Angel Eyes / HID

Becks

ExtremeBlue&CandyWhite
Apr 22, 2007
Blantyre
www.facebook.com
Was having a look at the angel eyes on ebay and seriously considering them, but also wanting HID conversion. Is it possible to do both??? If not whats the issue with it??

Thanks

dmmsta

Sold car - bought bike
Feb 10, 2007
Maidstone - Kent
It is possible, but it's a lot of work.

From what i've read (from Uncle Fester & J@mes) you have to strip the bulb holder out of the Angel Eye units to modify them to be able to get the HID bulbs to fit...

Depends how much you want them really.

Have a search for the above names as they've both posted about the work needed.

Also, for Angel Eye's you have to take the front bumper off to remove the old head lamps & fit the new ones.

RikH

Texas Cowboy
Oct 17, 2005
Yorkshire
yep
no point fitting angel eyes without doing the hid conversion as they give you terrible light with OE or uprated filament bulbs

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
There's a couple of people who have done this without dismantling the lens units, having spoken to James and RobDon at length before doing mine, i decided that taking the lens units apart to do the work was the safest option. You really don't want bits of swarf and filings loose in your lens unit.

In total, probably 10 hours work including taking the bumper off the car - don't forget you'll lose the headlight level adjust and the lights will need setting up at an MOT testing station afterwards.

However having done the mod, i'd reccomend it as it cleans up the beam pattern - HID in the stock lens units is good but the beam is very scattered compared to through the projectors in the angel eye units.

Deleted member 20482

Was having a look at the angel eyes on ebay and seriously considering them, but also wanting HID conversion. Is it possible to do both??? If not whats the issue with it??

Thanks

have a word with afcajax73 think he might have his set up for grabs?
recall him saying it in a thread not long ago.
might be worth a shot ;)

Becks

ExtremeBlue&CandyWhite
Apr 22, 2007
Blantyre
www.facebook.com
Thanks thats great news and after seeing your pics i'm even more set on the idea! Being a newbie I can post in the sales section in order to source angel eyes! :([B)]

Bizz

Feeling the extra power
Apr 4, 2006
Darlington/Norwich
I spoke to j@mes before doing mine but I managed fine with a 12mm tapered round file and just took my time. I didnt get any swarth in the light units and didnt crack them either.

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
Yup i reckon if you're VERY careful you'd do it. I think you need about 1mm at the most off the holder to get the bulb located. The bulbs are such a tight tolerance, they go about 2/3rds of the way in then stick.

Just to reiiterate what others have said, do not do this if you're not going to HID them as the light output is worse than OEM and i was never impressed with the OEM lights which was why I went to HID in the first place. Also be aware that the HID bulb in the Angel Eyes is a different fit to the OEM lights :)

I picked a spare set up for about £70 or so and i reckon you'd get them for that or less if you're prepared to wait.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/seat-leon-ang...tcZphotoQQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I much prefer the look of the black ones, to the extent that i'd take the chrome ones to bits and spray the interior light mask black :)

Last edited:

65coupe

I'm too old for this!
Sep 8, 2007
Southampton
OMG! How fast do you lot drive at night?
I've put high output (sportzblue) 100w bulbs in my OEM headlights and I can see everything (even at night)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.