then it looks like i'll be onto a winner!

Last edited:

mrbubba

Aug 24, 2008
I've been running one of these since the beginning of the year and it's great. I have igo primo v2 on mine and it's so easy to use (on par with tom tom)
You can get updates to the nav software it's just knowing where to look, there are loads of mobile nav forums.

Best thing I've bought for my car so far.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

mrbubba

Aug 24, 2008
Did it come with a lead for connecting an iPod included!??

Can't recall seeing one in the listing, just somet about a USB lead!?!?

Mine was second hand off a vw site and was missing the iPod lead as the guy selling it forgot to pack it. I don't use it as all my music is on an sd card and plays straight from that

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Cupra R Matt

Moody grey 300!
Mar 4, 2012
Chesterfield
Pulled the trigger n bought one!

Hope it proves to be everything I want now!

How much is the facia trim that you need??, looked at one on EBay but it was £54 -that can't be right, surely it's no more than £15!!