AndrewJB's Mk2 Leon FR 2.0 16V TDI "Der Rote Baron"

kilner

May 8, 2011
you should get 215 anything more and the smoke is a complete joke and starts to get embarasing you will strugle to get more than 222 bhp and the turbo will be pushed to its limits egts will be very high injectors will be maxed out and the duration will be way to much just to try and eek out every last drop

i would advise 210-215 i would not aim above that unless you have more upgrades

andy550

Jan 10, 2013
Loughborough
Was the 216 ok to pass an MOT? I see they do a switchable maps so as long as one of them will pass an MOT I'm not concerned. Wouldn't really have the time or need the hassle of sorting that out.

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
I had a STS Device so come MOT time i was going to turn on the Stage0 map to be super careful but i would imagine it would pass MOT no problems as the 216 map was less smokey than my old JBS one

andy550

Jan 10, 2013
Loughborough
Fair enough. To be honest 210/215's enough. I don't have it on track enough to warrant running mega power so any money would be better spent on suspension/clutches etc.

kilner

May 8, 2011
i think 210 - 215 is plenty even for track i think you would blow the engine or melt somthing running it at 225+ bhp on a track

on the stock setup

kilner

May 8, 2011
lets just say at my power at 4500rpm im hiting like 980c egt this is very hot

but i only run my car on the dyno or down the 1/4 mile i dont do prolonged runs in 5th and 6th gear

if i did i think my engine or turbo would of destroyed itself a long time ago

i think teh resson for teh high egt is down the the injectors been maxed out and now having to increse teh duration that the injectors stay open to try and get even more fuel into teh engine

this is what causes most of teh black smoke and the high egt if you get so much black smoke this is just unburnt fuel and this can then start to combust in the exhaust manifold and cause egt to get even higher

my car needs injectors very badly now

andy550

Jan 10, 2013
Loughborough
Yeah I'm surprised you're not having exhaust problems already! How much power is it kicking out at the moment? Sounds like it's just piling fuel in for too long.

Last edited:

kilner

May 8, 2011
its in my sig :)

i was at 266 with massive smoke

be backed it off a little and got to 263 and gained a load of power in teh midrange

so i made 263bhp at 26-27psi of boost im now running 30psi of boost so power at this moment is unknown

andy550

Jan 10, 2013
Loughborough
'Lots' at the moment by the sounds of it!

Definitely get that custom turbo in. Who does your maps? Sounds like the fuels ramped up to get max power but there's not enough air for it to properly burn in.

kilner

May 8, 2011
i have a bigger than normal hybrid in as we speak but we are building a bigger

the place under the sea tryed to do my mapping it was ok but i was looking for a balls out map they made good progress on the standard pd170

but as soon as i started to put bigger hardware on they started to get lost and not able to do as i asked

so i then ended up at rs tuning

where i told him that i wanted the turbo to spool qwicker as i kno the turbo had a lot more in it than what the other place had to offer me

this was the end result at 26-27psi and reduced fueling

red line = rs tuning
green line = big fish

as you can see i lost some top end power but with the gain in the midrange and the reduced fueling im happy with the slight loss of power at the top

i even think the rs map is making more power at the top now the ecu has had time to adapt

664881_10152167171580162_2008041647_o.jpg

andy550

Jan 10, 2013
Loughborough
Yeah sounds like big fish just ramped up the fueling all over the range. If that's how they do it probably explains why their maps kick out so much smoke.

Anyone ever put sequential turbos on a PD170? I imagine not considering the insane cost it'd be!

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
big fish basically did what Me, Kilner and Wee G wanted, we asked them to push the map to the extreme

kilner

May 8, 2011
not many people bother with the pd170 the ecu is a nightmare to tune and the tuners prefer to have an easy life so they only like to tune the bosch ecu's

the biggest turbo put onto a pd170 is a gtb2260 and they are hiting around 280bhp that without water meth if yo uadd water meth you can normally add 15 to 20bhp

so you could probably make 300bhp

but the engine is allmost identical to the pd140 and they can get 320bhp out of those

so i think the major hold back on thsi engine is the ecu plus the lack of tuning parts for the injectors

the biggest injectors you can get for teh pd 170 are the bosio 850cc the guy that makes them says they are 60% over but another guy that bought them said they are more like 40% over

anything is possible if you have the money and the time to do it yourself i hate paying people to do things as it just feels like they want your money and they dont spend any time on it like they would ther own projects so you allways end up with somthing that is 70% of what it could be if you had done it yourself

any way my bed time im up at 6am :)

take care

andy550

Jan 10, 2013
Loughborough
Been looking through your thread and only just realised my brother asked some advice about doing the DPF about 2 years ago but never did.

Then he offloaded the Leon to me, who actually plans on doing it :D

mcmanus1806

Dec 31, 2013
Well today was the day! Early start up at 6am and left at 7am got to JBS @ Chesterfield at 9:30am, Dropped the car off and got the bus into Chesterfield to do some shopping!

Returned at around 15:30, Car was parked outside with a nice new Milltek Exhaust, Paid me outstanding money and was handed two RR Graphs:

Before
img019.jpg

After
img018.jpg

Just as i was about to leave the guy from behind reception said somebody's on the phone for you, I was like who?, The Manager from JBS Wanted a word! Basically hes the guy who has developed the code etc for this and just wanted to have a chat tell me whats whats etc which i thought was very nice

So i went outside and started the car, Straight away i could hear a burble from the exhaust which wasn't there before

Car goes like stink now, I didnt even use the full rev range on the way home, Went back on the cat and fiddle road and had a few quick blasts but was restricted due to lots of vans

The Milltek Non-Resonated also offers some noise when under load, Nothing Chavvy or even Petrol sounding but it sounds better

To top the whole day off JBS's Demo Leon also has the Porsche Brakes i want :VSad: oh and me Log Book finally arrived today :D

So whats next? well i think Brake upgrade and Quickshifters are going to happen in next 2-3 months then....Nothing

I will then be saving for a Phase2 kit which will most likely consist of Hybrid Turbo, Injectors, LSD ,Clutch and Flywheel and some uprated mounts etc which hopefully will push it over 300bhp but that will be in 2011

How much did the Remap cost you? Cheers, as id quite like a number of 235bhp haha!

mcmanus1806

Dec 31, 2013
So here's the EGR Delete without the Return pipe now, looks cleaner
20111031_110046.jpg

Here's my 42 Draft Design Shifter bushes (OEM ones are plastic and rubber, These are metal)
20111101_111731.jpg

Front to Back bush fitted
20111101_113501.jpg

Gear changes feel even more solid and connected now, these do need modification to work with the Forge shifters though

And some number on the way to Awesome GTI
20111031_125655.jpg

to achieve that i just changed gears under 3k and didn’t use as much Turbo, i still wasn’t going slow

Wow your mpg is amazing! i have the same engine, no remap or any mods that i know, and its getting about 44mpg on motorway at about 70-80 in 6th :( :(

AndyVTR

Mar 19, 2002
Spoke to a lad from Shark at Autosport on Saturday. They had a nice 184 Octavia that had been mapped.

Asked about DPF MOT rules and they said they gut the DPFs anyway.

My JBS has passed 4 MOTs no bother. Luckily it's not due until September. Mine has the Miltek big bore job though rather than a gutted DPF. Hopefully they can't remove any heat shields to check for it...