Air filter covered in oil, how?

leon_richard

I just openen up the air filter to find it was covered in oil, how is this possible? where could it have come from? im mistified

cheers

Dani_b19

Apr 8, 2009
Itll be from the PCV system, it dumps oil back into the turbo intake pipe. Never known it be that bad though. You need to fit an oil catch can.

leon_richard

Itll be from the PCV system, it dumps oil back into the turbo intake pipe. Never known it be that bad though. You need to fit an oil catch can.

I haven't got a turbo on my car, its going straight into the throttle body.
whats the pcv system? whats an oil catch can?

Aug 7, 2009
Manchester U.K
PCV is part of the oil breather system, it sends the oil vapour into the inlet hose and is burnt in the engine to reduce emissions. Its not normal for the air filter to be coverd in oil as the engine sucks the vapout hence it wont got backwards towards the filter. So id be looking at checking the oil breather system.

leon_richard

how'd i check the oil breather system? could it happen if the oil is overfilled? i know that happened when i last had it serviced by a garage, hence im doing this one myself.

leon_richard

nah, i drained some of the oil out as soon as i realised (the day after the service), always keep the oil about half way between the markers.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise