Annoying whine / judder / rounded Wheel bolt

lanceneoman

The Turbo Power
Aug 24, 2008
west mids
okay, yesterday i put a deposit on an audi tt quattro 225. after some thinking ive decided not to have the tt and keep my cupra t. its a 2002 60k on the clock and i paid £5000 for it only 4months ago.

looking at the 0-60 times theres only a 0.3 of a second between them and the tt'sinsurance is very high.

so, theres a few problems on my car.and please adviseme on what you lot think it is and what i should do.

1. front drivers side wheel bolt(not locking one) has been rounded of to bout a size 13mm, if you hammer a smaller socket onto it it just rounds off smaller.drilled an 8mm drill into it and it still wont come out.

2. when turning wheel hard left at aslow speed when car is warm it whines, and is very annoying.the garage had a look at it at couldnt see anything worong underneath soi dont know what do about that.

3. when starting coldfrom cold while accelerating it will judder slightly sometimes on for 1-3 seconds and then stop and wont do it again for awhile, and after driving for awhile, i'e traffic. from about 2000rpm if accelerating real gently it judders a bit then but if you floor it it stops.

numbers 2 & 3 i know alot of guys on here have the same problems but i thought id savemoneygetting this fixed than buying a tt.

thanks guys :)

Aug 24, 2007
3. any chance your car has poly bushes fitted? Mine has the dogbone mounts and judders if the revs aren't right

If I drive off before the auto choke has done its work the car feels very lumpy, worth waiting the extra minute ;)

lanceneoman

The Turbo Power
Aug 24, 2008
west mids
thats what it probalbyis is the choke. its the whining that dies my head in. and the fact i cant get the wheel boltoff. lol

vwbassett

Joined the Dark Side
Aug 13, 2007
Surrey
1.) take it to a garage they get rounded wheel bolts all the time and pay them to get it off.
2.) Wheres the noise comming from? get it jacked up(not on boot jack) check every bush for cracks, deterioration and play dont forget the top mounts take them off and check the bearings.
3.) not sure could be alot of things is performance good still? service it and clean ignition components up, try changing fuel filter run some v-max/fuel cleaner through it

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
No.2: are you holding it on full lock? If so, it could be the power steering pump. The users manual warns against holding the steering on full lock for too long.

lanceneoman

The Turbo Power
Aug 24, 2008
west mids
no not on full lock when turning a left corner slowly well 15mph ish. and it does it slightly when turning right. could it be the belt?

vee_dub_modder

Volkswagen racing tech-pt
Feb 19, 2008
Midlands
halfords do locking wheel nut removal tools. i know its not a locking nut you have rounded but it may work. Its basically an impact socket (2 sizes in the kit) with a reverse thread inside that winds over the bolt and grips it that way. failing that its a steady hand and a drill you'll need on that nut. better get it done now mind rather than waiting for a flat on the motorway!

All the ideas judder above sounds about right... although if its only from cold then it may be a little clutch judder like the trouble with the latest the vaux corsa's?? just a shot in the dark there mind.
the slave's/master cylinders stick slightly on some leons/ibiza's also. (mine being one of them) change fluid (didnt work on mine mind) or cylinders.

as for the whyne noise i'd again agree with the above. poss low p.a.s fluid, pump noise. though id no one can fault i wouldnt worry to much untill it gets worse.

lanceneoman

The Turbo Power
Aug 24, 2008
west mids
okay thanks, ive got a impact socket removal but no good wont fit into the alloy. im going to take it to a car place later and see if they can get it off.(the wheel bolt)

as for the whining its not gettting worse but i want to get everything sorted.and i know a few poeple on here has the same problem

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.